Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you put yourself through reading all of this stuff when you have no power to do anything about it? It must be miserable.
Bit of a strange question on the Big Footy Forum don't you think?

Watching, reading or reporting on just the good things in life or the ones that you can directly influence seems to be a bit of a fairy tale existence. Seriously who actually does that?

As an analogy, it's a bit like the guy who claims he's a Port supporter but openly brags on BF that he refuses to be a member because things at the Club aren't to his liking. Or the fair weather supporter who whines at every loss and replays the bad bits over and over again as if they are a member of a flagellant cult - which makes up a fair chunk of Big Footy participants I reckon.

This is a covid thread. And the reality is surely that trying to understand what is happening and why in an ongoing global pandemic is going to be less than a happy experience?

Bit of a strange question on the Big Footy Forum don't you think?

Watching, reading or reporting on just the good things in life or the ones that you can directly influence seems to be a bit of a fairy tale existence. Seriously who actually does that?

As an analogy, it's a bit like the guy who claims he's a Port supporter but openly brags on BF that he refuses to be a member because things at the Club aren't to his liking. Or the fair weather supporter who whines at every loss and replays the bad bits over and over again as if they are a member of a flagellant cult - which makes up a fair chunk of Big Footy participants I reckon.

This is a covid thread. And the reality is surely that trying to understand what is happening and why in an ongoing global pandemic is going to be less than a happy experience?
Hey now! As a paid up member I have every right to spend 99% of my time whining lol

This thread

There is absolutely access to antiviral tablets in the regions, sister in law had it last month.

Have you considered the people you retweet, may not know everything either? That they say things and make exaggerations, that are also factually incorrect?

Last edited:

How pathetic to accept the status quo like that and I see the minimiser PapaG likes your post.

Because I see people behaving like it’s over.
Because it’s not over.
Because knowledge is power.
Ignoring it is not making it go away.

If I can encourage one person to take extra precautions I am happy.
Push for ventilation and hepa in all public buildings, childcare centres etc.
Educate re hepa filters for homes.
Push for more money to be put into research.
Get children outside for vit D and health, eat well.

Who are you voting for OGC? Which party wants to wind back the lifestyle to being like it was in peak covid?

Hey now! As a paid up member I have every right to spend 99% of my time whining lol
I guess I'm in no position to criticise OGC for spending too much time on something he can't change when I've been screaming sack Hinkley into the void for the past 6 years.

How pathetic to accept the status quo like that and I see the minimiser PapaG likes your post.

Because I see people behaving like it’s over.
Because it’s not over.
Because knowledge is power.
Ignoring it is not making it go away.

If I can encourage one person to take extra precautions I am happy.
Push for ventilation and hepa in all public buildings, childcare centres etc.
Educate re hepa filters for homes.
Push for more money to be put into research.
Get children outside for vit D and health, eat well.
Nobody with any sense thinks it's over. I strongly suspect it won't ever be over. The vast majority of people though are now prepared to accept the risk and go back to living normal lives, as is their right. That's not behaving as if it's over, it's just prioritising one thing over another.

Every time I get in my car and drive somewhere, it doesn't mean I think car crashes are over. I'm just prepared to accept the risk that I might end up in a car crash one day if that means I have the freedom to drive.

Absolutely.

My point is that as followers of a club that has won just 1 Premiership in its 25 year existence in the AFL, countless stumbles in finals in games and a record breaking thrashing in a Grand Final, Port supporters are hooked on the tragic side of life and events beyond their control. We want it to be better but realise there is no escaping the monumental stuff ups that continue to haunt us.

Which is why I think there is so much irony in those calling out OGC for being 'obsessed' with the downsides of covid.

Last edited:
Should dig up the old covid threads and see which posters have been basically right since the beginning and which ones were arguing for herd immunity and demanding quarantine facilities and free RATs.

Instead of admitting that the vaccines are pissweak against this variant and about as effective as a flu shot and that the hospital system should have been improved from the beginning because you can't isolate yourself from the world, we've arrived at classroom filters and masks.

And you're going to educate everyone on how things are going to be? OK.

Do something useful, like ask for vaccines that are aimed at fighting a strain that is currently hospitalising people, and ask why premiers of both parties put all their faith in the magic bullet while still overseeing a system that allows people to die while waiting for an ambulance.

Should dig up the old covid threads and see which posters have been basically right since the beginning and which ones were arguing for herd immunity and demanding quarantine facilities and free RATs.

Instead of admitting that the vaccines are pissweak against this variant and about as effective as a flu shot and that the hospital system should have been improved from the beginning because you can't isolate yourself from the world, we've arrived at classroom filters and masks.

And you're going to educate everyone on how things are going to be? OK.

Do something useful, like ask for vaccines that are aimed at fighting a strain that is currently hospitalising people, and ask why premiers of both parties put all their faith in the magic bullet while still overseeing a system that allows people to die while waiting for an ambulance.
I actually follow the research into vaccines and support it and post about it. The mucosal vaccines in particular.

You are most welcome to dig up old posts about the health system, it is a disaster and under ever more strain.
I worked in health.
It was already struggling.
Adding in the pressure of the pandemic has sent it into a downward spiral.
And while you are at it look up those who just mock and laugh and say heath system is just fine, look up those who compared covid19 to a simple flu.
I am sorry to seem on a downer.
I want it over too , it’s not over.
Some pretend it is over by denying there is an issue and just get on with their lives. We are all different.

