Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Not gonna lie, Hodge used to s**t me as a player, mostly because he was everything we lacked on field and he got the good bloke treatment from the media, but he's been very good on talking about our circumstance as a talking head. One of a few.

The AFL can't fold a club - they only have the ability to take licences away.

Given that we've managed to turn profits while other Vic clubs actually managed to consume more AFL distribution over the last 15 years, the AFL has no real grounds to do so. Even so, AFL distribution isn't charity from the AFL; clubs earn the AFL that money from our games that they sell to broadcasters.
They AFL can still put it to a vote by all clubs can’t they?

I'm 100% being extremely harsh and possibly getting too personal.

But the critical situation with the footy team starts at the top and I get that perhaps they are still trying, but they are still trying because they have to not because it's ingrained in their blood. The team needs a leadership core that is unwiltering in it's desire. Mate, we are kidding ourselves if they are actively trying to improve their game and perhaps enforce standards. It's not happening and this has been the case for a while now.

Give the keys over to Sheezel and whatever but this isn't going to change much. The issue stems from the fact we don't have a leadership group that can fall back on something to steady the ship. It's not healthy. We have no other avenues to stop this rot.

So it is what it is but I don't see how this turns around. Our senior players have fallen into a trap where they are actively looking for ways to feel sorry for themselves. This isn't just footy anymore, it's mental health sorta stuff now.
I reckon they care, possibly too much, and that it has led to some form of imposter syndrome. They know they're not good enough and can't get themselves to the required level to lead by their actions.

They're gun shy about talking the talk because they know they can't walk the walk.

If you've ever had a boss who can't actually do anything required of the job but talk sh*te, you soon lose any respect for them or motivation to go above and beyond in your role.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

-----------------

3:43 Duck on North and responds to Eddie's comments

Pagan wants Sheezel to be captain

Wayne having a hard time keeping the kid supporting North

That was a good listen, Carey spoke a lot of sense. In recent years I thought he was a first class knob, but you can hear the passion for North is still there. As a Dad he is concerned for his kids as North supporters, as a dad myself I get that. Our junior supporters are so important and there is a real danger we will start losing them to the bigger more successful clubs. Made some great points about our youngsters especially about Dennis' call for Sheezel to be captain. He reckons we don't have the effort and desire on the park and it's hard to argue with him given what we've dished up this year. Wonders if Clarkson has gone too softly, perhaps as a result of what he has gone through. Would have been nice if he had offered to go down and help out in some capacity.

FWIW the playing group need to go somewhere for 5-6 days over the bye round no phones no coaches with some serious arse team builders (maybe ex army) and fing find out who they are as a team and who their real leaders are and who doesn’t want to be part of the journey, tell the coaches when they get back who the new captain and leadership group is and which of the current players will be seeing out the season in the VFL. Take control and drive their own destiny FFS there has to be a breaking point where someone stands up and challenges their teammates…..

Fat Ed trying to stay relevant - it’s embarrassing.

* off campaigner
Just Jabba The Hutch getting one of his big names in his stable to generate some clicks to finish off the NFY with a bang.

Nothing to see here.

FWIW the playing group need to go somewhere for 5-6 days over the bye round no phones no coaches with some serious arse team builders (maybe ex army) and fing find out who they are as a team and who their real leaders are and who doesn’t want to be part of the journey, tell the coaches when they get back who the new captain and leadership group is and which of the current players will be seeing out the season in the VFL. Take control and drive their own destiny FFS there has to be a breaking point where someone stands up and challenges their teammates…..

Bowling and 🍺

Nothing more is needed

They AFL can still put it to a vote by all clubs can’t they?

I don't think it quite works like that, but happy to be corrected. The way it works is that the AFL could make the decision to remove our licence, but a vote of 2/3rds of clubs could overturn it.

That's without the legal challenges that would come from North. Basically, don't worry about it - it's not happening unless we find ourselves in a financial black hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it quite works like that, but happy to be corrected. The way it works is that the AFL could make the decision to remove our licence, but a vote of 2/3rds of clubs could overturn it.

That's without the legal challenges that would come from North. Basically, don't worry about it - it's not happening unless we find ourselves in a financial black hole.
Be a brave smaller club that didn't vote in favour of a fellow team without seeing their own writing on the wall someday.

Be a brave smaller club that didn't vote in favour of a fellow team without seeing their own writing on the wall someday.

Saints fans calling for us to fold amuse me. They'd become the next target (for relocation at the very least) almost instantly in our absence, especially with blood in the water.

Saints fans calling for us to fold amuse me. They'd become the next target (for relocation at the very least) almost instantly in our absence, especially with blood in the water.
Saints fans are the strangest breed. Never has a club in professional sport been that ******* s**t for their entire existence, yet their fans are chirpy af.

sir may GIF

Saints fans are the strangest breed. Never has a club in professional sport been that ******* s**t for their entire existence, yet their fans are chirpy af.
They should be careful what they wish for. There'll be a void for a fixturing doormat that needs to be filled. They're the most obvious candidate.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Bit disappointed we haven't had a message from club leadership this week. It's still early so maybe it'll come, but fan sentiment is at an all-time low, and the media wagons are circling with stories about our existence being under threat.

Bit disappointed we haven't had a message from club leadership this week. It's still early so maybe it'll come, but fan sentiment is at an all-time low, and the media wagons are circling with stories about our existence being under threat.

I don't want to hear from any of them, words mean nothing.

I just want to see 100% effort against the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back