List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is, if Yeo left now, at his age, he’s not triggering anything decent in the way of a compensation pick. Band 4 or band 5.
One day we'll get you over that wall of anger, and it will be glorious!!

Band 1 here we come!

Looking at the age profile per position, I would probably look to a KPD or a fast and small lock down defender. I say that in thinking that our R1 pick this year will be again pointy end and that is where there are some excellent midfielders. Plus I always give a bit more leniency to talls as they can take longer to mature. The other thing to find out is whether we see Barnett as a ruck or a KPP. I was unsure when we drafted him and if we see him more as a KPP, then maybe we go a ruck.

Our list is full with 39 on the senior list, 5 rookies and 2 CAT B

Here is my updated position by age - I have shifted Jamieson to the KPD category.

1713251830375.png

We still have time with senior members to mentor any general small defender, what we don't have is time on the clock for either Barrass and Mcgovern.

KPD would be my main priority.

The question is, is there a KPD worth taking in the MSD - I expect blokes yourself to confirm if that is the case?

Ah yeah perfect. Just in time for us to miss out on all the Judds and 06 premiership FS after everyone else has rotted the system for years.
They need to separate the rules between northern academy & father son selections.
I have no problem with father sons as it all depends on luck most of the time.

I don't understand the desire for Sheldrick, Garcia, dev and Tunstill.
Sure, a couple may be decent players, but we're likely to have another top 3 mid after this year's draft, so we don't need another inside mid with Reid, FOS (as an example), Hewett, Ginbey, Hall & Culley.

It's the one area of the ground we are now well stocked. Need basically every other position more, particularly runners/rebounders/good ball users
I think people are just looking for some value given our situation.
Our draft hand for 2024 isn't looking crash hot outside of our first pick and we don't have many options for selling seniors etc to improve that. We also haven't taken many high picks in recent drafts either compared to other teams around us, so need to get creative to fast track the rebuild.
I for one think we need to get some young talls onto our list as a priority given where our rebuild is at, but this doesn't seem the draft for that so far.

Many have said 2025 is operation Sam Taylor or Chad Warner but hear me out lads, next year should be operation BONT, he’s unrestricted free agent right in his prime ready to help yeo TK and Harley bring us to glory, he’d cost a bit salary wise but I think it’d be a huge get

Many have said 2025 is operation Sam Taylor or Chad Warner but hear me out lads, next year should be operation BONT, he’s unrestricted free agent right in his prime ready to help yeo TK and Harley bring us to glory, he’d cost a bit salary wise but I think it’d be a huge get
He will never leave the dogs

Isn’t tunstill more outside? I thought he was playing wing?
Dunno, maybe
If so, he's not your break-the-lines wing that we probably need though I'd think.
Read my early line

"1. Is there the right player we want and hence get ahead of the draft as we did with Culley and Maric"

My post was about whether we have an open spot and possibly how one might open up.

For the record, we have a new list manager. He was part of a team that aggressively went after mid season draftees. Richmond were also strong on looking at players with a known defect but in the list with the right surrounds and role, they worked.

I have no appetite for a list clogger, but I am fine in going for a 19 year old ruck or KPD that was not coordinated enough in his draft year but has now found their feet.

Yeo, Allen, Duggan are out of contract but no close to being delisted/retire

Those out of contract at the end of this year that are in danger of being delisted
Gaff
Luke Edwards
Witherden
Trew (R)
Jones
Jack Williams
Rotham
Baker
Burgiel
Livingstone (Cat B)
Dewar (Cat B)
Rawlings (R) - very much doubt based on what we have seen

So that is 11 players that face an interesting 2024.

I can see 5 that I would probably see off our list come November.
  • Gaff, L Edwards and Witherden struggle with leg speed while Rotham struggles to think fast enough so not crap himself (not the case on Sunday and I hope he proves me wrong).
  • Loving the speed Jones plays at but his turnovers will kill us and he will soon be a list clogger unless he can get composure.
  • Baker will need to show something this year now he is no longer Cat B
As much as I loved the pick of Burgiel, I am now concerned as to whether his body can stand up to AFL durability

That is then 5 draftees (4 at ND and 1 mid season) and 1 FA.
Reckon J.Williams and Burgeil are practically 0 chance of being delisted.
Burgeil......latest injury is bad luck but not indicative of a body that's not holding up. Not unusual for a first year player to have a season written off to injury like he had last year. And let's face it, half the list was in the same boat. For a fairly high pick (which we don't have many of) that is seemingly rated, it would be nonsensical to delist at this point.
J.Williams - young key forwards need to be given time. Unless they're god-awful they are held for longer. He's shown a bit and I think Knights in the paper spoke well of him & what he's done so far.
Also we won't cut all three of Roth, Witho and Jones obviously, we'd have no backmen outside our first picked 7 basically. Not that'd you've suggested they all go. I think Jones is in most danger, Witho the least.

