Autopsy Swans clinch double chance 14 point winners against St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put my hand up here and say I was wrong. Never denied he was hard as a cats head but knocked his decision making. He is turning into a star before our eyes. Heart of a Lion, hard as reinforced concrete, tackling machine who will tackle anything that moves and one percenter king. No bull**** about him looking for options behind because when he is in the contest we are only going in one direction and that is forward. Him and Hayward in that last 7 or 8 minutes were through the roof.
Hayward has improved out of sight

My favourite moment from yesterday's game was not a highlight, but a lowlight, purely because of how funny it was. Only thing missing was Benny Hill music.

They say it's a good thing to be a mobile big man, but in Sam Reid's case here, he was too mobile for his own good. Spun himself into confusion and just butchers the kick in one of the most un-co moments of his career :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 1487148

just too much thinking time

if he is 50 out and no time to think he probably slots a nice goal

set shot 20 out with all the time more likely to miss imo

Max King will make a lot of backman look s**t

Got howled down for this here a couple of weeks ago. He has been awful. Drops marks he now should be taking, goes to ground and to often puts himself out of the contest and trails in on every lead by opposition forward. He needs to find something fast or he and we could be in strife. Hawkins or Lynch would murder him and ultimately Us. Mids especially out of the middle losing clearance don't help his cause either in fairness.
I think he is just out of form, main concern in the team for mine.

There have been a few times he has faced challenges and eventually comes good.

Hope he turns it on v Melbourne.

Imagine Lloyd had 5 kicked on him and the reaction here!

I think he is just out of form, main concern in the team for mine.

There have been a few times he has faced challenges and eventually comes good.

Hope he turns it on v Melbourne.

Imagine Lloyd had 5 kicked on him and the reaction here!
Remember we were s**t as well in the middle , no Papley and they got it in and they are still s**t

Remember we were s**t as well in the middle , no Papley and they got it in and they are still s**t
Our centre clearance numbers were grim. Only two permanent mids registered a centre clearance (Rowbottom & Parker, two each.) The rest were Heeney (who was only at three centre bounces) and Hickey (who only had one.)

Repeat that against Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw etc, it'll be goodnight irene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the lowest pressure rating game from us for a long time.

Our pressure was below average for the entire game.
We'd played pretty balls to the wall for six weeks leading into this game. We really seemed like we had very little left to give. Forward pressure wasn't great, we weren't manning up around the ground, our midfield seemed so sluggish. Against decent opposition who were giving their all, we did well to come away with the win, even if it really came down some individual efforts rather than any meaningful execution of game plan.

Late to the thread and probably all been said, but just some thoughts.

We were surprisingly flat. Intensity/pressure that has been a hallmark of late wasn't there for most of the game.
Did what we had to do, when we needed to.
Week off now to rest, recuperate and plan for Melbourne. I think refreshing mentally will be as important as the physical tune up.

It's been a topic of discussion for some time and I'm generally in the not a problem category, but gee we kicked to Buddy a lot yesterday.
Sure our CHF in Papley wasn't there for some of the day, Logan is struggling in the marking component of his game, but I thought Franklin was targeted too often, when he wasn't the best option.

McInerney & T.Mac have been a bit off in recent games. Hopefully the week off will reinvigorate them.
On the other hand guys like Hayward, Heeney and Rowbottom in fine form again.
Our recent introductions in Fox, Stephens and Clarke continued to contribute. I've included Clarke as though he wasn't quite clamp tight on Sinclair, I thought he was an important fwd link player in the first half.

Warner quieter game on the stats sheet, but some important moments, including a decent old goal. :)
Not a big man, but his power, strength and belief, a joy to watch.

End of H&A season ladder positions last 3 years, 16th, 6th, 3rd.
Good time to be a Swans fan.

And thanks Hanners. :thumbsu:

We'd played pretty balls to the wall for six weeks leading into this game. We really seemed like we had very little left to give. Forward pressure wasn't great, we weren't manning up around the ground, our midfield seemed so sluggish. Against decent opposition who were giving their all, we did well to come away with the win, even if it really came down some individual efforts rather than any meaningful execution of game plan.

this sounds like some kind of weird and unpleasantly painful schoolyard game

We were surprisingly flat. Intensity/pressure that has been a hallmark of late wasn't there for most of the game.
Did what we had to do, when we needed to.
Week off now to rest, recuperate and plan for Melbourne. I think refreshing mentally will be as important as the physical tune up.
This is really my sentiments for the game. In no way am I taking it as an indication of how well we can perform

I can't help but think our players were unsettled and bringing pressure on themselves. They certainly unsettled fans. The players knew they had to win to get the double chance. They knew that getting two home finals required that they kick a big score, thus heaping pressure on them whenever they missed a shot or the opposition got a goal. They would (quite naturally) have been thinking a bit about self-preservation. Others were worrying that a big personal impact on the game was needed to keep their spot in the team. Wicks was a classic example of trying so hard to do the impressive things that he forgot to do the basics.

What a bunch of confusing motives for such a young team. It showed too. Instead of just trusting in the coach and following instructions they were second guessing themselves at times. In such situations the leaders need to be leading by example, moving around to teammates and trying to get them singing from the same hymn sheet. Saints kept us in the game while they made unforced errors but when these were sorted out they became devastating.

We can't afford to have such howler filled games in the finals. My ticker can't take any more "WTF Lloyd?" moments. I've never been so pleased to see Hayward step up against the pressure, though he owed it after an earlier kamikaze pass into the corridor that didn't have enough carry and left us wide open on the intercept.

It's hard to tell what a player will do under pressure. Stephens was surprisingly cool-headed while Gulden panicked. Normally cool Fox was rattled while Florent was much calmer out of defence. Reid was a rock (again). Those octopus arms are everywhere. Shame he left his kicking boots at home. Heeney was unchilled while Warner seemed to struggle a bit with the attention.

Hickey needs to sort out his ruck timing. He often jumps too early and seems almost surprised that gravity refuses to let him hang in the air, as it does for Heeney. Reid may be shorter in the ruck but his timing and second efforts are better.

We also need to sort out the get out of jail marks between centre wing and half back flank. Buddy isn't a big pack marker. Our players trust Reid will clunk a contested mark, or Heeney/Hayward, but McDonald is still a bit of an unknown quantity. There's a lot more work to go into him. Amartey seems to be the better mark in general play. One of the problems is a lack of player movement. When players aren't moving it becomes makes it obvious Reid (or Buddy or McDonald) will be used as the get out of jail free player so opposition players just sweat on the them. It makes the game congested. Lots of fast movement through half back to the centre, transitioning into the corridor, is the most dangerous weapon of our arsenal. It's our one wood. The rest is just gut running to get in behind defenders and create options aplenty inside 50.

Just on the game plan bit.... I don't think we went out there to play our "normal" game plan. I have a theory about this, but not willing to share until seasons end.

People had been carrying on like Saints had nothing to play for. Very shallow analysis.

After a season where they’d showed early promise and then fallen away, this was their chance to finish the season on a high note with a major scalp, and they very nearly did it.

Horseschitte they had nothing to play for.
Being at the ground, their fans were very keen for a win so I'm guessing the team was as well.

Official Preview thread is now up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back