Remove this Banner Ad

Compensation Picks

  • Thread starter Thread starter T Rick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Posts
4,993
Reaction score
7,330
Location
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's going to be a massive sting if we lose Rischa. What sort of compensation will we get if he does indeed go to the GC?
 
Re: Michael Rischitelli

It's going to be a massive sting if we lose Rischa. What sort of compensation will we get if he does indeed go to the GC?

It's hard to say because the AFL haven't made the full formula public, and even if it had there's a "special case" clause where they can have a commitee review it. I'd be guessing an end-of-first-round given his successful year in 2010 probably pushing him up in the B&F, but it could equally be a second-round.
 
Re: Michael Rischitelli

If someone had offered pick 16 for Riska last year, would we have taken it? I suspect so. In fact, we'd have thought seriously about any offer of a pick under 30, IMO.

If we get that sort of pick, even if it isn't available for use until 2012, then it is better than nothing, I guess.
 
Re: Michael Rischitelli

Compensation picks are a tough one, this is the deal apparently:

"Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years. First round compensation picks cannot be used until the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season in that particular year."

So we might be able to use it next year?

The more important a player is (I think this is judged by B&F position and age) the more we'll get so I think Rischi would be worth a fair bit.

I know everyone is saying Brennan and Rischi will leave but I prefer to actually see hard evidence before I worry about it; that being said it wouldn't come as a surprise.
 

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

Re: Michael Rischitelli

Compensation picks are a tough one, this is the deal apparently:

"Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years. First round compensation picks cannot be used until the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season in that particular year."

So we might be able to use it next year?

The more important a player is (I think this is judged by B&F position and age) the more we'll get so I think Rischi would be worth a fair bit.

I know everyone is saying Brennan and Rischi will leave but I prefer to actually see hard evidence before I worry about it; that being said it wouldn't come as a surprise.

We can use it this year. http://www.afl.com.au/Development/N...LDraft/DraftKeyDates/tabid/16414/Default.aspx has Friday 5 November as this year's "Nomination of use of compensatory selection by clubs that lose an uncontracted player to Gold Coast FC". Following years will require nomination at the start of the year. Whether we would or not is a separate question.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if both stay. I'd be more surprised if both left to the GC.
 
So this year we may lose 1 player officially to the GC, i get that.. next is it the same for GWS? stands to reason that it would, but what a mess we have to go through all the speculation again.

GWS is worse from an established club's POV. It has two years (2011 and 2012) to sign uncontracted players because its zone is weaker than the GC's.

Team GWS will have access to 16 uncontracted players, from AFL clubs, across a two-year period. If it can’t sign 16 players in 2011, it can continue signing players in 2012.
The western Sydney-based club also has the option to sign 10 previously-listed and nominated players in 2010 and 2011.

- http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86208
 
GWS is worse from an established club's POV. It has two years (2011 and 2012) to sign uncontracted players because its zone is weaker than the GC's.



- http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86208
You do understand what those two years mean dont you? All that means is they get the same amount as gold coast but over 2 years so its not a chance at 32 players in 2 years it means say they sing 8 then the following year they can only sing 8 more to make the total of the gold coast 16.
 
You do understand what those two years mean dont you? All that means is they get the same amount as gold coast but over 2 years so its not a chance at 32 players in 2 years it means say they sing 8 then the following year they can only sing 8 more to make the total of the gold coast 16.

Yes, which was why I didn't make any indication that GWS got 32 players. Antman was asking about having to go through all the speculation over who is leaving. That lasts for two years, as per my post. Any clubs that lose players in the first year won't have to worry about the second year, but all others could potentially still lose an uncontracted player.
 
Yes, which was why I didn't make any indication that GWS got 32 players. Antman was asking about having to go through all the speculation over who is leaving. That lasts for two years, as per my post. Any clubs that lose players in the first year won't have to worry about the second year, but all others could potentially still lose an uncontracted player.
being his younger than Ablett i belive his worth a first round pick but i belive they will take him in the pre-season draft being that i belive that brennan is already signed
 
there has been speculation that the Lions could lose two uncontracted players

regardless of whether you think it is true or not that both Rischa and Brennan are keen to go to GC, can someone explain to me how they could both end up with GC?

isn't there a limit of GC poaching only 1 uncontracted player per club?

please explain :confused:
 
The theory is that GC could take a second in the ND or PSD. I think GC will stay within the spirit of the rules and not take advantage of this potential loophole though.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks dlanod but I'm still not sure I understand, I mean every uncontracted player could nominate for the PSD

if it is feasible that GC could take more than 1 uncontracted player from a club then it seems more than a loophole, it makes a mockery of the spirit of the assurance that clubs could only lose 1 player each

so are we sure or is it a grey area?

if we are sure then how many picks do GC get in the PSD? i.e. how many clubs could have more than 1 player taken?

thanks in advance...
 
Beatnik- there has been talk of GC being willing to trade picks, which I presume is a different scenario to Compensation picks. If a second Lion is keen to go for $$ and threatens being picked up in the PSD if a trade is not made we could be under duress.