The Gaff situation is interesting. I wonder what the club has said to him. I guarantee his agent has been on the phone to the club wanting to either start extension negotiations or wanting to establish a timeframe for a decision and parameters that would need to be satisfied to trigger the club to offer him an extension. Because thats their job to try and secure extensions for their clients as early as possible. I think the club will have been forced to put it's cards on the table with Gaff's agent by now and tell him where things stand. You would think if they had told him he is no longer best 22 and won't be getting an extension then things would have moved on to organising a farewell game and a pay out. But they haven't.

I hope they treat him with respect and honesty but i also hope they put the club's interests first and tell him it is time to retire.

Sure, a couple may be decent players, but we're likely to have another top 3 mid after this year's draft, so we don't need another inside mid with Reid, FOS (as an example), Hewett, Ginbey, Hall & Culley.

It's the one area of the ground we are now well stocked. Need basically every other position more, particularly runners/rebounders/good ball users

Ultimate pain factor is the go home factor. So we prefer to pick from 10% of population and ignore the 90%.

People hate what Judd did, but love Kennedy more than life. In a funny sort of way, people have compartmentalised each separately vs reality in that Kennedy would never have been at club had Judd stayed.

If Reid leaves, it will also create great opportunity. I’d rather we had that risk and see what we are seeing vs playing it safe based on geography.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a reasonably healthy list ATM and the mid season draft being held between rounds 11 ad 12, we have 2 players likely to still be in recovery. That being Oscar sue back in 6 to 7 weeks (ie round 12) and Hewett post post (ie best case round 15).

The main arguments for taking a pick are two fold

1. Is there the right player we want and hence get ahead of the draft as we did with Culley and Maric
2. Do you take away hope for a player in rehab wanting to get back before the end of the season.

No way is Oscar missing action - a club does not put their captain in that situation.

Hewett is an interesting one. He has extended his contract so no drama and will be told the club loves him. The only risk is if we have everyone else available and Hewett cannot even play WAFL if he is put to the LTI list and there are no other injuries keeping a player out

Something about the last 3 years that makes me think - "no LTI players, that is not going to happen".

Without real insights into Hewett's injury and recovery, it will not be a simple discussion. I would not want to stop Hewett playing late in the year and can only assume we will have other injuries, or are prepared to go to someone like Gaff and ask him to be have an extended holiday and reinvent himself so that Hewett can play. A little disrespectful but there again this is business.

Looking at the age profile per position, I would probably look to a KPD or a fast and small lock down defender. I say that in thinking that our R1 pick this year will be again pointy end and that is where there are some excellent midfielders. Plus I always give a bit more leniency to talls as they can take longer to mature. The other thing to find out is whether we see Barnett as a ruck or a KPP. I was unsure when we drafted him and if we see him more as a KPP, then maybe we go a ruck.

Our list is full with 39 on the senior list, 5 rookies and 2 CAT B

Here is my updated position by age - I have shifted Jamieson to the KPD category.

View attachment 1961247

Hewett is a simple discussion “is there a chance he gets back and plays half a dozen games even in the WAFL”

If the answer is yes (it is) they won’t put him on the LTI.

The second part of the equation is “is there a player in MSD we could use on our list either for the now or the future” and that’s less clear. There is certainly no stand out that has emerged like Culley or Maric. Most are saying it’s a thin MSD this year, and we likely won’t even have pick 1, likely 2 or 3.

There’s a more than 50/50 chance we don’t take a pick in the MSD.

Tunstill is a more balanced outside running mid. So we definately need one of those.

And Yeo and Kelly are both turning 30.

Gaff is gone. Sheed's body is questionable.

L Edwards is a slow burn and may not make it.

Same with the likes of Trew and even Culley.

One mid to late first rounder for Tommy.
That's a no from me.

From the HS

WHO NEEDS A KEY DEFENDER?

Clubs on the Eastern Seaboard will again desperately try to lure West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass out of the club as they scour the competition for established key backs.

With most star backs on long-term deals and clubs already sniffing about a weak mid-season draft, they will again ask about Barrass’s future.

Many have already inquired this year and industry sources believe the Dogs are one club who would love another established key back like Barrass.

He shapes as one of the very few players with trade currency if West Coast’s new list boss Matthew Clark wants to enhance the club’s draft hand.

