Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 'social media influencer' just returned from Paris has been arrested attempting to break out of quarantine in Sydney. She was found 150 metres away and claimed she was, 'just going out for a smoke'. She was fined $1000 for leaving quarantine but according to SEVEN Sunrise faces 'more serious charges' for attempting to dismantle the sprinkler system in the hotel room. Obviously wanted a f** without setting off the sprinkler system. Maybe someone had better check the toilets on the aircraft she flew from Paris on?

To me the more serious charge should have been attempting to avoid quarantine. Early in the epidemic a Victorian man in Perth was gaoled for escaping quarantine to visit his fiancee.

PS What does a 'social media influencer' actually do apart from dismantling sprinklers and attempting an escape from quarantine?

View attachment 907558

Adriana Xenides' love child! :eek:

Vexit

30299706-8482067-image-m-19_1593666058945.jpg

Ha you just want to see his discomfort as the swab goes up his nose and down his throat. You're a bad person gbear. :p

I offered to bring one home from work, but he would not let me inflict torture on him 😂 swab is done and he says his nose hurts now, but says he was told by the doctor to get plenty of rest and fluids. He is taking on the sick role well.

I offered to bring one home from work, but he would not let me inflict torture on him 😂 swab is done and he says his nose hurts now, but says he was told by the doctor to get plenty of rest and fluids. He is taking on the sick role well.

Wrap him up in a PPE cocoon.

7 new cases in NSW, 6 are from hotel quarantine. 1 new case in QLD.

Victoria updating around lunchtime. Expecting to report over 190 new cases.

Victoria updating around lunchtime. Expecting to report over 190 new cases.

I would not be surprised if it is even more. They are carrying out 20000 tests per day. Already 53 confirmed cases in the locked down apartments. The case numbers will be similar to that if the ruby princess.

Greater Melbourne has to go back into stage 3 lock down tomorrow. Contract tracing is already stretched thin. Multiple outbreaks in hospitals. Those that are pointing fun at Victoria - understand that you'll be impacted by this too. There are people like myself who have had their entire lives uprooted and followed the rules since early march. Pull your heads in.

Greater Melbourne has to go back into stage 3 lock down tomorrow. Contract tracing is already stretched thin. Multiple outbreaks in hospitals. Those that are pointing fun at Victoria - understand that you'll be impacted by this too. There are people like myself who have had their entire lives uprooted and followed the rules since early march. Pull your heads in.

TBH, we should have gone back to stage 3 restrictions at least a week ago.

TBH, we should have gone back to stage 3 restrictions at least a week ago.

Unfortunately the Victorian government led by Andrews has handled this outbreak extremely poorly and now as a result the cases will grow exponentially. As much as people complain about the Marshall Government and their stringent policies around the borders, I would rather be in the position South Australia is in currently than what we are seeing in Victoria.
I have sympathy for those who have done everything right, but there were a substantial amount of the community who were complacent and did not give a toss about the guidelines, which has now led to the current situation. The rest of Australia needs to take note of what is happening in Victoria and realise that it could easily happen in other parts of the country if other communities become complacent 😒

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 people from hotel quarantine have been taken to hospital late this morning. I imagine they will be tested using the rapid tests, so results will be known fairly quickly. Highly likely we will see new cases in the coming days from this group of arrivals.

I don't blame the Andrews government for what has happened in the last fortnight, it was clear that the momentum was that whenever there is an outbreak we will use local tracing and treating to fix it. That appeared successful at the meatworks etc and was the accepted tactic.

Andrews was one of the strictest early on, but clearly there was a national consensus on how to move forward and it hasn't worked.
Victorians are paying for it.

When it gets to a certain point you have to go back to Stage 3 statewide lockdown.
Unfortunate but true.
We cannot wait until Friday, it has to be a statewide Stage 3 now.

If its not done now it IS his fault, he needs to take statewide responsibility and call it.

Trust me, I'm not seeing a funny side to this.

If this spotty lockdown continues it will continue to propogate nationally and as a 56 year old carrying too many kegs its a threat to my life as well as everyone else in a similar situation. I'd like to see my kids married off and have grandkids before I punch my ticket.
What happened to Boris Johnson (someone a similar age and build to myself) could happen to any of us, although not all of us would get the individual treatment he did.
Its not a joke.

Last edited:
Spot on.

As much as I love the NRL, there is a massive booze culture amongst a large portion of the playing group. A few of my friends who live in Brisbane regularly will see Broncos players out in a nightclub getting absolutely sh!t faced after a game, or they'll see them hungover at the Chermside shopping centre on a Sunday afternoon where they can barely stand upright.

