Women's Footy Congratulations to Chelsea & Erin - Most Courageous and MVP!

Remove this Banner Ad

It would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if Port had a side. Would Erin have been able to be a marquee player in that case?

When you consider we got Perkins and Phillips after the marquee players AND the draft were finished... honestly we could have finished almost bottom.

Port were never going to have a side. They have a lot of issues to fix up with their women's side, unfortunately. It's great they are in the competition and I will always cherish my first game here against them at Alberton where we won 129 to 0. ;) But there are some serious administration issues that they are trying to fix up, so they were never a realistic chance because of their past administration issues in that league but also in that Port have struggled money wise in the AFL as well.

That is very harsh on Daisy, who does do a lot of volunteer work and always has around her football club. She is very driven to play to her best like Danger, but she is revered for being humble by her peers and her teammates adore her. Humble is not a word other players use about Danger.
I'm seperating that from her work in the commentary box

Port were never going to have a side. They have a lot of issues to fix up with their women's side, unfortunately. It's great they are in the competition and I will always cherish my first game here against them at Alberton where we won 129 to 0. ;) But there are some serious administration issues that they are trying to fix up, so they were never a realistic chance because of their past administration issues in that league but also in that Port have struggled money wise in the AFL as well.
The Power dropped them like a hot potatoe once the PR opportunities dried up.

Any word on the Academy they were going to set up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Erin, well done.

Now for a photo with three medals, and her two kids in the cup.

I bet her old man is in happy tears right now... Greg, your daughter just won the very first AFLWMVP

Last edited:
The Power dropped them like a hot potatoe once the PR opportunities dried up.

Any word on the Academy they were going to set up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They have women's teams in Div 1 & 3 but no u18 girls team, so I don't know if their Academy is happening or not.

So was this award voted on by the players - so like the AFLPA MVP award for the men?

Or was this the Brownlow equivalent?
Yep. AFLPA MVP. Then there'll be the AFL B& F and the Club B& F. These girls will be bloody exhausted this week! Hope they're all on holidays!

Erin, well done.

Now for a photo with three medals, and her two kids in the cup.

I bet her old man is in happy tears right now... Greg, your daughter just won the very first Brownlow.

Not yet. Don't jinx it! This is the players MVP. The 'Alberti' is being given out tomorrow night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daisy was the face of the sport so the league got behind her. But she is over rated. Good player but not the standout as Erin. Dont know how they could have given best captain to her.
The PLAYERS voted her best Captain.

How would they know other than the fact she was on all the tv ads. It makes it a silly award and hardly makes her the best captain.
Same can be said for the boys awards. Any of the blokes at other clubs wouldn't know other team captains from squat. They still vote.

How would they know other than the fact she was on all the tv ads. It makes it a silly award and hardly makes her the best captain.

How many of those players have played at Darebin or against Darebin? The vast majority of the players were from Victoria so they would have a lot of experience of her captaincy. Also she has been the VIC team captain and the Melbourne Exhibition team captain where other players would have played under her. I have no issues with the Peers in this respect voting on it because there is more experience and recent experience from a large number of players in the league witnessing her captaincy.

Congrats to these two women ... just a couple of amazing players.

I wanted to say how much emotion I had invested in the AFLW ... I absolutely loved watching it with my kids as much as I love watching the mens.

You know why?

Because you can see these women putting in their heart and soul and body for the good of the team. My team. I haven't teared up so much from sport in my life. Watching these women play a game that allows them to show what they are made of is just so awesome. The effort and braveness was palpable. This wasn't just a run around the park for a few of the girls ... this was a serious professional comp and it mattered. Cannot believe we won the whole shebang !!

Seeing all of the players, of all sizes, and backgrounds come together and put it all on the line ... inspiring. The emotion for the Phillips family said it all. Erin just loves the game, she loves it like Sloaney loves it ... and she nearly didn't get a chance to express it. I understood all the emotions that Greg was going through, and how big hearted is the big fella? Just love how he embraced the Crows probably against every fibre in his body ... because it was his little girl's dream. Legend.

Well done to the AFL, we bash them when they stuff up ... but we should congratulate them when they get it right. The women's league is all kinds of right imo.

Probably doesn't hurt that my 13 year old daughter and 16 year old son are as invested as I am, but I can only see the AFLW going from strength to strength!

Bring on 2018.

Congrats to these two women ... just a couple of amazing players.

I wanted to say how much emotion I had invested in the AFLW ... I absolutely loved watching it with my kids as much as I love watching the mens.

You know why?

Because you can see these women putting in their heart and soul and body for the good of the team. My team. I haven't teared up so much from sport in my life. Watching these women play a game that allows them to show what they are made of is just so awesome. The effort and braveness was palpable. This wasn't just a run around the park for a few of the girls ... this was a serious professional comp and it mattered. Cannot believe we won the whole shebang !!

Seeing all of the players, of all sizes, and backgrounds come together and put it all on the line ... inspiring. The emotion for the Phillips family said it all. Erin just loves the game, she loves it like Sloaney loves it ... and she nearly didn't get a chance to express it. I understood all the emotions that Greg was going through, and how big hearted is the big fella? Just love how he embraced the Crows probably against every fibre in his body ... because it was his little girl's dream. Legend.

Well done to the AFL, we bash them when they stuff up ... but we should congratulate them when they get it right. The women's league is all kinds of right imo.

Probably doesn't hurt that my 13 year old daughter and 16 year old son are as invested as I am, but I can only see the AFLW going from strength to strength!

Bring on 2018.
Spoke to a Suns mum after the match on Saturday and she had tears in her eyes too. Her daughter is in the Suns Academy - has two more years playing U18's before she can be considered for AFLW - but is so excited that she can actually even be considered. Imagine what her skills are going to be like with a further couple of years honing! This comp will improve and grow... and pretty quickly. We've had little girls chomping at the bit for this for many years. And like I said early on, I never thought I'd see it in MY life time. I'm so, so glad I have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back