Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko and Vodd are encouraging us to be patient and to celebrate the small wins and this social post and stat is all about that. I appreciate that some people are in such a dreadful state of depression over the team and the world in general that any efforts to be positive are as triggering as a dagger to the heart. I'm grateful that I'm not afflicted in that way.
Rubbish. There are no small wins. We are considerably shitter this season than last season at a time we should be getting better.

Rubbish. There are no small wins. We are considerably shitter this season than last season at a time we should be getting better.
You don't consider, for example, that George Wardlaw and Colby McKercher receiving rising star nominations are small wins? And if that's the case, do you believe it's wrong for the club's social media accounts to post about those nominations?

well that we will never know.

harley reid entering north melbourne could’ve ended up being a disaster like JHF but he would have had good senior company like LDU, simpkin & greenwood to protect soo he isn’t first banana.

that would of been fine with me since we got fisher and stephens with our priority picks we had to trade out.

we got mckercher and duursma, only time will tell now on what the best decision was that fateful day on the 26th of August 2023. it wouldn’t have been just on his shoulders, could of had some good mates to lend the load in my favourite duo of harry and george.
The thing is, it’s not one decision, it’s a long series of decisions throughout the game. We start coming back as Gold Coast slack off a bit, coaches have to keep deciding who to move or rest to stop our run. Or players are told to decide every time there’s a loose ball not to try to get to it, or Larkey has to not kick straight (like no-one would notice), or defenders have to not try to make contact with the ball but to allow easy marks. They are all in this business because they are competitive animals. At the moment it’s often about all we have left. I don’t see how you can mess with that for hours on game day to engineer a result and it not leave scars. Evidence of past tanks suggests you can’t. On the other hand, teams and clubs who have refused to tank when they’ve been expected to - Eagles last year, Port a few years ago - seem to recover ok.

You don't consider, for example, that George Wardlaw and Colby McKercher receiving rising star nominations are small wins? And if that's the case, do you believe it's wrong for the club's social media accounts to post about those nominations?
It’s the rhetoric from the coaches that is my problem. We are getting undeniably worse. Less competitive against every opposition we play.

On the weekend we were further away from Essendon than when we played them last season. We had 40 inside 50 entries for the match, they had 68.

It’s the same crap from the coach every week despite the facts which point to us being bad to unprecedented levels.

It’s the rhetoric from the coaches that is my problem. We are getting undeniably worse. Less competitive against every opposition we play.

On the weekend we were further away from Essendon than when we played them last season. We had 40 inside 50 entries for the match, they had 68.

It’s the same crap from the coach every week despite the facts which point to us being bad to unprecedented levels.
I understand where you're coming from but if you consider for a moment that the coaches are banging on with the same crap every week because their position remains the same. Whether we win or lose this week doesn't really change their planning and expectations of how long it's going to take for us to be a real threat.

I understand where you're coming from but if you consider for a moment that the coaches are banging on with the same crap every week because their position remains the same. Whether we win or lose this week doesn't really change their planning and expectations of how long it's going to take for us to be a real threat.
I’m not a sack Clarkson guy (yet) as sacking another coach serves no purpose. He needs more time.

But I would say
1) the comparison to us under Ratten is relevant
2) like our senior players he isn’t at the top of his game either. Took him to long to address the structural issues defensively (last three games have been much better) and needs to make more of an example of senior players and weak efforts. Forward structure has been a mess all season as well. Personnel and delivery play a part but structure can make both look better.

Like most I want to see more passion and angst from him.

Last year we had Goldy, BMac, JZ, Ben C, A Hall, K Turner, plus depth including Perez, Young, Mahoney.

And you are wondering why we havent improved?

LOL

Tarryn Thomas charged over ‘harassing phone calls’ to ex​

Brooke Greber-Craig
May 21, 2024 - 1:50PM

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged for allegedly harassing a former partner.

