Delisted Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth at Freo with a pretty solid midfield ahead of him. Has played 16 of a possible 44 games under Justin Longmuir, with kicking obviously the big issue for him. Who takes him? I hope Essendon put their hat in the ring as we don't really have his type (defensive inside midfielder) on our list at all.

I think there is more chance of a Victorian club offering Freo a first round pick for Will Brodie than there is of a club taking Connor Blakely for free.

Won't get a gig anywhere, has been free to a good home the past couple of years and no takers

Agreed, he was put up on the trade table last year i believe and no one was interested.

Think he is only a depth player at best tbh..

What happened with this guy? Thought he looked set to be a solid to really good player maybe 5 or so years ago, then there was the thing where he went surfing instead of to a session or something and feel like I've hardly heard about him since. Just no commitment, bad attitude, or was he a dud in disguise?

Depth at Freo with a pretty solid midfield ahead of him. Has played 16 of a possible 44 games under Justin Longmuir, with kicking obviously the big issue for him. Who takes him? I hope Essendon put their hat in the ring as we don't really have his type (defensive inside midfielder) on our list at all.
If you're looking for a defensive midfielder, you're looking in the wrong spot.

If you are looking for a backup inside midfielder with poor disposal look no further.

What happened with this guy? Thought he looked set to be a solid to really good player maybe 5 or so years ago, then there was the thing where he went surfing instead of to a session or something and feel like I've hardly heard about him since. Just no commitment, bad attitude, or was he a dud in disguise?
He was in good form, then smashed hus shoulder twice. Then a serious hammy.

The story goes he was langdons housemate and shagged langdons missus.

Now he has his own lawnmowing company, waiting until his contract runs out.
He was pretty lucky. Scored a 4 year deal from memory.

Typical player like Nathan O'Driscoll where supporters think they've got a gun early days, but the fact the player is going to be a contender for worst kick in the competition means they end up being a dud and fans don't care if they leave.

Typical player like Nathan O'Driscoll where supporters think they've got a gun early days, but the fact the player is going to be a contender for worst kick in the competition means they end up being a dud and fans don't care if they leave.

O'Driscoll has considerably higher upside than Blakey. Was one of Freo's best against Essendo

Scratching my head here ...

Talking about contender for worst kick in the comp, ok I’ll bite on Blakey, but O’Driscoll !!!. O’Driscoll has a penetrating bullet like kick ( well left foot at least ).

Cheers. Now you mention it i do remember the langdon story. I guess the injuries probably did him in and are the reason i stopped seeing him play/being aware of him. Seems a shame but par for the course i guess.

Cheers. Now you mention it i do remember the langdon story. I guess the injuries probably did him in and are the reason i stopped seeing him play/being aware of him. Seems a shame but par for the course i guess.
Yeah s**t happens. I thought he would do really well. Maybe a change of scenery will do him the world of good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Driscolls kicking has actually been one of his biggest upsides at AFL level

The technique doesn't look good but it gets results

O'driscoll had some bullet passes Into the fwd line last weekend when every one else was kicking it right above tabs head. His kicking is fine

I don't think you know who Nathan O'Driscoll is.

So he cut the wrong man's grass is what your saying! :$ :embarrassedv1: :eek:

Probably more a case of never developing more tools than he started off with.

He can clearly find the ball inside and does have a reasonable step and burst out of stoppage. However his kicking seems to have gotten worse over the years. Initially it was probably below average but he's never really seemed to have got how to work within his limitations in that respect (ie he still rushes and shankes it as a result) and hasn't improved it even one bit (I tend to think you can't really improve kicking much but even a little bit helps in some circumstances).

Add to that early on he was a bit of a defensive liability, hence Ross moving him back, but any improvement there has come too late for his AFL career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't Blakey being bit of a whipping boy for Freo fans in the past?

I don't think most Freo fans will be devastated if he leaves, put it that way.
Would've been delisted two years ago if he didn't sign that fat extension when we thought he was good. Also the reason why langdon is gone. We've tried shopping him around but no takers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back