List Mgmt. CONFIRMED - Gary Rohan a Cat for pick 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a stinker friday night but was he really that bad overall? You take 30 goals a season from your 3rd forward every day of the week.
How many goals did he kick this year in games that we lost? I got a funny feeling he would be averaging less then 1

Rohan is a symptom of our finals performances, not really the root cause. Sure his efforts have been lamentable, but if you put him in the Melbourne or Bulldogs forward line this weekend and he kicks 3 goals.

I am very happy for Rohan to be moved out of the side and his spot is one I would take for a young player.

But I find the pile on for Rohan for his games in our losses ridiculous. I can barely remember the ball being presented to any key forward on the lead once in either game.

The big issue is around the midfield and any run and creativity from back half. Rohan is a finisher, handy in a good side, which we are clearly not at the moment.

I don’t care if they offer him a contract or not tbh. Gary Rohan is not determining our fate, one way or the other.

But I find the pile on for Rohan for his games in our losses ridiculous. I can barely remember the ball being presented to any key forward on the lead once in either game.

My issue is that he doesn't lead.

Behind the goals camera multiple times with the ball coming in on Friday night, Rohan is standing next to his man, an injured Steven May at times, and not leading, not demanding the football, but waiting back so he can fly for a pack mark.

Often all 3 of Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan doing the same thing. Standing still. Who is the forward coach instructing them to do this? We don't need 2 key forwards and then a faux one as well, we need some bloody movement.

My issue is that he doesn't lead.

Behind the goals camera multiple times with the ball coming in on Friday night, Rohan is standing next to his man, an injured Steven May at times, and not leading, not demanding the football, but waiting back so he can fly for a pack mark.

Often all 3 of Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan doing the same thing. Standing still. Who is the forward coach instructing them to do this? We don't need 2 key forwards and then a faux one as well, we need some bloody movement.
Is it any surprise, when our forwards coach played as a defender his whole career. What does a defender know about forward craft ffs?

I'll admit I'm a fan of him but perhaps I'd consider trying him at the centre bounces / in the midfield. He's quick, is great kick of the footy and should get more of the ball. I would have been happy to see Selwood retire now (love the guy really but it's time) but since he wants to go around next year, move him into the forward line so that can try and play out the year, and give the captaincy to someone else (someone suggested Stewart - reckon that's a great idea). If doesn't quite work out swap them back. They'll both be around next year anyway and we've got to try something new.

How many goals did he kick this year in games that we lost? I got a funny feeling he would be averaging less then 1
This was his goals in our losses:

Adelaide - 1
Sydney - 2
Brisbane - 1
GWS - 0
Melbourne (round 23) - 2
Port (QF) - 0, though he did spend about 2/3rds of the match in defence
Melbourne (PF) - 0

So 6 goals in 7 losses

But I think it's also as chicken & egg thing in regards to his impact/goal scoring in our losses
- is he not having the same impact in losses because the ball isn't getting forward as much or cleanly & thus limited goal scoring opportunities
- or is it that the forwards aren't working as well as a unit when things aren't so easy and that impacts the opportunities available to them

I'll admit I'm a fan of him but perhaps I'd consider trying him at the centre bounces / in the midfield. He's quick, is great kick of the footy and should get more of the ball. I would have been happy to see Selwood retire now

I have a better idea, if this club is fair dinkum, and wants to actually do something more than 1-2 in finals every year, drop these mentally fragile players and be done with it.

Rohan replacing Selwood in midfield would be the worst thing we can do. You can count on our contested possessions dropping right away.

This was his goals in our losses:

Adelaide - 1
Sydney - 2
Brisbane - 1
GWS - 0
Melbourne (round 23) - 2
Port (QF) - 0, though he did spend about 2/3rds of the match in defence
Melbourne (PF) - 0

So 6 goals in 7 losses

But I think it's also as chicken & egg thing in regards to his impact/goal scoring in our losses
- is he not having the same impact in losses because the ball isn't getting forward as much or cleanly & thus limited goal scoring opportunities
- or is it that the forwards aren't working as well as a unit when things aren't so easy and that impacts the opportunities available to them

And the Giants game he was injured early.

