News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And our poor Nu Zulund bros. It must have been a blow to the ego not being able to sh*t on everyone else.

In what way Tas ?
You talking about Cindy and her smugness that NZ was covid free and the rest of the world wasn't ?
if so, carry on cause she did and its backfired on her big time. her ratings are going down the toilet as her govt didnt prepare well enough for the inevitable arrival of Delta

ps I'd rather this pandemic wasn't viewed as a competition between nations though.

Got my result - negative thankfully. Was pretty close to the positive person too for more than an hour.
Had to get tested too, this week. First time for months. My exposure was not great but I had headache and sniffles so being careful. Negative too.

Got my result - negative thankfully. Was pretty close to the positive person too for more than an hour.
Had to get tested too, this week. First time for months. My exposure was not great but I had headache and sniffles so being careful. Negative too.
great to hear you guys are both negative

GK, thank god I left that joint last year lol

"That joint" has been very lucky - not many cases at all. My contact was family, not work.
Ohhh I thought you were referring to the previous case because lucky my brother wasn’t in on that day

In what way Tas ?
You talking about Cindy and her smugness that NZ was covid free and the rest of the world wasn't ?
if so, carry on cause she did and its backfired on her big time. her ratings are going down the toilet as her govt didnt prepare well enough for the inevitable arrival of Delta

ps I'd rather this pandemic wasn't viewed as a competition between nations though.

Yeah, that is what I was referring to. I think being isolated and having a relatively low population density helped us avoid it for a long time and NZ even longer, gave plenty of time to prepare for when it finally hit and learn from the mistakes of other nations that went through it with their pants pulled down.

I agree on the second point as well. Delta variant originated in the poor region of India, Omni from Africa. We didn't treat this as a global problem, chose to do our own thing, hoard resources and we are paying the price of it. We've never been able to vaccinate our way out of a pandemic, they are usually only made to prevent future pandemics, the only realistic way you could do it is to vaccinate everyone around the world at the same time, we can't even vaccinate a rich country like Australia with a small population in a timely manner.

First covid case in my town today. Inevitable of course but went out and stocked up on soup and panadol.
We're a bit behind the national average for double vaccinations so it will hurt some communities here pretty hard, especially the Maori population.
The Maori leaders have worked their bums off recently and really got the rates up, but a fair bit of misinformation and mistrust of govt services out there making it difficult

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus some people are dumb with this. Site manager at a friend of mine’s site has been complaining that he’s got a cold and feels like s**t all last week, gets told to “go get tested”

says “nah it’s just a cold”
“Please just get tested to make sure”.
aggressively “I don’t have bloody covid ffs. I’ve been vaccinated”

Got tested on the weekend, sends a text out yesterday, “hey everyone I haven’t been feeling well so I got a covid test, came back positive.”

Now everyone on the bloody site has to get tested and isolate and obviously the site is shut down, 2 weeks before handover. Honestly what a goose.

Jesus some people are dumb with this. Site manager at a friend of mine’s site has been complaining that he’s got a cold and feels like sh*t all last week, gets told to “go get tested”

Got tested on the weekend, sends a text out yesterday, “hey everyone I haven’t been feeling well so I got a covid test, came back positive.”

Now everyone on the bloody site has to get tested and isolate and obviously the site is shut down, 2 weeks before handover. Honestly what a goose.

Selfish ***********.

Jesus some people are dumb with this. Site manager at a friend of mine’s site has been complaining that he’s got a cold and feels like sh*t all last week, gets told to “go get tested”

There are a lot of selfish campaigners out there who simply just hate being inconvenienced.

There are a lot of selfish campaigners out there who simply just hate being inconvenienced.
There are. But there are also many situations where people have to sacrifice too much in order to prevent themselves potentially spreading the virus to others.

Think a self-employed person who will lose business by isolating. Think a casual worker in states that don't provide adequate compensation. Think a bride who is getting married in a few days. Think someone who is getting evicted from their rental property in the next fortnight and is still looking for new accommodation. There are countless scenarios.

The reality is we live in a capitalist society where individual responsibility is valued. Most people will look to help out others where they can - but only to the point where it doesn't impact upon them too greatly - which is perfectly reasonable given at the end of the day they are held responsible for their own choices with basically no safety nets in place if things go wrong.

This policy is simply not sustainable going forward and goes to show just how out of touch the political and corporate classes are with ordinary people. I would also say it's very dangerous from a health perspective as it may discourage some from seeking medical advice on a range of symptoms which may be a result of COVID-19 or worse through fear of being told to isolate.

There are. But there are also many situations where people have to sacrifice too much in order to prevent themselves potentially spreading the virus to others.

Think a self-employed person who will lose business by isolating. Think a casual worker in states that don't provide adequate compensation. Think a bride who is getting married in a few days. Think someone who is getting evicted from their rental property in the next fortnight and is still looking for new accommodation. There are countless scenarios.

The reality is we live in a capitalist society where individual responsibility is valued. Most people will look to help out others where they can - but only to the point where it doesn't impact upon them too greatly - which is perfectly reasonable given at the end of the day they are held responsible for their own choices with basically no safety nets in place if things go wrong.

This policy is simply not sustainable going forward and goes to show just how out of touch the political and corporate classes are with ordinary people. I would also say it's very dangerous from a health perspective as it may discourage some from seeking medical advice on a range of symptoms which may be a result of COVID-19 or worse through fear of being told to isolate.

No argument from me there 👍

People should be extremely suspicious of colds in late November or December, especially if they wash their hands regularly, eat well and get plenty of sleep. You can get summer colds, but they are not that common.

The problem is people with allergies or hay fever, i'd have to get tested every time I go outside during the day. I don't like taking hay fever medication, it is normally just pollen that triggers it for me and it usually has to be windy for it to get to me, but when i walk to the store and i get a tissue out people look at me like I have the black plague. Relax, hay fever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back