Autopsy Good win against Tricky opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Stephens

I feel that is the mental part of the game. And being able to put your mistakes behind you. But it was good to see Gulden put his arm around him.

As frustrating as Warner has been this season. There were a few wins this season where he was having a poor game with early mistakes and not getting involved. But he kept trying things. And then last quarter he would be winning key contests and kicking important goals.

Didn't love people dragging Stephens for multiple occasions where he failed to effect contests yesterday. That play in the goal square where he went up for the spoil (and timed it horribly to be fair) might've been a mistake, as he left Suns players unmanned at ground level. It's probably emblematic of why he's struggled to get off the canvas for us, and why I'm not sure I see a player of the future in him. Footy is really just a series of decisions and getting as many right as you can. Stephens doesn't get those right often enough compared to others. But FFS there's worse things than a kid trying to prove himself showing some desperation to make an impact in the heat of the moment.
He spun a Suns player 720 in a tackle in the midfield right before this, no free, then went back to lend support. Other times he made the active choice to leave his position and intercept. There's other contested situations he impacted, one where he was wrestling a Suns player under a high ball and halved it.

But we'll just focus on the one incident.

He spun a Suns player 720 in a tackle in the midfield right before this, no free, then went back to lend support. Other times he made the active choice to leave his position and intercept. There's other contested situations he impacted, one where he was wrestling a Suns player under a high ball and halved it.

But we'll just focus on the one incident.
I didn't really like his game yesterday but I was actually defending him there. I thought some of the commentary aimed at him for that play was over the top when a simple "Stephens should've held his ground there" would've sufficed. Kinda felt like some fans enjoyed seeing him make an error like that because it validated their opinions on him or something.

I do think he has a footy smarts issue that I'm not sure is surmountable, but that's a conversation for a latter stage.

I didn't really like his game yesterday but I was actually defending him there. I thought some of the commentary aimed at him for that play was over the top when a simple "Stephens should've held his ground there" would've sufficed. Kinda felt like some fans enjoyed seeing him make an error like that because it validated their opinions on him or something.

I do think he has a footy smarts issue that I'm not sure is surmountable, but that's a conversation for a latter stage.
Yeah I get that. I thought he was solid, laid some good tackles, intercepted well (2nd to Blakey), but he'd be back to Sub if we get both Campbell and Rampe in this week.

As for changes... I think we'll play Hickey, for some reason. But I don't really see the point. Assuming we get Rampe back.

Out: Hickey, Roberts, Stephens (to sub)
In: Buller, Rampe, Campbell

If Amartey pulls up sore from that twinge, then I'd bring in Gould. If it's wet then Stephens stays.

Francis - Fogarty
Tmac - Walker
Rampe - Thilthorpe
Fox - McAdam

Apparently Horse tried a novel approach - made them listen to Nickleback every time they missed a set shot.

It worked.
Or he showed them scenes from the nightmare Geelong draw and said "LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers again
that's a pretty significant improvement
and it does have a big impact on the team when the gun forwards are converting
Absolutely. I also reckon having the Hydra in the team the last month or so has helped. They just cause such headaches for opposition defences that our medium talls in Heeney & Hayward can really move around and get off the chain.

Absolutely. I also reckon having the Hydra in the team the last month or so has helped. They just cause such headaches for opposition defences that our medium talls in Heeney & Hayward can really move around and get off the chain.

no doubt
and there's a sense the three of them are now accepting the responsibility that franklin's retirement has meant for the team
mclean has stepped up as a leader around the ground, and he has strong hands; mcdonald is making himself a lead-up marking target, and his field kicking is outstanding; amartey, while still clearly developing physique and stamina, is playing a role ... that tap back to mclean for the goal yesterday showed real awareness, as well as great skill
five legitimate mobile forward marking targets will be a nightmare for opponents

The scoring system is a little weird. You literally do get a point for missing. No need to denigrate fans of other sports because they find it a bit odd. It is.
I just think describing the incredible depth of psychological layers that is provided by the goals and points structure as merely "a point for missing" is deliberately reductive and mischievous.

I tend to think the opposite - when we nail the set shots it builds the teams confidence and gets them up and about.

Reckon EG and yourself are both right. One builds on the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back