There were people in denial in the AIDS epidemic who refused to wear condoms, practice safe sex because they wanted to live their life unhindered . Trouble is unsafe behaviours affect others. I remember well the Grim Reaper ads.

Just saying, lets do all we can to reduce spread.

You have to wonder right now, if in hindsight, authorities would go back and soften the 'vaccines will save us and end covid restrictions' messaging. They surely knew that continuing to root around with lockdowns and isolations and borders was political suicide after vax rates got real high. Go back and soften that and the public might have still been open to the occasional closure to 'circuit break' it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually follow the research into vaccines and support it and post about it. The mucosal vaccines in particular.

You are most welcome to dig up old posts about the health system, it is a disaster and under ever more strain.
I worked in health.
It was already struggling.
Adding in the pressure of the pandemic has sent it into a downward spiral.
And while you are at it look up those who just mock and laugh and say heath system is just fine, look up those who compared covid19 to a simple flu.
I am sorry to seem on a downer.
I want it over too , it’s not over.
Some pretend it is over by denying there is an issue and just get on with their lives. We are all different.

There were people in denial in the AIDS epidemic who refused to wear condoms, practice safe sex because they wanted to live their life unhindered . Trouble is unsafe behaviours affect others. I remember well the Grim Reaper ads.

Just saying, lets do all we can to reduce spread.

You supported these Premiers draconian measures every step of the way because you believed in the magic bullet, as they did.

Now that the modest influx of people needing care has eventuated, you declare the emergency not over and the bolstering of the system as a necessity.

So forgive me if I'm a little bit sick of hearing what the average person needs to do to get through this, when people are still dying waiting for care, and they still haven't done what they should have from the beginning.

The scientific understanding of what is happening with the evolution of the covid virus is ongoing and developing.

For example, as this summary ABC report outlines, the current theory is that immunity from one variant may not provide enough protection from another.

Data so far suggest the Omicron variant is better at immune escape than its predecessors. This means Omicron is "escaping" the immune memory created by SARS-CoV-2 infections from other variants such as Delta, Beta or Alpha.

Emerging data is now showing sub-variants of Omicron can also escape immunity from a previous Omicron variant. This means a person might be able to get an Omicron reinfection.

"A small, yet-to-be peer reviewed study from Denmark found that in unvaccinated people, reinfection with Omicron BA.2 is possible following a primary infection with Omicron BA.1. Despite this finding, the study also concluded reinfection rates were low and therefore rare."

"With winter approaching and case numbers climbing, we're also seeing the emergence of new sub-variants such as BA.4 and BA.5. Early evidence shows these new sub-variants are even better at escaping immune memory than the parental BA.1 Omicron."

In summary, anyone seriously suggesting they 'were right' in predicting the path of this virus and that past responses of governments acting on the prevailing health advice to protect the community 'were wrong' are only fooling themselves with their ignorance. As is almost always the case, the reality is far more complex.

Scientific understanding of the virus is developing rapidly but still playing catch-up with the rapid evolution of the virus itself.

You supported these Premiers draconian measures every step of the way because you believed in the magic bullet, as they did.

Now that the modest influx of people needing care has eventuated, you declare the emergency not over and the bolstering of the system as a necessity.

So forgive me if I'm a little bit sick of hearing what the average person needs to do to get through this, when people are still dying waiting for care, and they still haven't done what they should have from the beginning.
What should they have done from the beginning?

It is over Losers. Get the sand out of your vaginas, throw the mast away and go out and get laid!
If I throw the 'mast' away how will i get laid?

It is over Losers. Get the sand out of your vaginas, throw the mast away and go out and get laid!

I would, but my closest Bunnings in Gawler and the chicks are gross.

North Korea has reported 1.4 million cases in a week in a population of 26 million and those are just the ones that have been detected and reported. They are lucky this is not the original strain or even the Delta variant as they would have had more than 50 deaths. Of course the death toll numbers are only what Kim Jong Un chooses to tell the world it could be higher.

Kim has consistently refused vaccine from the West and even from China. It looks like the North Koreans will now pay a price for his dumb decision. I reckon North Korean might soon become the classic example of the value of vaccines.

In the meantime Kim has has busied himself arresting Government Health Officials while placing the entire country in lockdown.

You have to wonder right now, if in hindsight, authorities would go back and soften the 'vaccines will save us and end covid restrictions' messaging. They surely knew that continuing to root around with lockdowns and isolations and borders was political suicide after vax rates got real high. Go back and soften that and the public might have still been open to the occasional closure to 'circuit break' it.

It was all about dollars. Staying in lockdown mode with closed borders was all about money as it was costing business big and small heaps. If Freydenberg and Morrison wanted any chance of getting re elected they had to be seen to ease restrictions. I agree about the 'vaccines will fix it' message. Vaccines have helped but as we are about to see with North Korea, they are not the silver bullet that Governments the world over were promoting.

On the 25th July 2020, before a vaccine had been released and at the height of the lockdowns in Australia 5 people died from Covid 19 yesterday 66 people died from Covid in Australia. Opening up had to happen eventually but there has been a cost to 'living with Covid'. The potential cost was never spelt out to the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back