newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Corio Oval is where Geelong played until 1941.

I believe the oval was somewhere in this area.

I recall seeing photos on the net where the photographer has spotted raised mounds in the area which may have been part of the outer. (anyone able to link to them ?)

Geelong played there from their VFA days until 1941 when the military took over the ground for training purposes.

A few years after Geelong relocated and the war ended, the oval got converted to a trotting and greyhound track.
The trots moved away from there in 1978 because they believed the track was too small, the greyhounds moved a couple of years later due to an animal science laboratory being built nearby.
The oval and grandstands were then demolished and a conference centre was built on that location.
I believe there is a memorial somewhere in the conference centre recognising the historical significants of the area.

I leave this information open to correction or verification.

Last edited:
Does anyone have some pics of the actual ground before the stands were demolished.It would be great to see what it looked like as a VFA / VFL ground.

I also love all the old footy grounds in Melbourne and around the State that still survive.

Corio Oval is where Geelong played until 1941.

I believe the oval was somewhere in this area.
http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-38.151264,144.383542&ll=-38.151264,144.383542&z=18&t=k&nmd=20111209

I recall seeing photos on the net where the photographer has spotted raised mounds in the area which may have been part of the outer. (anyone able to link to them ?)

Geelong played there from their VFA days until 1941 when the military took over the ground for training purposes.

A few years after Geelong relocated and the war ended, the oval got converted to a trotting and greyhound track.
The trots moved away from there in 1978 because they believed the track was too small, the greyhounds moved a couple of years later due to an animal science laboratory being built nearby.
The oval and grandstands were then demolished and a conference centre was built on that location.
I believe there is a memorial somewhere in the conference centre recognising the historical significants of the area.

I leave this information open to correction or verification.

371 VFL matches were played at Corio Oval - the first on 8 May 1897 and the last 24 August 1940.

Geelong won 242, lost 123 and drew 6 of their matches at Corio Oval.

Until 1934 when the Collingwood Football Club became the ground manager of Victoria Park, Geelong was the only VFL club to be manager of their home ground.

Playing matches at Kardinia Park in 1941 was thought to be a temporary measure but when relinquished by the military, the Corio Oval was in no fit state for playing matches on and their was considerable damage to the stands and facilities. With compensation for repairs slow in coming, Kardinia Park was again used for matches when Geelong resumed in 1944 after a two year break from competing.

As late as 1947 there was still discussion about Geelong returning to Corio Oval.

The highest recorded attendance at Corio Oval was 26,025 in 1925 for a match against Collingwood.

Corio Oval was renamed the Olympic Raceway and night trotting and greyhound racing commenced there towards the end of 1956.

I have one I'll never use. Zero emotional attachment, just would like to free up some space.

Here's a picture from when it got converted into a trotting/greyhound track.
Looking at the position of the grandstands, I'd say that the position of the footy oval in this picture is totally different to the position of the original oval.
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictures/gid/slv-pic-aaa41117

corio_loc_zps9af8ecf8.png

Here is the position of the Corio Oval from a 1938 Map - marked as Football & Cricket Ground. The position and orientation of the oval conforms to the photo of the trotting track from the 1950s. The goals were always North-South. The Friendly Societies Oval/Reserve which can be seen at the top the aerial photo of the trotting track had goals East-West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

371 VFL matches were played at Corio Oval - the first on 8 May 1897 and the last 24 August 1940.

Geelong won 242, lost 123 and drew 6 of their matches at Corio Oval.

Until 1934 when the Collingwood Football Club became the ground manager of Victoria Park, Geelong was the only VFL club to be manager of their home ground.

Playing matches at Kardinia Park in 1941 was thought to be a temporary measure but when relinquished by the military, the Corio Oval was in no fit state for playing matches on and their was considerable damage to the stands and facilities. With compensation for repairs slow in coming, Kardinia Park was again used for matches when Geelong resumed in 1944 after a two year break from competing.

As late as 1947 there was still discussion about Geelong returning to Corio Oval.

The highest recorded attendance at Corio Oval was 26,025 in 1925 for a match against Collingwood.

