News Congratulations Sam Murray - Round 3 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

No offence, but it’s starting to read like the welcome thread, time to put away the told you so and congratulate the young man.

I also didnt realise he was eligible.

I dont think he plays like a 25yo, because I still have questions over his disposal/decision making after those runs (but as long as they aren't straight turnovers, you can live with some errant kicks, given how much he helps in breaking the lines and get quick entries into our fwd half/50).

I do think he plays like someone with a good 25-30 AFL games under his belt though - theres definitely something in the way Sydney develops these guys, especially when the NEAFL is sub-par.

I had the same thought but I think with more games under his belt the decision making will improve and hopefully the disposal too, although no guarantees there. He must already be one of the first players picked, really pleasing to see given how badly we needed a player like him

Have a look for yourself. Here is a link to the page where the trade was announced. Amazing over reactions.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-f-a-2017-2018-refreshed.1180157/page-85

Congrats to Sam, solid and pleasing start.
I was wrong, I may have overreacted. It’s only been 3 games but he looks the goods so far. He could be an overall contender I didn’t expect this nomination so soon. Will be tough against the likes of Uniacke Davies, Liam Ryan and Cerra based on their first couple of games too.

Was Chicken Hawk also handy with his pace and booming kicking from a half back flank?

I’m unfamiliar with the cartoon.
I’m a rooster boy, a rooster I say.
You paying attention son? A bit dim witted.
I’m no chicken, a rooster boy a rooster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll take your word for it?
It’s actually quite a good cartoon, from the loony tunes series.
Mel Blanc with his genius voices.

I think posters (myself included) had every right to be sceptical at the price paid for a rookie. Right to ask questions about why the swans hadn't picked him... and right to doubt the quality of NEAFL competition as an accurate gauge for Murray's ability to have an AFL career.

And I'm sure Hine thought he'd cost less... more like a 3rd... but backed himself once the Swans upped the price.

So far so good. An about value pick up considering free agent Pittard would have cost serious $$$ to prise away from Port. And Saad a future 2nd anyway. We get a player of similar quality to those two AND a late 3rd round pick.

Mind you there is a fair chance we finish bottom 6 again and hand the swans pick 25-26 and swans finish top 4 and we get pick 56 or so back - points towards Quaynor

But be prepared.. losing an early 2nd is still gonna hurt on draft night.

But congrats to Sam! His line breaking, sidestep and unpredictability make him an asset to what has (Crisp excepted) been a pedestrian speed and predictable back 6 for some time.

Hopefully a 200 game career beckons.

We probably have to use Future Picks to get the Father/Son and Academy Potential Prospects

I’ve loved everything this kid has done since joining us! There was a passage of play vs Carlton where he literally had no room and then decided that splitting down the middle of two Carlton players was the best option, AND he made it! Let’s just say I was that gif of Randy from South Park.

Regardless though, we should’ve been able to get him for less, BUT maybe the Swans were super keen on him and just maybe our recruiters knew what they were getting (despite people believing that our recruitment team are basket cases), and they felt that we wouldn’t get our man if we didn’t agree to terms. We’re all armchair experts on the matter but unless you’re in the inner circle, we’ll never know. If he continues on this trajectory, he’s definitely worth the future second round pick and we’re essentially developing a kid now rather than waiting 12 months to develop another kid instead who may or may not be as good.

I was wrong, I may have overreacted. It’s only been 3 games but he looks the goods so far. He could be an overall contender I didn’t expect this nomination so soon. Will be tough against the likes of Uniacke Davies, Liam Ryan and Cerra based on their first couple of games too.
Liam Ryan is apparently set for a long stint on the sidelines due to injury. He did turn 21 late last year, so isn't eligible for the Rising Star Award anyway.

Hes 20 and played 3. Cutoff is 21 and 10 I think.
Sorry if I've misread this Bad Horse, but in terms of the number of games the player has played, all that matters is that they haven't played more than 10 games (i.e. 11+ !) prior to the season commencing. For instance, our Darcy Moore was nominated after his 24th game, and if a player had (the maximum) 10 games before the season commenced, then played all 22 games and was nominated after rd. 23 that would be his 32nd game.

Plus they must be under the age of 21 on the 1st of January. Turning 21 during the season doesn't matter.

So have we now got 2 rising star nominees in the team? All of a sudden the youth is looking strong......
We've got plenty of Rising Star nominees in the team, but he's our first since Tom Phillips last year. We have 14 players on our list currently who have received a nomination, regardless of when (and even where) they received that nomination.

Hopefully someone at least finds this interesting!!:
upload_2018-4-9_23-58-46.png

Aish, James
Broomhead, Tim
De Goey, Jordan
Fasolo, Alex
Goldsack, Tyson
Grundy, Brodie
Langdon, Tom
Moore, Darcy
Murray, Sam
Pendlebury, Scott
Phillips, Tom
Reid, Ben

Treloar, Adam
Wells, Daniel

I certainly agree that our youth is starting to look quite good. Seeing one of our players get nominated does always provide a real boost. Watching our reserves slaughter Northern Blues/Carlton reserves with many of our top young prospects really starring was mighty pleasing as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back