Autopsy Swans clinch double chance 14 point winners against St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No concerns about this performance. All but one of our losses have come against teams in the 6-12 range. We play our best against top competition, and smash the teams down the bottom on talent alone (except ******* Essendon). We'll be fine come finals, I'm backing Horse to have us completely locked in. Not to mention Melbourne don't have the dominant KPFs we typically struggle against

but it's a good point ... the "grass is always greener somewhere else" syndrome ... it's the same with some posters' obsession with players from other teams, how every other player would be better than such-and-such at the swans

so many crap teams, with so much more for their fans to b1tch about ...
yet we've bounced back from nowhere in two years ... finals last year, top four this year despite losing dawson and hewett
we're almost never smashed, we're almost always in with a chance at some point in a game

we've got a fantastic young squad still getting better but too many people focus on individual moments with no context at all
tom mccartin is copping it at the moment, hickey and mcinerney too
even mcdonald ... people thinking he needs to be replaced ... !??!

i'm with the 'coot ... there is no excuse for some of the nasty, shortsighted tripe that gets posted in the gameday threads about our own club

Not quite sure why Hickey is copping the total blame for the centre square problems today. There were a number of times when neither ruck got a decisive hitout yet the St. Kilda mids quite simply outplayed ours. I thought the positioning of our mids was off tonight as when they did get possession they seemed to have to go around the mass in a circular motion rather than direct to goal. Conversely, when St.Kilda mids won the ball, they were off to the races.

Think we need Ladhams but his temperament at the coal face has me concerned.

Not sure we can play Ladhams and Hickey together itā€™s one of the other. We wonā€™t be experimenting in finals

It was one game. The issue Ladhams actually has is he doesn't tandem well with Hickey so he's not getting games unless Hick goes down. Sam Reid on the other hand, perfect #2 ruck (even if he wasn't great today)
We should be thinking about the match-up though. Who has proven he can combat and compete against Gawn and the Dees mids at their best this year? Hickey or Ladhams?

great post
that's the case with most gameday threads, and "emotion" is no excuse ... just stay off bf and watch the fckng game!
i mean, for starters, how much stuff are people missing while they're taking time to post their rubbish?! it's like people at music gigs holding up their fckng phones recording every friggin moment
enjoy the gig! watch the game!! take time to think about ... then post your comments
some of the stuff is beyond cringeworthy

or you know dont read it ...
the whinging about it is dumber than anything in it

Sorta feel for the medisub like Wicks in these situations, still a high pressure game with everything to play for and an opponent with nothing to lose and trying to finish a season on a high note after poor performances after the bye. First time a medisub was activated in a long time. Deer in the headlights stuff, wouldnt blame Wicks for what hit him today.
Wicks did some good things.
Great long handball in tbe last & a few other nice possies. Needed to kick that goal.

or you know dont read it ...
the whinging about it is dumber than anything in it
This.

I've avoided the gameday threads all year because I just don't wanna surround myself with crazy s**t during a game.

Today I was stressed the **** out and just needed some crazy s**t to skim through.

It's not hard to steer clear of it if it's not your thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

I've avoided the gameday threads all year because I just don't wanna surround myself with crazy s**t during a game.

Today I was stressed the **** out and just needed some crazy s**t to skim through.

It's not hard to steer clear of it if it's not your thing.

Im curious to read it tho cant imagine the posts when the Saints got within a kick

What a feeling.

Like everyone, there was that fleeting disappointment in the fact we missed out on second spot but Brisbaneā€™s capitulation really made life hard.

All said and done we finish third and weā€™re a huge chance here. We know that we bring our best against the best and Melbourne are still the best.

Rowbottom - Some people were very, very wrong. His last month or so has been elite and last night he lead the way again. Heā€™s the epitome of Sydney and our barometer as well.

Warner - Tagged hard every week but thatā€™s a great thing for his development. Heā€™s yet to play his 40th game and heā€™s already terrifying opposition teams.

Stephens - Hear me out, but heā€™s got Rolls Royce quality. The thing that canā€™t be trained but you see it in Mills and players like Hird and Burgoyne. I donā€™t necessarily think heā€™ll reach those heights but he oozes natural ability. Heā€™ll go as far as he wants to.

Hayward - Remarkably, he may still be underrated. He never seems to get much attention and thereā€™s no fanfare around him, yet heā€™s been going at a goal a game for the best part of two seasons. Heā€™s the perfect complimentary player for Logan, Heeney and Papley because they all play very different roles but when it gels itā€™s magnificent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Think it's worth remembering that if Max King kicks straight last week, Saints are equal with Carlton & Bulldogs. So it was probably naive to think we'd have it easy against a team good enough to be in the eight this year.

Watch Longmire presser the very first 30secs dont you ******* dare make us play on Thursday AFL is what he is saying.

:grimacing:
We were never playing Friday night after a Sunday twilight game, and Horse knew it!

If we'd finished 2nd, the home final would have still been a Friday night or Saturday game.

Finishing top 4 gives us precedence in the finals, no need for lobbying...

I was at a show and couldnā€™t resist reading the posts here during the game. When I watched it last night I expected a disaster. I didnā€™t find one.

I donā€™t think we were at our best but St Kilda were pretty manic.

Good to win when weā€™re playing ordinary footy.
Good to play another high pressure game.
Bank top 4 and put it behind us.

Will be up for the demons I reckon. And I actually like that itā€™s Friday night at the MCG. We like playing there.

Ours is definitely the standout game in a pretty average first week of finals.

Sorta feel for the medisub like Wicks in these situations, still a high pressure game with everything to play for and an opponent with nothing to lose and trying to finish a season on a high note after poor performances after the bye. First time a medisub was activated in a long time. Deer in the headlights stuff, wouldnt blame Wicks for what hit him today.
He'll learn from it, just like all the others... each and every game's a new experience for practically all of them!

He didn't give up, he kept going... be glad it was pre-finals

Horse & Co are doing a wonderful job with these guys!

Think itā€™s pretty obvious from the last bunch of games that we will go in unchanged barring an unknown niggle. Why would we mess with a winning formula. That was done over that time to get the right balance and they seem a lock now.

Also we are the only team that stopped a Collingwood comeback and as a result made top four. Very proud of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back