Autopsy Blew our chances against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sums up where we're at perfectly imo

Who's going to stand up and want the responsibility and the big moments?

Who's going to execute under pressure, who's going to will themselves and everyone around them to win the big moments consistently?

Hope it stings boys

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, BUT, I'm really happy with this result,

IMO, we look like we would've been thrashed against Melbourne who are another level better than Carlton, and to go out on a close heart breaker is so much more rewarding than going out on a 80-point demolishing.

All signs showed improvement at the end of the year, and I look forward to seeing us next year

Not a lot of positives, but...

• Melican, McCartin and Blakey were superb down back. Goal threat of the two main talls + resting ruck was almost none.
  • Not sure if Amartey is in our best 22 come round one in 2024. Just doesn't do the basics well enough for long enough.
  • Parker should've been up forward from the first minute of the game.
  • Really wish we didn't have to use one of our best midfielders (Mills) as a tagger.
  • Sick of seeing us in a lot of finals just lose structure everywhere and resort to bombing it to a 1v3 or 2v4. Cost us so much, especially in the last quarter.
  • McLean was just about best on ground. Unreal performance.

Incredible effort to come back when we could have capitulated.

Horse masterclass in the second half. Fantastic adjustments that completely changed the game.

I have to admit I've had my doubts about McCartin but he was simply incredible tonight. McLean and Blakey right there with him. Hickey and Parker stepped up enormously in the second half.

Really proud of the effort over the back half of the season. We were dead and buried but kept fighting and there are definitely some green shoots for next year.

I bloody love this club.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, BUT, I'm really happy with this result,

IMO, we look like we would've been thrashed against Melbourne who are another level better than Carlton, and to go out on a close heart breaker is so much more rewarding than going out on a 80-point demolishing.

All signs showed improvement at the end of the year, and I look forward to seeing us next year
Completely agree. We were never going deep this year. Take the experience and the early break and go into the next preseason fit and hungry.

Ah well, bugger. Blues too good in the first half congrats to them. Kicked ourselves out of the game, but geez I dunno why but Im so *ing proud. To be on the canvas looking like we were to done, to come back and turn the game around was great.

Tom McCartin on Curnow, take a bow, brilliant. Gulden was inspirational, imagine if he had that 3rd goal. So much to love with that second half, but were done.

However, close finals loss gallant performance, early preseason which we desperately need, hopefully a good trade period. Could set us up for a great 2024. Been a year to forget, but to go out like that is somewhat fitting but gallant.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too surprised as I thought like many that we were pretty lucky to make the 8 in the first place. Still disappointing to come so close of course. Early goal kicking misses really hurt, just played really timid the first half, hopefully they learn from that.

McCartin I'm seeing future all Australian with that performance tonight, he really was that good.

Definitely issues up forward with such a young trio in McDonald, Amartey and McLean. Post Buddy was always gunna be a factor up there. Give them time I reckon, they've all shown enough.

Just needed Hayward and Papley to bob up with a couple goals, wasn't to be.

Changes half time really worked a treat, can't blame Horse reckon he did all he could. Didn't mind fox half forward pushing towards the contest as the sub either.

Great effort to turn the season around from where the Swans were in the bottom 4 not long ago.

Carlton's run in the first half got them in front and Weitering destroyed so many Swans opportunities inside 50. He was incredible for the Blues and was eventually manned up by Parker but by then the damage had already been done.

Didn't see the corridore get used in the first half and the straight kicks down the line are never going to work for Swans team.

Thought it was going to be a GF score line at half time but the Bloods turned it around in the last quarter and just fell short.

Hope the handball transitions get worked on over the off season as it's an area of deficiency for the Swans. A ruckman and KPD will go a long way towards correcting deficiencies.

Thank you Tom Hickey for your service along with Paddy McCartin and the legend and immortal that is Buddy Franklin.

Kudos for the Blues for being better on the night and more accurate in front of goal. It's going to be a long off season although at least it won't be as long as the Crows offseason is.

Congrats Swans on the never say die attitude in season 2023. They are winners in my mind even with the finals over and will continue to improve from here.

Proud of what we showed there. We didn’t pack it in, we fought it out and lead by some of our young guns.

It hurts but getting so close in a big MCG final against an in form team, coming back multiple times, is not to be taken for granted.

Some will stick the boot in but I hope most of us here are proud of what they saw. It’s not easy and we showed grit when many thought we’d give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCartin, Gulden and McLean take a bow. Unbelievable performances from them. Arguably career best given the circumstances.

Blows my mind we only lost this by 6 points. 6 points! We were hideous all game!!!

McLean, Gulden, McCartin, and Blakey take a bow. Fantastic all game.

Disappointing to lose any final, but to be realistic we were never going to win the Premiership this season. Just can't get my head around the fact we only lost by 6 points despite being so pathetic tonight.

Well, we go again next season! See you then!

Sums up where we're at perfectly imo

Who's going to stand up and want the responsibility and the big moments?

Who's going to execute under pressure, who's going to will themselves and everyone around them to win the big moments consistently?

Hope it stings boys
Amazingly McLean is going to stand up in big moments. Gulden too, Blakey did pretty well also.

Disappointing, but can’t knock the team’s effort.

Parker going forward changed the game. Sign of things to come.

McLean, McCartin, Lloyd, Gulden and Campbell were terrific.

Congrats to RJ on a great game & Swans career.
McLean and mills, McCartin, Mexican were great. Jmac underdone. Warner not doing enough/too much with the ball. Poor from him. Needs to adjust his game a bit because it isn’t stacking up in finals. Heeney wtf? Braeden couldn’t decide his way out of a paper bag. And we still almost won!! Future is still looking good for us. I won’t comment on the coaching /bombing in forward line during 1H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back