Corio Oval was renamed the Olympic Raceway and night trotting and greyhound racing commenced there towards the end of 1956.
"From my personal analysis of the record at Corio Oval, I have Geelong winning 241, losing 124, and drawing 6. During Round 6 of the 1,909 season, Geelong lost to Saint Kilda (6-12-48 to 6-13-49); but analysis showed that Saint Kilda fielded a suspended player: subsequently, the V.F.L. decreed Saint Kilda's 4 premiership-points were to be forfeited to Geelong. From what I can ascertain, Geelong was only given the 4 premiership-points and not credited with the outright win (the final scores were used to finalize the respective teams' percentages). If this is incorrect, I would greatly appreciate some clarification on the matter. Thank you."

"From my personal analysis of the record at Corio Oval, I have Geelong winning 241, losing 124, and drawing 6. During Round 6 of the 1,909 season, Geelong lost to Saint Kilda (6-12-48 to 6-13-49); but analysis showed that Saint Kilda fielded a suspended player: subsequently, the V.F.L. decreed Saint Kilda's 4 premiership-points were to be forfeited to Geelong. From what I can ascertain, Geelong was only given the 4 premiership-points and not credited with the outright win (the final scores were used to finalize the respective teams' percentages). If this is incorrect, I would greatly appreciate some clarification on the matter. Thank you."

The only forfeited match in the League's history has always been counted by the League as a Geelong win.
The AFL Record Season Guide - The Official Statistical History of the AFL always has shown the 1909 ladder as below with 3 in the win column for Geelong and 2 in the win column for St Kilda.

1909_zpsa62064a8.jpg

Geelong's other two wins in 1909 were vs Carlton in round 4 at Corio Oval and in round 18 vs Richmond at Corio Oval.
St Kilda's two wins that stood were vs University in round 3 and vs Geelong in round 15 at the Junction Oval.
The final ladder published in the Argus Sept 6 1909 also shows Geelong with 3 wins and St Kilda 2. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/356725
To count the round 6 1909 match as a St Kilda win and a Geelong loss is illogical.

The otherwise estimable AFL Tables however counts it as a St Kilda win http://afltables.com/afl/seas/1909.html#6 and this error is reflected in Geelong's and St Kilda's overall win/loss records elsewhere on the site.

At the time of the match, Geelong secretary, Charles Brownlow advised St Kilda that they would play Stewart at their "own risk".

Poor Stewart. Named and shamed for being an in eligible player, and "ginger".

Would've loved Richmond to finish 9th in 1909.

Poor Stewart. Named and shamed for being an in eligible player, and "ginger".

Would've loved Richmond to finish 9th in 1909.
St Kilda officials were the ones shamed. Stewart had been suspended by the Ballarat League and the St Kilda match committee were not competent enough to know the rules regarding his eligibility to play in the VFL. Shortly before the start of the match there must have been some doubt raised because Brownlow was asked what the position was. By telling St Kilda that they would play Stewart at their "own risk", he meant that if St Kilda should win the match, Geelong would protest.

As for Richmond finishing 9th on 1909 - if they had, today they would have been equal with Geelong in finishing 9th 11 times. (Carlton has been 9th once and St Kilda 14 times.)

Since finishing 9th meant one place removed from a finals position Richmond have finished 9th six times and Hawthorn three times. Geelong once.

1994-2014 round 9 - after a completed round of matches Nth Melbourne have been 9th 37 times, Hawthorn 36 times and Richmond 35 times. Geelong the least - 16 times.

Is it just me who wishes they'd stayed there? I can see it being a very picturesque stadium nowadays given its location

corio_loc_zps9af8ecf8.png

Here is the position of the Corio Oval from a 1938 Map - marked as Football & Cricket Ground. The position and orientation of the oval conforms to the photo of the trotting track from the 1950s. The goals were always North-South. The Friendly Societies Oval/Reserve which can be seen at the top the aerial photo of the trotting track had goals East-West.
Further to this, here is the Corio Oval in its configuration as a Trotting/Dog track in the 1978 Melways. Corio Oval.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back