Autopsy Blew our chances against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicks was on Saad, McInerney was on him for parts and Campbell.

Acres was playing on the wing, he was the dominant wingman for the game.

Cotterell was on the other wing, so we got smashed out wide by their runners.
Stephens might've been handy

Wicks was on Saad, McInerney was on him for parts and Campbell.

Acres was playing on the wing, he was the dominant wingman for the game.

Cotterell was on the other wing, so we got smashed out wide by their runners.
If correct, and I don't doubt that it is, that is a very big trouncing in an area we think of ourselves as strong.
Wicks is not a lock down player like Clarke so it shouldn't be a surprise that Saad would run off him.
We let Gulden run all over the place so we shouldn't expect too much from him in defence perhaps.
Campbell from his heatmap spent most of his time as an extra defender so he wasn't dedicated to a specific player.
That leaves McInerney.
I'm beginning to think it was maybe more of a structural issue than an individual one.
Someone said that we were setting up with an extra at stoppages. If that left their outside players unattended that might explain a lot.

If correct, and I don't doubt that it is, that is a very big trouncing in an area we think of ourselves as strong.
Wicks is not a lock down player like Clarke so it shouldn't be a surprise that Saad would run off him.
We let Gulden run all over the place so we shouldn't expect too much from him in defence perhaps.
Campbell from his heatmap spent most of his time as an extra defender so he wasn't dedicated to a specific player.
That leaves McInerney.
I'm beginning to think it was maybe more of a structural issue than an individual one.
Someone said that we were setting up with an extra at stoppages. If that left their outside players unattended that might explain a lot.
Definitely structural issues.

When Jmac has been assigned a wingman, eg Langdon in our games last year with Melbourne, he has done a super job in the past, I think they were maybe rolling the wings back to help in defence but I didn’t spend too much time looking at it.

Good read here, also like that the Mongrel Punt are the only media in town who will call out umpiring. Highlights the Cripps non decision for HTB and the one paid for Cripps against Lloyd.

Also the non deliberate call on Acres.

Good read here, also like that the Mongrel Punt are the only media in town who will call out umpiring. Highlights the Cripps non decision for HTB and the one paid for Cripps against Lloyd.

Also the non deliberate call on Acres.

Best $6 spend I make. Very objective in the main. Also look past the obvious.

Over Jmac most definitely.
Once again Horse making a selection mistake in a final when the obvious decision was to play someone who played in the last game over the one who hasn't played at any level for 6 weeks.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Horse went with his best 22 including those who hadn’t played at senior level for some time.

Melican hadn’t played senior football since round 18. Came in and played well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked intentional to me. Lined him up, clenched fist, backswing on the punch, made him earn it. Intent. 3 weeks. Let them argue that down

Will only get 1 week thanks to the light gradings. And, hey, I'm happy with that outcome.
That's the thing for me. As he begins swinging the arm, he closes his fist. That was the moment he stopped trying to tackle and started aiming to hurt.

I just rewatched the game - I know, I'm a masochist. Whip me - but it was our last game of 2023 and watched without the emotion I didn't think we were anywhere near as bad. We missed too many gettable goals when we had the better of general play in the first quarter. Add to that we were comprehansively outplayed in the 2nd quarter and, ultimately, that was the game. We were (almost) brilliant in our second half fightback, showing that Swans never-say-die Bloods spirit that went missing a few times during the year. Carlton were scared but more missed goals, a few brilliant individual efforts by our opponents, a bit of dodgy umpiring and JMac seemingly doing his best to kill our momentum cost us the game. It really could have gone either way and we probably should have won.

Our defenders copped a fair share of criticism but given our year, how few games together they've had to gel, they were pretty good, while some were damn impressive. A great game from Melican without a doubt, stepping up into a huge role off a break. Melican's ordinary is rather ordinary but his best is damn good. If he can find consistency in 2024 the spot is his to lose. McCartin was massive, bringing it all together in the final game of an injury riddled year, a year that cost him plenty of missed games and ultimately forced his brother to retire. Blakey was very good, again, but the team defence overall was strong.

Horse made a good selection move to bring in Melican, but a poor one to bring in JMac, especially when Stephens had been filling the role well. I've never been a big fan of JMac. He's got talent and can pop up and do the flashy stuff but I'd just like to see him do the basics well. Give me an honest tolier any day.

While on Horse, his swap of Heeney and Parker's roles in the second half was a win. Heeney brought a fresh big body into the midfield while Parker brought much needed leadership into the forward 50.

Down the pointy end, Carlton's defence, under the leadership of All Australian Weitering was a consistent thorn for our inexperienced young forwards, who were already challenged by a midfield who were playing into their defenders' hands with long bombs that were easily intercepted. McLean was solid in attack but also gave us a much needed contested marking target upfield. McDonald took limited opportunities and I didn't think Amartey played badly at all, but his opponents outwitted him. Papley had limited impact too, as did Hayward, while Wicks needed to nail his shots on goal. An off-season training without Buddy will do wonders for that group. Heeney is a puzzle I can't solve. Sometime's he's neither a forward nor a midfielder, and sometimes he's both. At least it gives Horse more arrows in his quiver to be able to move Papley, Parker and Heeney between midfield and inside 50 as the game demands.

I hoped Melbourne would overrun Carlton and wipe the smug smiles off all the media personalities and commentators who have piled on board the Blues train. Has the AFL sensed a BraveBlues fairytale they can get behind? The carefully orchestrated Great Cheat of 2016 still rankles.

I know it's no longer our fight but Go Brisbane next week

Is this the thread for this discussion?
You're right. Ticky, of course it's off topic. King, if you think some Swans players wouldn't pass the No Dickheads test you should start another thread, and back up your claims.

He was a pure.

Previously undetected recruiting error.
He was actually very highly rated but clubs baulked at some off field issues, if I remember correctly? We took him later in the draft as a gamble that we could help him and his undeniable talent would pay us back. It didn't work but we had a shot to see if he was a diamond in the rough.

It's not like we knew he'd be a dickhead before recruiting and we kicked him out, no doubt while pointing to the no dickheads sign. Anyway, off topic here.
Actually, we did know.

As did all 17 other clubs.

Which is why he was overlooked until the back end on the 2nd round, despite being widely regarded as WA’s top talent in that draft pool.

We took the risk, other clubs wouldn’t.

But it wasn’t the reason we lost to Carlton ….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back