The 28-year-old would be worthy of a first-round pick but he and his fiance Nadia Rosa have two young children in Perth and would be unlikely to consider a trade request.

Sydney made a concerted bid for him last season.
But he has three seasons on a deal of at least $750,000, is a premiership player and like Eliot Yeo is very happy at the Eagles.

Reading the Bulldogs boards Trade and List Management thread wowie.....anyone think they support the Eagles the way they are bashing the coach.....the club not to mention players. The club and coach have mixed messages and it seems they are looking at quite a bit of player movement at seasons end.

Interesting several Dogs posters are suggesting English moves to a roaming CHF role and they find a good tap ruckman to take centre bounces. Around the ground is where English plays best. Our Bailey is a pretty good centre bounce ruck and a 200cm CHF that plays as a mid I something I'm sure Oscar, Maric and Waterman would benefit from providing a big target on the wing and up the ground.

Many are saying they should let Tim go as a FA, get picks for Smith and even move on McCrae.

Nothing more frustrating as a supporter than a gun list not performing.

Reading the Bulldogs boards Trade and List Management thread wowie.....anyone think they support the Eagles the way they are bashing the coach.....the club not to mention players. The club and coach have mixed messages and it seems they are looking at quite a bit of player movement at seasons end.

Interesting several Dogs posters are suggesting English moves to a roaming CHF role and they find a good tap ruckman to take centre bounces. Around the ground is where English plays best. Our Bailey is a pretty good centre bounce ruck and a 200cm CHF that plays as a mid I something I'm sure Oscar, Maric and Waterman would benefit from providing a big target on the wing and up the ground.

Many are saying they should let Tim go as a FA, get picks for Smith and even move on McCrae.

Nothing more frustrating as a supporter than a gun list not performing.

English has already been through that in 2020/21. There was talk from his manager at the time that he only wanted to be a #1 ruckman.

He’s not leaving to play FWD/2nd ruck for us, and he’s not going to be playing that role at the dogs next year either.

One mid to late first rounder for Tommy.
That's a no from me.

From the HS

WHO NEEDS A KEY DEFENDER?

Clubs on the Eastern Seaboard will again desperately try to lure West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass out of the club as they scour the competition for established key backs.

With most star backs on long-term deals and clubs already sniffing about a weak mid-season draft, they will again ask about Barrass’s future.

Many have already inquired this year and industry sources believe the Dogs are one club who would love another established key back like Barrass.

He shapes as one of the very few players with trade currency if West Coast’s new list boss Matthew Clark wants to enhance the club’s draft hand.

The 28-year-old would be worthy of a first-round pick but he and his fiance Nadia Rosa have two young children in Perth and would be unlikely to consider a trade request.

Sydney made a concerted bid for him last season.
But he has three seasons on a deal of at least $750,000, is a premiership player and like Eliot Yeo is very happy at the Eagles.
I’d do it for a top 10 pick if he wanted to go (which he wouldn’t) and if we had better replacements than what we have currently (i.e. nada).

He seems a bit cooked imo.

His future appears most suited to being a loose intercept marker in the Gov mould but we really need a fast, strong lockdown KPD.

Obviously we would be weakening an already weak part of the team so we’d need to be bringing in a mature KPD and a young talent, but turning Barrass’s cooked body into a top 10 pick would be a decent result.

It won’t happen though because he won’t want to leave

I think people are just looking for some value given our situation.
Our draft hand for 2024 isn't looking crash hot outside of our first pick and we don't have many options for selling seniors etc to improve that. We also haven't taken many high picks in recent drafts either compared to other teams around us, so need to get creative to fast track the rebuild.
I for one think we need to get some young talls onto our list as a priority given where our rebuild is at, but this doesn't seem the draft for that so far.
The club should look at any way to improve their list. The question is, are the likes of Sheldrick, Dev, Tunstill, Garcia better than the bottom four players on our list (well, bottom eight, as we need to cut four anyway to allow for drafting). The answer in each case is probably yes, so if we can get them for nothing other than salary costs, you do it.

Last edited:
Assuming we got a suitable trade offer for TB, if Bazzo could get over his groin issues and play the second half of the year out, HEdwards can play most of the second half of the year injury free, plus we sign Buss, I cant see why we would have to stop TB from going.

We would then have 5 KPDs on the list, including Gov and Jamo, with HEdwards and Jamo being the replacements for TB until Buss is ready. Buss will be 3rd year and Bazzo 4th year, they wouldnt be far off being strong enough to wrestle older forwards. Should draft some sort of KPD too, bringing it to 6

Hes still unlikely to go outside some ridiculous offer, and a big ask to hope that our two young KPDs stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back