Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people have said he was tried and failed down back in the ressies a few years ago,.. but that was then! I still think Amartey can be a good KPD , he has all the right attributes. Given our current squad’s main weakness is KPD’s (god help us if McCartin gets injured), I think it’s worth giving him another crack at playing down back? (perhaps after another stint there in the ressies)
PS. a lot of ppl opposed me when I continually said Heeney should spend more time in the middle… and the Dees game proved he’s right up to it.
How many opposed you ?

We've got Lloyd & Rampe, Cuningham who will need to be replaced in the next few years. In the meantime Roberts can learn his craft in the backline and gel with the rest of the young fellas.

Smooch is a high bar to set, 307. I view him as one of the best negating backmen I've ever seen, in any team. But I think what you're comparing to is the coaches ability to back themselves on players - they were very bullish about him coming into this year already and they very much like that booming boot of his.
Correct. I used to wonder how Smooch kept getting games in those early days, but the coaching staff were 200% right! Didn’t rate Roberts much last year either but u can start seeing what the coaches see in him now, so kudos to them for backing him 👍

Picked this stat up .
Centre attendance.
18 Warner
14 Heeney
13 Gulden
10 Rowy
8 Papley
5 JJ
4 McInerney
Will be interesting with Mills and Parks back
CBAs are available on the AFL app bedders.

Probably not a need for Papley, Jordon & McInerney once the veterans return.

… but did we get on top of their midfield? Grundy and Heeney had super games but he rest lowered their colours imo.

i have to disagree, and i'll cite jack viney ... i think he's one of the most overrated mids in the competition, and i cannot believe his game was so highly rated the other night
he got a lot of the ball, he usually does, and he wasted so much of it, as he usually does ... and he's treacle slow
as i said in i think the autopsy thread, if viney is their best midfielder in any given game, the demons are in strife
if viney was a sydney player he'd be number one whipping boy
rowbottom (as much as you'll be grinding your teeth, uncle!), warner and mcinerney all had more impact than petracca and oliver
have a look at the melbourne board's "good, bad and fugly" thread

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have to disagree, and i'll cite jack viney ... i think he's one of the most overrated mids in the competition, and i cannot believe his game was so highly rated the other night
he got a lot of the ball, he usually does, and he wasted so much of it, as he usually does ... and he's treacleslow
as i said in i think the autopsy thread, if viney is their best midfielder in any given game, the demons are in strife
if viney was a sydney player he'd be number one whipping boy
rowbottom (as much as you'll be grinding your teeth, uncle!), warner and mcinerney all had more impact than petracca and oliver
have a look at the melbourne board's "good, bad and fugly" thread
Viney is a very good player a hard nut who would walk in to any team . kicked the goal when it was needed .

Viney was awesome IMO. 30 & 2 gets you votes in nearly every game. We could talk about his ball use but that'd also backfire on nearly all our mids except Heeney who really was as clean as a whistle.

If anyone was unlucky to not get votes I'd say it was Rowbottom. Something feels off about lauding a win built on pressure and contest work and then not recognising the one player who, Heeney aside, offered the most in both areas.

Viney is a very good player a hard nut who would walk in to any team . kicked the goal when it was needed .

he would walk into a team coz that's about top speed for him
he's a hard nut, yes, a slow, hard nut ... and he gave the ball back to us several times ... as he does in most games he plays
he can walk into your team, his best was several years ago

he's a hard nut, yes, a slow, hard nut ... and he gave the ball back to us several times ... as he does in most games he plays
Really , we will agree to disagree , i don't like the bloke , but he's a bloody good player , what were the stats on some of ours turning it over , or passing to May

Reckon you could say this about Parker in all honesty.

CD is sad
I think they're useful for stats (kicks, marks, tackles etc), but when they try to extrapolate that data to rate players it is cockeyed.

As per the graphic no Grundy or Blakey, but Petracca gets a nod from Thursday's game.
Unsurprisingly the coaches in their votes held a far different view.

I also recall Mason Cox being rated as 'elite' going into 2022 primarily because of his goalkicking accuracy (14.2 from 11 games) and his ability to take a contested mark.

To be fair to Cox he did see the absurdity and commented “Not quite sure what the @championdata algorithm is, but I can only assume it factors in height as a priority.”

Reckon you could say this about Parker in all honesty.

i largely agree, and that's the flipside to my point about viney ... several swans posters take shots at parker, rowbottom et al, but will talk up the likes of viney ...
but i'll repeat (again) my original point, which was specifically about the result the other night, and from melbourne's perspective: if viney is listed melbourne's best in any given game, melbourne are in trouble

i largely agree, and that's the flipside to my point about viney ... several swans posters take shots at parker, rowbottom et al, but will talk up the likes of viney ...
but i'll repeat (again) my original point, which was specifically about the result the other night, and from melbourne's perspective: if viney is listed melbourne's best in any given game, melbourne are in trouble
FWIW i've never bagged Parker or Rowy , just think your too harsh on Viney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back