Autopsy Blew our chances against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious once again
I know its unlikely to ever get brought in. But if HIA protocols dictate a player must stay off field for 20min after an assessment. Then if someone takes a cheap shot that necessitates the need for an assessment then it's only fair for that player to sit that period out as well.

I know its unlikely to ever get brought in. But if HIA protocols dictate a player must stay off field for 20min after an assessment. Then if someone takes a cheap shot that necessitates the need for an assessment then it's only fair for that player to sit that period out as well.
Will never happen as it sometimes is not clear cut what happened.
Eg. Plugger got reported for belting Mark Zanotti in the jaw , but got off as no vision , when it was actually Paul Kelly that got him and nothing happened , so in your theory Plugger would be off for 20 minutes . CAN'T WORK

I agree with you KC, but a thorough evaluation doesn't need to be tough either, simply fair, honest and well communicated. It needs to get the buy in of everyone, which won't happen if it's seen as ruthless, a word I'd thankfully never apply to the Swans. Ruthless on field is fine, but off field, it ddoesn't sit well with the Bloods ethos. It doesn't engender respect, fidelity or devotion. A ruthless club doesn't have stars signing up for lengthy terms because they love the club and its culture. That doesn't mean we can't have an honest and thorough look at our players, staff, game plan etc, but for change to be effective it has to be embraced at all levels.

I've worked for and consulted to senior management in some very successful private companies, including some that might appear to be "ruthless organisations", ie, tech companies and investment banks. These companies are only ruthless in business, against their competitors, not with their staff, who make up the core of the business. Good CEOs win the trust of their staff. They communicate well so everyone sees the big picture and acts accordingly. They allow their staff to make decisions, with few hard and fast rules. They recruit the sort of people who thrive in such an environment of personal responsibility and freedom. Look at our No Dickheads policy. The players embrace it, understand it and steer themselves away from trouble. They know they can ask the impossible and get every effort. They will make the hard calls when needed, but they're never callous. Good organisations treat staff as whole people, complete with personal issues, family issues and all the baggage that comes with life. Caring is a huge advantage at the Swans. They look after their own, share the rewards and treat everyone with the same care and respect they'd expect, but that loyalty is paid back many times over.

We're fortunate that Horse learned under Roos. I don't want to be part of a ruthless club. Ruthlessness infects an organisation. Good clubs are well managed.

No dickheads policy is long gone

Eg. Plugger got reported for belting Mark Zanotti in the jaw , but got off as no vision , when it was actually Paul Kelly that got him and nothing happened , so in your theory Plugger would be off for 20 minutes . CAN'T WORK

Plugger, Kelly and Zanotti.... what we talking here 28 years ago?

think we can keep a better eye on things now if we wanted such a policy

It would have to be supported by evidence and could be reviewed in the background. In any case, I don't think it would happen. It's just unfair when someone does something like that that the victim and their team cop a 20min benching.

Yeah basically this. The injuries decimated us.

Also it's a welcome relief that Hickey is retiring. Maybe we can get an actual ruckman who can jump in the off-season. Probably another player to fill in the cracks. I think all we need is a proper ruckman who can knock the ball to advantage and our mids will improve tenfold.

A shame about the season. It was the season from hell. Just couldn't catch a break.
We have a proper ruckman who can hit to our advantage but he is young and still learning. I think Bug Mac will be a great ruckman. His HO to advantage are just wonderful. Just needs to learn how to pick up disposals around the ground consistently. I think we need to embrace him next season. Greg Stafford was a great tap ruck. Did a lot around the ground. Big Mac could do worse than base his game on Staffs

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That final and our season as a whole will provide enough material to highlight most of the flaws in our game plan, our execution and our personnel. The good news is most of it is fixable, the team is young and eager to learn. During the times it clicked for us this year we played unstoppable exciting footy. The West Coast game, while unrealistic in many ways, at least allowed us to see what our game style is capable of without opposition pressure. Trying to get closer to delivering the same under pressure is a work in progress.

Our injury riddled year needs to be addressed, whether that's through changes to training loads or being more cautious with players, I can't say. But it didn't help that we reached a tipping point where we couldn't afford to rest many players, we were so short of key personnel. The upside is we blooded a good number of players, pushed others into new positions and we may have unearthed a few gems. Angus Sheldrick is one such gem. Early indications are that boy is a true Blood.

A couple of big retirements has shaken some cash off the money tree, and I really do hope we secure Grundy. Rucks of his calibre do more than win hitouts. I'm also hoping we get Reid back for at least one more year. He's had a nice rest to freshen up and can fill a bunch of holes while we bring our talls up to speed. McDonald, McLean and Amartey are all showing good signs but young talls need patience. Amartey needs to get his body right to get back to the player who used to fearlessly throw himself into players. McLean needs to find consistency. McDonald needs to get used to the extra attention he'll get in a post Buddy world. All three need to gel with each other and our smaller forwards. We don't have a personnel issue, but we have a lack of experience. Buddy has long been the leader of the forward group, with Reid also bringing experience. Perhaps a more permanent move of Parker forward can bring the in-game leadership the group needs.

