Opinion Kick After The Siren For The 2024 Flag

Who do you want taking the shot after the siren to win the Flag?

• Logan

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • McLean

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Heeney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Papley

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Reid

• Hayward

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Parker

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Wicks

• Mills

• Chad

• Errol

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Adams

• Gus

• McInerney

• Grundy

• Campbell

• Lllllloyd

• Lizard

• Florent

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Sir Dane

• Armatey

• McCartin

• Rowy

• Roberts

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s Saturday 28th September 2024.

Swans down by 5 in the dying stages of the Grand Final.

The kick goes inside 50 & it’s a Swans mark!

The siren sounds!

It’s a set shot from 40m out, directly in front to win the Flag!

A hush falls over the MCG!

Who do you want with Sherrin in hand?

Last edited:

I was sure you’d be Hayward’s first vote GuH!

Haha… confess I swiftly passed his name and Heeneys as well.

Did think about Errol as well. I’d back him on the run from 55 with three seconds on the clock.

Juzzy Mac is also a decent set shot. It is weird I trust Ollie, Lloyd and Liz ahead of half our forwards.

1: Parker
2: Errol
3: McLean

Adding Mclean in after recalling that awesome goal from the sideline last year in the final against Carlton. Pressure situation and from the side, nailed it.

True. Has a pretty decent technique as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If actually go with exactly the same 3 ….. unless there was a mysterious breeze blowing as Ollie lined it up.
Forgot about Lloyd, he's a fair shot and has got a bit of boot on him. My only caveat is the sample size is rather low.

Rampe. Dunno if he could but would be the best feel good player to do it

Fantastic thought.

Years on and random Oppo posters still reference Ramps efforts in scaling the goal post. Footy fans would lose their collective minds and mostly in a positive manner if he took the kick and converted.

I can't take the votes for Hayward seriously. I am forced to take the vote for Blakey seriously but he would not be in my top 10. Possibly not even top 20. He's a neat field kick but he's not a goalkicker. I think it's a temperament thing and so could change with time.

I voted for someone overlooked and underrated: Mills. However, I'd also be happy with Parker, McLean, McDonald, Errol and, in the specific scenario we have been given, Florent and even Lloyd. I think it comes down to that mental element which Parker absolutely has and which I think Mills has too. McDonald is good, especially with his well defined routine. Overall I would back McDonald to kick more goals than McLean but in this specific scenario I would back McLean ahead of Logan. I think McLean's success has been built on tremendous hard work and having to back himself.

Conversely, possibly part of the problem for players like Heeney, Hayward and Blakey is their immense talent that has bred some slight sloppiness that undermines their reliability sometimes.

Logan and Errol have good techniques but still pull the odd simple set shot. If there's one bloke who just seems to slot every shot he takes its Jmac. Actually have no memory of him missing. No player fills me with more confidence than him lining up.

I am forced to take the vote for Blakey seriously but he would not be in my top 10. Possibly not even top 20. He's a neat field kick but he's not a goalkicker.
When we were using him forward and on the wing I would often joke with my family that if I ever wanted Blakey to take a set shot for my life, that was a sign I was asking for help and wasn't OK. Deadset the last player I want taking a set shot

Back