What I'm unsure about is whether this booze culture is more reflective of the culture up in QLD and NSW in general. Not so much getting pissed every weekend, but the weather there certainly makes it more advantageous for a few beers at the pub on a weekend in winter.

The AFL has too had its own culture problems, but when you can test positive to illicit substances multiple times and get away with it, things are easier to sweep under the rug.

Its a bit if everything. Rugby League has its culture issues for sure, but its still essentially a working class game played by working class people who generally, more or less, come from tougher upbringings than the general AFL player population. And whether they want to admit it or not, the media love to go after these sorts of people. We all saw what happened to Sam Powell Pepper, a kid from a pretty rough upbringing, over the night club incident. Contrast that with the hush-hush approach to Steele Sidebottom's misdemeanours.
I would also argue there's a general culture of silence in media circles around the AFL private school boys club, which allows players off field antics to fly very much under the radar. Just my take.

If nothing else, this is a grim warning to us and the other states that this s**t can quickly get out of control again. We do not want to be going back in to lockdowns.

I don't blame the Andrews government for what has happened in the last fortnight, it was clear that the momentum was that whenever there is an outbreak we will use local tracing and treating to fix it. That appeared successful at the meatworks etc and was the accepted tactic.

Andrews was one of the strictest early on, but clearly there was a national consensus on how to move forward and it hasn't worked.

When it gets to a certain point you have to go back to Stage 3 statewide lockdown.
Unfortunate but true.

If its not done now it IS his fault, he needs to take statewide responsibility and call it.

If this spotty lockdown continues it will continue to propogate nationally and as a 56 year old carrying too many kegs its a threat to my life as well as everyone else in a similar situation. I'd like to see my kids married off and have grandkids before I punch my ticket.
What happened to Boris Johnson could happen to any of us, although not all of us would get the individual treatment he did.
Its not a joke.
You’re right about Andrews as early in the epidemic he was the “poster boy” as the best Premier in Australia and now its all gone pear shape. Under pressure (AFL & Eddie for example) I guess he “opened up the state” to early and now the state of Victoria is paying for it. There always had to be one Premier who was the first to go! - and he was the one!
Please be aware that these are my own thoughts.

Unfortunate but true.

What happened to Boris Johnson could happen to any of us, although not all of us would get the individual treatment he did.
Its not a joke.

So you think that the whole hotel quarantine fiasco in Victoria was not Andrews' and Mikakos' fault?

These two are so incompetent that they couldn't tell you the time in a room full of clocks, and yet they're the ones running the show down there. If they were a private enterprise both of them would have been sacked ages ago.

Andrews will need to go to stage 3 lockdown he has no choice. I have a friend who owns a small business in Melb. He was hammered hard with the first lockdown and doesnt expect to survive if there is another one .He said people in Melb are scared of what another lockdown will do to the economy. But they will have to live with it. Overseas has shown that it doesn't take long to go from 100 new cases a day to 1000 without a proper lockdown
SAd times for the vics

Its a bit if everything. Rugby League has its culture issues for sure, but its still essentially a working class game played by working class people who generally, more or less, come from tougher upbringings than the general AFL player population. And whether they want to admit it or not, the media love to go after these sorts of people. We all saw what happened to Sam Powell Pepper, a kid from a pretty rough upbringing, over the night club incident. Contrast that with the hush-hush approach to Steele Sidebottom's misdemeanours.
I would also argue there's a general culture of silence in media circles around the AFL private school boys club, which allows players off field antics to fly very much under the radar. Just my take.
The SPP night club incident coverage also had a fair bit to do with the club he plays for in this town. Guilty (and therefore plastered all over the media) before proven innocent.

So you think that the whole hotel quarantine fiasco in Victoria was not Andrews' and Mikakos' fault?

These two are so incompetent that they couldn't tell you the time in a room full of clocks, and yet they're the ones running the show down there. If they were a private enterprise both of them would have been sacked ages ago.
Having spent a lifetime in R&D I know that there are reasonable and sensible actions that fail when you approach new problems.

In fact a succession of sensible actions may fail.

We are crrently doing epidemiological R&D on the run.

The actions of Andrews et al have been sensible until now, but the long handle must now be applied to the problem.

To suggest he is responsible for the current situation is a nonsense.

I have absolutely no idea if its their fault, not being in Vic means there are a lot of filters on what we see in SA without actively digging around.

But just to be clear, I wasn't talking about what caused this outbreak, I'm talking about how the process is being managed.
Apologies if my wording was too vague.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back