Mind you, this is me just theorising and answers your question not at all. You'd like to think though that as dlanod suggested they'd stay within the spirit of the rules.
 
At the end of 2010 season, the Gold Coast has been given the following concessions:
The ability to sign one uncontracted player from each of the 16 AFL clubs.
Zoned access to five Queensland players prior to the AFL draft.
The first pick in every round plus additional first round picks 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 15 of the 2010 AFL Draft.
The first 10 selections in the Pre-Season Draft.
The first 5 selections of the Rookie Draft.
An expanded main list of 48 players (clubs are usually allowed 38).
 
being his younger than Ablett i belive his worth a first round pick but i belive they will take him in the pre-season draft being that i belive that brennan is already signed

I'm pretty sure the formula used includes more than just age. I don't think Ablett's Brownlow, club best & fairest awards, players association medals, coaches association medals and his All-Australian namings are ignored because he's a couple of years older than another player. Basically, if Ablett goes to GC, then Geelong will be getting the best compensation pick available.
 
At the end of 2010 season, the Gold Coast has been given the following concessions:
The ability to sign one uncontracted player from each of the 16 AFL clubs.
Zoned access to five Queensland players prior to the AFL draft.
The first pick in every round plus additional first round picks 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 15 of the 2010 AFL Draft.
The first 10 selections in the Pre-Season Draft.
The first 5 selections of the Rookie Draft.
An expanded main list of 48 players (clubs are usually allowed 38).

Where does it say they get the first 10 selections in the PSD?

Gold Coast draft rules



6. 2010 Post-season, AFL listed player access

Gold Coast to have capacity to pre-list 10 players who had previously nominated for the AFL Draft, or were previously listed with an AFL club.

Gold Coast to have capacity to sign up to 16 uncontracted players
 

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

That was my original thought on the subject. Actually ripped off the quote from a dodgy website. I guess 'post season' 2010 could mean before the Preseason draft or after it. It doesn't really clarify that important point.
 
Yeah, the 10 "previously nominated or listed players" is another grey area. The most common interpretation is that it means anyone delisted or nominated prior to 2010 (i.e. prelisting Jason Roe and Myles Sewell), because otherwise it doesn't make sense with the uncontracted players clause. But without confirmation from the AFL it could mean anything.
 
I'm pretty sure the AFL haven't mentioned the GC actually being involved in the PSD ...if one does the maths on the information given on their concessions...

The GC can only have 48 senior players on their list 2011

Last years National Draft they had the capacity to sign 12 players
(They wont be delisting them)

This years National Draft they have the capacity to sign 12 +...8 picks round 1 and the 1st pick each round after ..for the sake of keeping it simple.. say they take 13 .......that's 25 over half their list

They have access to 5 zoned Queensland players..that's 30


Post season they can sign up to 16 uncontracted players.. they said publicly 8 ..that's 38..

and up to 10 previous listed players
(Nathan Ablett, Mitch Thorp etc...).

that's 48......

Cant see how they'll be participating in the PSD..
 
Well for starters one of their 12 signed players went off to play cricket, and theoretically there's the possibility for them to pass on one of their ND picks in order to have a pick in the PSD. Basically the same as any other club.

However the more I think about it, the more likely it is that they have to use all their picks in the ND because there was nothing in their concessions stating where they would participate in the PSD (i.e. first pick, etc), unlike the rest of the concessions.
 
I'm not sure if this is right or not but I get the feeling that their ability to sign uncontracted players is effectively like having the first 16 picks in the PSD. After all, PSD is the way that uncontracted players are generally signed. It would then be stupid for them to have pick 1 in the PSD.

Of course, that doesn't discount the possibility of them taking an uncontracted player in the ND, I guess. Having said that, the rule allowing them only 1 uncontracted player from each club is surely in place to ensure that no club suffers any more from the entry of the Suns. It would be ludicrous if the GC could effectively take 5 or 6 players from the one club, via the ND.
 
I'm pretty sure the AFL haven't mentioned the GC actually being involved in the PSD ...if one does the maths on the information given on their concessions...

The GC can only have 48 senior players on their list 2011

Last years National Draft they had the capacity to sign 12 players
(They wont be delisting them)

This years National Draft they have the capacity to sign 12 +...8 picks round 1 and the 1st pick each round after ..for the sake of keeping it simple.. say they take 13 .......that's 25 over half their list

They have access to 5 zoned Queensland players..that's 30


Post season they can sign up to 16 uncontracted players.. they said publicly 8 ..that's 38..

and up to 10 previous listed players
(Nathan Ablett, Mitch Thorp etc...).

that's 48......

Cant see how they'll be participating in the PSD..

I have no idea now. It doesn't say that they have to take 5 Queensland players etc so depending on the finer points of the rule they may have space but it doesn't say that they can participate in the PSD and secure more than 1 uncontracted player from a club.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top Bottom