Autopsy Swans clinch double chance 14 point winners against St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the ground, one Saints fan near me was upset I was picking on Jones the whole night

Rowbottom is amazing. Right when everyone started putting time into Warner he just steps up and is fantastic. BOG for us

Heeney and Hayward did some really good things all game. As did McDonald. Why do we keep putting the ball onto Buddy's head when he has never been a contested mark?

I am worried about the big key forwards not because of T.Mac's form (which is down a bit, admittedly) but because of clearance work and particularly our centre clearance work. Hanner's was easily BOG for the game but he is retiring and destroyed us. The clearance work of Melbourne and Geelong will cause a massive headache when Gawn (BOG last we played them) and Hawkins are lurking deep forward

J.Mac was alright except for those 2 dropped marks in the centre of the ground. He takes those and we go inside 50. He drops them and they score twice.

I hope Papley is alright
I put my hand up here and say I was wrong. Never denied he was hard as a cats head but knocked his decision making. He is turning into a star before our eyes. Heart of a Lion, hard as reinforced concrete, tackling machine who will tackle anything that moves and one percenter king. No bull**** about him looking for options behind because when he is in the contest we are only going in one direction and that is forward. Him and Hayward in that last 7 or 8 minutes were through the roof.

Wicks strength was his ability to get into a position to impact, either by crumbing or applying tackling pressure.

He just doesn’t seem (?) to be doing so this year - albeit I have no idea why.

We will persevere with him i have no doubt but yes nowhere near the impact he had in 2021.

I think there was a family member who posts on here i hope im not being to disrespectful if they could share a little bit if he is doing ok :)

I personally don’t post much on game day threads because so often, by the time I’ve posted, the moment has passed, which is why I skim whole pages anyway, but I think you need to cut people a bit of slack.

As I’ve commented a few times, for a lot of people, following a footy team is like a cross between their daily soapie and a childrens’ pantomime.
This was the first and definitely the last time I'll look at game day posts.

But Bandi wasn't talking about the GameDay thread, he distinctly said The Preview Thread - and he's 100% correct!

Speak for yourself Kirksy, my loungeroom becomes an R rated zone during games, - ANY GAMES! Even the West Coast one where we were mopping the floor with them from the first bounce I was yelling, screaming and swearing at the TV like an old sailor.
Love it!!!

And okay, but some of them have wives and little ones to deal with...

Rowbottom & Warner are going to be a ******* nightmare for opposition teams for the next decade. How do you stop them?! They are both so difficult to tackle and you can tag one, and the other will kill you. And even if one of them is tagged, they both offer ways of contributing even if they're not having a big game - Warner with his goals, Rowbottom with his tackling. So a tag will likely never truly take them out of the game. They are going to be deadly in a few years time.

And that's before you get to a bloke named Callum Mills.

Bloody exciting for the future and I couldn't be happier to say I was wrong about the club's midfield stocks back when I was saying we had nothing but Rowbottom going forward. Horse & co knew what they were working with, and have gradually implemented them into the midfield without panicking. Love to see it.

Got howled down for this here a couple of weeks ago. He has been awful. Drops marks he now should be taking, goes to ground and to often puts himself out of the contest and trails in on every lead by opposition forward. He needs to find something fast or he and we could be in strife. Hawkins or Lynch would murder him and ultimately Us. Mids especially out of the middle losing clearance don't help his cause either in fairness.
He's had 2-3 poor games out of 23. That's not too bad imo. But as I've regularly said here, it's so easy to look at negatives and ignore all the good games.
If you were to drop him, who would you replace him with?

McCartin is giving away far too many frees atm. He really needs to tighten that up.

Not enough love in the afl world for warners goal. That break away speed has not been seen since prime judd and his ability to kick at top speed is unbelievable

Very close to GOTY.

He’s making a habit of those bursts from the middle which end with him kicking a goal.

He’s played less than 40 games. Just let that sink in for a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowbottom & Warner are going to be a ******* nightmare for opposition teams for the next decade. How do you stop them?! They are both so difficult to tackle and you can tag one, and the other will kill you. And even if one of them is tagged, they both offer ways of contributing even if they're not having a big game - Warner with his goals, Rowbottom with his tackling. So a tag will likely never truly take them out of the game. They are going to be deadly in a few years time.

And that's before you get to a bloke named Callum Mills.

Bloody exciting for the future and I couldn't be happier to say I was wrong about the club's midfield stocks back when I was saying we had nothing but Rowbottom going forward. Horse & co knew what they were working with, and have gradually implemented them into the midfield without panicking. Love to see it.

Our resurgence over the last 24 months has been nothing short of incredible. It’s the perfect rebuild.

We have guns all over the place and most of them are still underrated by the footy media and honestly I’m ok with that. We just casually slotted a top 5 pick into the mix (Stephens) and he’s blossoming before our eyes, yet he’s not even close to his peak.