Life after Rampe is a challenge for our defence, especially if Fox is moved into a defensive midfield role, which I'd like to see. Reid may fit easily into Paddy Mac's role. He trained there in the 21/22 off-season and has shown he can work well down back. He could pinch hit ruck in defence as McLean could pinch hit ruck forward. His safe hands and strong contested mark would give us an outlet from defence if the ball is kicked long down the line.

Gulden will only get better with another pre-season. Mills too, though I'd perfer he tag less and attack more. Perhaps someone else can step into that role. Rowbottom, Warner and now Campbell need to do more of what they're doing well in the midfield and work for consistent form. That said, none of us know what injuries they're carrying, especially this late in the season.

Another big inside mid would really help us. I think we're pretty well stocked otherwise. Perhaps the addition of Grundy alone can fix our ruck and midfield woes.

Overall, making the finals, over-coming a lot of bad luck and the sheer grit and resilience we've shown points to a very bright future. Add in a longer pre-season, our upwards direction of travel - after a poor start and s**t-load of injuries - plus another pre-season under the belts of a young team and, barring an unforseen disaster, I would hope we can finish top 4 in 2024 and have a real shot at the premiership. In the meantime I'll be backing GWS and Brisbane as fellow northern clubs against the Melbourne heartland and the southern AFL confederacy.

On a side note, I look forward to seeing the Pies go down in a Prelim to GWS, another sydney based team and a sense of deja vu for the toothless ferals. I'll gladly watch a Lions or Demons v. GWS GF. If it's Lions v. GWS it'll add more voice to stop the nonsense of always playing the GF at the MCG, giving a huge advantage to select Victorian teams.

If the AFL are serious about head injuries I look forward to Maynard being rubbed out for the remainder of the finals, while Martin for the Blues deserves to be punished for smacking Blakey in the gob. Hopefully next year will see some sensible rules brought in to allow a sub to be activated termporarily during concussion assessment and an extra sub if a player is ruled out of the match, like Brayshaw was. I prefer this option to red-carding or a sin-bin, as it doesn't come down to umpiring decisions.
Brilliant post Rubba, agree with every point.

I agree with you KC, but a thorough evaluation doesn't need to be tough either, simply fair, honest and well communicated. It needs to get the buy in of everyone, which won't happen if it's seen as ruthless, a word I'd thankfully never apply to the Swans. Ruthless on field is fine, but off field, it ddoesn't sit well with the Bloods ethos. It doesn't engender respect, fidelity or devotion. A ruthless club doesn't have stars signing up for lengthy terms because they love the club and its culture. That doesn't mean we can't have an honest and thorough look at our players, staff, game plan etc, but for change to be effective it has to be embraced at all levels.

I've worked for and consulted to senior management in some very successful private companies, including some that might appear to be "ruthless organisations", ie, tech companies and investment banks. These companies are only ruthless in business, against their competitors, not with their staff, who make up the core of the business. Good CEOs win the trust of their staff. They communicate well so everyone sees the big picture and acts accordingly. They allow their staff to make decisions, with few hard and fast rules. They recruit the sort of people who thrive in such an environment of personal responsibility and freedom. Look at our No Dickheads policy. The players embrace it, understand it and steer themselves away from trouble. They know they can ask the impossible and get every effort. They will make the hard calls when needed, but they're never callous. Good organisations treat staff as whole people, complete with personal issues, family issues and all the baggage that comes with life. Caring is a huge advantage at the Swans. They look after their own, share the rewards and treat everyone with the same care and respect they'd expect, but that loyalty is paid back many times over.

We're fortunate that Horse learned under Roos. I don't want to be part of a ruthless club. Ruthlessness infects an organisation. Good clubs are well managed.
With you all the way Rubba. Sometimes honest feedback can be pretty tough. It needs to happen in exactly the framework you describe for it to be effective rather than destructive. But one thing I learnt in my 30 years in management is that poor performance ignored is a cancer in the organisation. It needs to be addressed in the way we have both described but it needs to be addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its weird how you dont see Blakey has already disposed of the ball in comes Martin with a swinging fist to the head.

If thats a spoil attempt its the worst one ive seen.

He has disposed of it, its late, but its footy they have split seconds to react

3 for intentional, bugger the careless.
Looked intentional to me. Lined him up, clenched fist, backswing on the punch, made him earn it. Intent. 3 weeks. Let them argue that down

Will only get 1 week thanks to the light gradings. And, hey, I'm happy with that outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back