The Herald Sun revealed on May 10 that police were investigating Thomas after he allegedly called an estranged girlfriend, multiple times during the day and night.

It’s believed the alleged calls were made after Thomas was cut by the Kangaroos and handed an 18-match suspension by the AFL after conduct breaches, including allegedly threatening the same woman on social media.

The shocking messages were revealed by The Herald Sun in February.

“And for them girls I abuse I would do again,” Thomas wrote to the woman.

“After what they did to me if you do me wrong I will let you have it.”

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police executed a search warrant at an Ormond property on Tuesday.

“Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls,” she said.

“Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11.15am.
“The man was arrested and charged with use telecommunications service to harass and breaching a court order.”

Thomas was bailed to the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on November 21.

Brooke Greber-Craig

Disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas has been charged for allegedly harassing a former partner.

The Herald Sun revealed on May 10 that police were investigating Thomas after he allegedly called an estranged girlfriend, multiple times during the day and night.

It’s believed the alleged calls were made after Thomas was cut by the Kangaroos and handed an 18-match suspension by the AFL after conduct breaches, including allegedly threatening the same woman on social media.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police executed a search warrant at an Ormond property on Tuesday.

“Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls,” she said.

“Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11.15am.
“The man was arrested and charged with use telecommunications service to harass and breaching a court order.”

But Brad and Chris know his qualities as a person. Didn't change after education courses. Didnt change after being stood down. Didnt change after being suspended.

Now doubles down after losing his career. But just has to be given a chance.

Tarryn has a massive blindspot. Himself.

WCE bottoming out for only their second ever spoon, just in time to get Reid is truely something.

If you drew the dip on a line graph it would make you sick.
WC were seriously hit by Covid-19 and injury at the same time. They were at a stage where they could barely field a team. That caused an, understandable, dramatic dip. The upside for them was that they managed to snare Harley out of that particular debacle. Once McGovern, Yeo, etc.. were back on board, they stabilised. We just delisted all our stability.

Brooke Greber-Craig

So I imagine the goal posts will shift again for the "he hasn't been charged" crew to "he hasn't been found guilty".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC were seriously hit by Covid-19 and injury at the same time. They were at a stage where they could barely field a team. That caused an, understandable, dramatic dip. The upside for them was that they managed to snare Harley out of that particular debacle. Once McGovern, Yeo, etc.. were back on board, they stabilised. We just delisted all our stability.
All the more serendipitous

Covid hit them early 2022. I'll give them some substantial injuries to key players last year but they were bad just because they were bad.

Brooke Greber-Craig

A Broadmeadows magistrate might be about to be visited by a random group of Bellarine fruiterers or maybe cop a few Stephen Dank style bullets through the window to make them feel particularly forgiving come Tarryn's day in court.

Covid hit them early 2022. I'll give them some substantial injuries to key players last year but they were bad just because they were bad.
Port might say they exist to win premierships but it feels like WC encapsulate that quality best in the modern era - they're in it or they're building towards it. Not too many half measures.

Last year we had Goldy, BMac, JZ, Ben C, A Hall, K Turner, plus depth including Perez, Young, Mahoney.

And you are wondering why we havent improved?

LOL
Horrendous examples. You had to really reach, so you just listed every player who still isn’t playing with us.

Goldy yep sure but people here argue strongly that Xerri is better.
McKay was crap and had his worst year for the club.
JZ was clearly finished.
Cunnington missed quite a few games and was dropped a few times.
Hall lol. An uncontested machine who was soft with questionable skills. Also got dropped.
Turner? Hahahahahahahaha. Terrible all season. Missed a lot of games due to being dropper for being shit.

I’m not even going to glorify your other three examples with a response. 😂😂

2/10 for argumentative skills
8/10 for stupidity

but trying to win and failing 20 times in a row isn’t cancerous? we didn’t have to lose on purpose, we just had to be good old reliable north melbourne for one more game and it would have changed our fortunes.

There's a word for intentionally losing a game: tanking.