We’re very lucky to follow this club.

I have to pay respect to rowbottom, he's been cranking it up over the last few weeks, but took it to another level yesterday. There was one play in particular where he kept going from contest to contest and made st kilda earn it.

Haywood as well, very mature performance, won most of his 1 on 1s, provided a great marking target and filled the void papley left, and kicked 3. Stepped up when out other avenues weren't getting it done.

Stephens impressed me as well. I had question marks over his ability to stand up, but his performance yesterday gave me confidence he'll be able to perform his role during finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very close to GOTY.

He’s making a habit of those bursts from the middle which end with him kicking a goal.

He’s played less than 40 games. Just let that sink in for a moment.

He's drawing comparisons to Judd, that suggests he's held in pretty high regard. He could be even better than Judd imo.

He's had 2-3 poor games out of 23. That's not too bad imo. But as I've regularly said here, it's so easy to look at negatives and ignore all the good games.
If you were to drop him, who would you replace him with?
I personally think he has had more than 2-3 bad games and has had some very solid ones. If you think he is going well at the moment that's your opinion and fine. I think he can get better no doubt but right now he is off. I am not suggesting we drop him as I agree with you he is the only player suited to playing the role he does. It's not negative its fact. He is a worry going into the finals but he is no different to say Lloyd's (who has been real good lately ) Erratic kicking as a worry at times. You just hope they are on their game and at their best on any given day.

Last edited:
I am absolutely stoked to finish 3rd.... didn't think it could happen after the bombers loss but to their credit the guys have fired when it mattered.

I am also not too concerned about the narrow win, we were definitely sub-par but better yesterday than in two weeks time. Can't wait to drive down for that one!

He's drawing comparisons to Judd, that suggests he's held in pretty high regard. He could be even better than Judd imo.
It's hard to find a comparison for Warner. Very few players have the combination of power, speed, attack on the footy and skill he possesses.

Even though he missed, his standing checkside from 48m was incredible. It should be impossible to generate the power he did on that kick

7:17 King on Paddy - the MRO has a look at this
(Pleased Tom went to check on Paddy, just as Mills went to defend Wicks)
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I didn't love that Paddy was so quick to just forget about the game to check on Tom. I love how close and supportive of each other they are, but Paddy literally left his man unattended so he could check on his brother. Opposition coaches will absolutely take notice of things like that and if it becomes apparent that all you have to do to take Paddy's mind out of the game is get at his brother, then Tom is going to be copping this every week.

Another impressive sign is blakey. We all know he's not the heftiest guy out there but that's twice in the past 3 weeks he's come off blood streaming from the head . He is really cracking in.

The level of footy he is producing and the development he has shown, is criminally underrated outside swan world
Unfortunately for Blakey, he might have to become prolific to get that recognition. He's already damaging - I'd argue there's no half back more damaging in the game, and his impact is every bit as big as Sinclair or Saad or Daicos from half as many disposals.

But the shame is that disposal counts are often all the media care about.

Although he does tick all three boxes required to be a favourite of the media: weird hair, a nickname, and highlights.

Have we been too slow to address McInerney's form? One game out from finals and that was just about his worst one yet. I just wonder if maybe if we had given him a few games in the reserves 6-7 weeks ago when his form started to look really worrying, if he'd be back to his best now at the right time of year. Instead he's become so unrecognisable to the classy, confident player we know he can be and you have to wonder if it's gonna get any better now that it's nearly September?

I know he wasn't alone today but geez, the rest at least have some great form behind them over the last however many weeks.
I will say it straight out. He needs to be harder. One of those 2 fumbles in the middle he was just plain limp the other a rabbit in the head lights fumble. He looks like he is lacking confidence and that is a shame as he is such an important player to our chances come finals. Start by putting your head over the ball Justin, take some body contact and win some contests and you will be brand new.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I didn't love that Paddy was so quick to just forget about the game to check on Tom. I love how close and supportive of each other they are, but Paddy literally left his man unattended so he could check on his brother. Opposition coaches will absolutely take notice of things like that and if it becomes apparent that all you have to do to take Paddy's mind out of the game is get at his brother, then Tom is going to be copping this every week.
Why will it be unpopular ? It’s correct.

Why will it be unpopular ? It’s correct.
I dunno, feels harsh to say Paddy's immediate concern shouldn't be on his brother when he sees him on the turf, especially given his history with concussions and how sensitive he'd be to that. I just think he's gotta keep some composure there and not allow opposition teams to exploit that he's an emotional bloke and a protective big brother.

I dunno, feels harsh to say Paddy's immediate concern shouldn't be on his brother when he sees him on the turf, especially given his history with concussions and how sensitive he'd be to that. I just think he's gotta keep some composure there and not allow opposition teams to exploit that he's an emotional bloke and a protective big brother.
Wouldn't surprise me if Tom has already had a quiet word to him............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back