If we want to play this game, then where was Hawkins and where was Cameron in our two finals losses? We kicked 5 and 6 goals respectively. To think so much criticism gets put on the third forward when we lose is strange. Yes, his finals record is poor, but why does he get singled out when he has so many mates?

Our issues as it always seems to be when we lose, is the midfield, and the more you look at it, we are in all sorts of trouble in that area for the near future.

I have a better idea, if this club is fair dinkum, and wants to actually do something more than 1-2 in finals every year, drop these mentally fragile players and be done with it.

Rohan replacing Selwood in midfield would be the worst thing we can do. You can count on our contested possessions dropping right away.

I'd be happy to get rid of both them, and I'd add a heap other players to that list as well, but that isn't happening next year from the sounds of it. Rohan's limited impact on Friday not was not completely his fault, the ball was hardly down his way. I'm not suggesting they swap positions all season, just that we try something different with him during the off season and see how it goes from there. If it's not Selwood then someone else. If it doesn't work, then he goes forward again. I don't want the club trying the same s**t and expecting a better result with our current setup and game plan, because all we know how that's going to turn out with these guys being 1 year older next year. He'll be here next year whether anyone likes it or not, so we can either leave him forward or we can try him somewhere else to see if we can get more out of him, but we've got to try something different here.

The thing is every team have players like Rohan. He isn't the guy you rely on to get your team up and running. That's for your core 8 players to do. He's a finisher of the hard work put in up the ground. We need to rebuild our core with guys that aren't mentally fragile first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan is a symptom of our finals performances, not really the root cause. Sure his efforts have been lamentable, but if you put him in the Melbourne or Bulldogs forward line this weekend and he kicks 3 goals.

I am very happy for Rohan to be moved out of the side and his spot is one I would take for a young player.

The big issue is around the midfield and any run and creativity from back half. Rohan is a finisher, handy in a good side, which we are clearly not at the moment.

I don’t care if they offer him a contract or not tbh. Gary Rohan is not determining our fate, one way or the other.

At some stage ..players who have failed so often to be able to determine games with their own talent fail. Especially forwards are just so reliant on upfield.... but Rohan takes that to anotehr level. Its when finals come he goes into witness protection , its like the party ghost that not only leaves..but never arrives.

It's time to find a way to get games into younger players and... players that are his age and can still be so unreliable when in our biggest games are not an asset they are drains.

Still send him on his way, you need players who are consistent and you know what you will get out of them, that's why we have a great run from 2007-2011 we knew what was brought to the table.

And the Giants game he was injured early.

If we want to play this game, then where was Hawkins and where was Cameron in our two finals losses? We kicked 5 and 6 goals respectively. To think so much criticism gets put on the third forward when we lose is strange. Yes, his finals record is poor, but why does he get singled out when he has so many mates?

Our issues as it always seems to be when we lose, is the midfield, and the more you look at it, we are in all sorts of trouble in that area for the near future.

Hawkins was the best of the three, Cameron was very poor, Rohan was abysmal. In both losses.

I'm not surprised, but genuinely wonder if anyone but Geelong fans would actually defend a serial finals failure for getting ONE POSSESSION in a final.

Cannon. Stuff him in it. Point it over Corio Bay. Fire.

Then add whoever had the idea to recruit him.

Not sure of his contract status, if up then let him leave. Not taking us forwards from this year on.
Overall not a bad trade. Gave up a pick that averages 40 games and got 79 goals in 3 seasons of decent output out of him - one obviously with shortened games.

Not sure of his contract status, if up then let him leave. Not taking us forwards from this year on.
Overall not a bad trade. Gave up a pick that averages 40 games and got 79 goals in 3 seasons of decent output out of him - one obviously with shortened games.
Apparently he's recently re-signed though not publically announced

Someone said that on Friday Krock reported he's signed for next season, and an article in the Herald Sun last month which listed each clubs out of contract players didn't include him on the Geelong list

Surely there was no need to rush to sign him up for next year and that could have waited until after the trade period - at that stage if there was a spot then you consider him for coverage next year, or you just say thanks but it's time we go our separate ways which was probably the way we should have gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back