Autopsy Good win against Tricky opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

5-2 Hayward
2-5 Rowell
4-3 Warner
1-4 Blakey
3-1 Papley
Might make a little more sense.
Can swap the top 3 into any order. Still weird how 1 coach say someone as the best and the other had 3 above them

rowell was good ... but no way at all a gold coast player was best on ground on saturday
and arguably no sun was top three

Sorry I love him but Warner should not have been within a ten mile radius of the votes. He had 28 touches, great. I went back and watched them and 4 of them were quality. The rest all ranged from pointless to disastrous.

I also don't think there were 7 votes difference in the games of Hayward & Heeney. The former might've had two goals more but the heat maps show Heeney was also doing a lot of his damage further up the ground. Fair enough if one sneaks in while the other misses out, but 7 votes for one and none for the other feels disproportionate to their games.

Warner was third in metres gained, third in clearances, second in contested possessions and first in disposals on the ground. Throw in a couple of goals and 25 pressure acts.

Seems reasonable as to why the coaches gave him votes. He did let himself down as the leader in clangers. Horse praised him post match so it seems he did well.

Warner was third in metres gained, third in clearances, second in contested possessions and first in disposals on the ground. Throw in a couple of goals and 25 pressure acts.

Seems reasonable as to why the coaches gave him votes. He did let himself down as the leader in clangers. Horse praised him post match so it seems he did well.
Got caught holding the ball multiple times as well.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My (possibly faulty) memory is that over the years we’ve managed to pull a couple of surprise wins out of the bag at AO against both Crows and Port. Here’s hoping we add another to the tally.
100% we seem to play Adelaide quite well, same with Footy park back in the day.

Crows seem to have turned AO into a fortress this season. Have played some exhilarating stuff, still fancy out chances.

On his day Hayward has the potential to be one of the best small forwards in the comp imo.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You could say that about a lot of Best 22 small/medium forwards though.

If everyone has their day, he's not even in our Top 2 small/medium forwards. And that's fine, he doesn't need to be.

Having watched the full game here are just some of my opinions:

The forwards - Whilst the Swans have always had a strong Key Forward in the form of Franklin or Hall, I genuinely believe if everyone stays fit, the combination that McDonald, McLean and Amartey will be the club's strongest it has had (particularly with Heneey, Hayward, Wicks and Papley as the smaller units). One of the big improvements that has led to our kicking streak is also the goal kicking. Having watched The Round So Far on the AFL website, we are currently the most accurate goal kicking team in the competition between rounds 18 - 22 at 67.6%. A lot of our close losses earlier in the year was due to poor goal kicking and even in games we got over run at the end could have been wins if we kicked straight when the momentum was with us.

The midfield - Probably the main area of concern and well documented by everyone. It might be an issue with our combinations in centre bounces, the ruck or the positioning. As individuals, the Swans have really good ball hunters (Rowbottom, Mills, Gulden, Parker) and good distributors/runners on the outside (Gulden, JMac, Campbell, Warner) but it doesn't click for the full four quarters which is why the team has periods where they get absolutely dominated in the middle and takes a lot of effort to regain the lead. At centre bounces, my personal opinion would consider having two quality ball winners and one good distributor/runner (i.e. Potential Combos: Rowbottom, Mills, Gulden or Rowbottom, Parker, Warner or Mills, Parker, Warner or etc..). The current interpretation of our mids mindset is to negate or even the contest against the opposition mids instead of trying to get themselves into aggressive positions and outmanoeuvre them with quality handball chains...Which again is strange, because in general play throughout the year, they have shown they can clearly do this just fine.

The defense - Looking much stronger compared to the start of the year. Even when the mids are getting dominated, the defense has really held up really well. Francis continues to improve with more time playing in defense (and clearly shouldn't play in the forward half...EVER!). Tom M, Blakey were intercepting wonderfully too. Fox, Lloyd and Florent provided good run from the defensive half.

The inclusions - Congrats to Roberts on his first goal, lovely on the non-preferred foot. Wasn't much for him to do yesterday, but he provided some good kicks to the corridor. Stephens game was also an interesting watch. He had some really quality moments like running back to take the mark, crashing in the bigger bodies to tackle or get the ball and then his air swing in defense that led to a goal. He currently is fit and gets to a lot of the action. Hope he stays and the club finds ways to improve his game because I do see a lot of upside in him.
Cunningham deserves credit too. He's become a very capable small defender, having re-invented himself yet again after a quiet 2022. He's quick, determined, smart and a good ball user. He's integrated his efforts with the rest of the defence, improving as the year has gone on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I love him but Warner should not have been within a ten mile radius of the votes. He had 28 touches, great. I went back and watched them and 4 of them were quality. The rest all ranged from pointless to disastrous.

I also don't think there were 7 votes difference in the games of Hayward & Heeney. The former might've had two goals more but the heat maps show Heeney was also doing a lot of his damage further up the ground. Fair enough if one sneaks in while the other misses out, but 7 votes for one and none for the other feels disproportionate to their games.
Heeney was brilliant early but faded as the game went on.

Hayward basically tagged one of the best defensive interceptors this year, Ballard, minimised his influence and also kicked 4 goals.

Was Wills best game for us IMO, neutralised their best defender and kicked a career best for goals.

Two goals a assist and the leading disposal getter on the ground. I agree it was an almost game for Warner and that plenty of what he tried didnt come off but he was absolutely one of the most influential Players.

Cunningham deserves credit too. He's become a very capable small defender, having re-invented himself yet again after a quiet 2022. He's quick, determined, smart and a good ball user. He's integrated his efforts with the rest of the defence, improving as the year has gone on.
Love the credit to Cunningham, but it's not like he's suddenly re-invented himself as a small defender. He was playing well in that role for 2 years before losing form last year.

Love the credit to Cunningham, but it's not like he's suddenly re-invented himself as a small defender. He was playing well in that role for 2 years before losing form last year.

I wrote that he's become a very capable small defender. So you agree with me that he lost form, before he "re-invented himself yet again after a quiet 2022"

Did I also mispell pedantic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back