It's explicitly not allowed, and that's where the discussion ends for me.

well that we will never know.

harley reid entering north melbourne could’ve ended up being a disaster like JHF but he would have had good senior company like LDU, simpkin & greenwood to protect soo he isn’t first banana.

that would of been fine with me since we got fisher and stephens with our priority picks we had to trade out.

we got mckercher and duursma, only time will tell now on what the best decision was that fateful day on the 26th of August 2023. it wouldn’t have been just on his shoulders, could of had some good mates to lend the load in my favourite duo of harry and george.
I’m looking at Reid as a long term prospect, we need to make known to his manager we’re willing to put the house down on a massive contract as soon as he’s eligible to go to another club however long it takes

The thing is, it’s not one decision, it’s a long series of decisions throughout the game. We start coming back as Gold Coast slack off a bit, coaches have to keep deciding who to move or rest to stop our run. Or players are told to decide every time there’s a loose ball not to try to get to it, or Larkey has to not kick straight (like no-one would notice), or defenders have to not try to make contact with the ball but to allow easy marks. They are all in this business because they are competitive animals. At the moment it’s often about all we have left. I don’t see how you can mess with that for hours on game day to engineer a result and it not leave scars. Evidence of past tanks suggests you can’t. On the other hand, teams and clubs who have refused to tank when they’ve been expected to - Eagles last year, Port a few years ago - seem to recover ok.

We no longer have a pre-season competition because Paul Roos was overheard on the sidelines directing a defender who was sent to the forward line to not kick any goals. Roos famously disrespected the preseason competition and didn't want his team to advance so that he could focus on round 1. With the increased media attention, additional cameras and every aspect of football dissected, any attempt to manage the outcome of our game versus Gold Coast would have been spotted for sure. And the punishment would have been losing the Harley Reid pick along with the Ben McKay compensation pick, all of the priority picks and possibly our first round pick this year as well.

Not gonna lie, I’m going to get excited about the No 1 pick if that’s where we end up. Why wouldn’t we? It’s all about optimism so why look in the rear vision mirror beating yourselves up because we were crap in order to gain access to the best talent. All part of the regeneration. Get around it!
Got bad news to you.
Theres a chance that the best rated kid in the draft won't be available to us again.

Brooke Greber-Craig

Absolute ****ing **** head.

I dunno I thought we showed signs of improvement, sure skills still terrible need to be fitter but intent effort and structures all improved IMO

Horrendous examples. You had to really reach, so you just listed every player who still isn’t playing with us.

Goldy yep sure but people here argue strongly that Xerri is better.
McKay was crap and had his worst year for the club.
JZ was clearly finished.
Cunnington missed quite a few games and was dropped a few times.
Hall lol. An uncontested machine who was soft with questionable skills. Also got dropped.
Turner? Hahahahahahahaha. Terrible all season. Missed a lot of games due to being dropper for being s**t.

I’m not even going to glorify your other three examples with a response. 😂😂

2/10 for argumentative skills
8/10 for stupidity

I am going to give 1/10, for your lack of football knowledge. LOL

see my answers below....

Goldy - fantastic back up depth for X when needed. Could even give X a rest, when X is sore. Problem was, Goldy wasnt prepared to play second fiddle to X in 2024.
McKay - your taking the p1ss, if you dont think Chom and BMac would hold up our defence better than Chom and Biggie/Pink. Surely? LOL
JZ - provided leadership, especially in the back half (where LMac has struggled to do on his own)
Cunnington - was still a hard body in the midfield we desperately need, to help our young midfielders. Could have played the sub role. We are now looking for Parker and Wines, to be that sort of player...
Hall - dominated playing VFL footy. And was depth.
Turner - one thing he brought was forward pressure. We have played games this year with zero tackles in our forward 50.

I am not arguing we should have retained any of the players above.

I am answering your question why we are struggling this year. You dont replace the names listed above in 9 rounds of football. Its going to take 1 to 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back