Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made the right call with the borders, but he's also blessed to be leading one of the most isolated places in the world.

That we reviewed our quarantine procedures and policies after other states had mishaps, and an outbreak still occured, is embarrassing if not incompetent.

He's burning up a considerable amount of runs on the board he earned in 2020, in my opinion.
It's a highly infectious disease, the fact every other state has had mishaps is a sign of just how hard it is to keep it under control. I don't think 1 case in 10 months means we should fold the government.

Eh 5 days isn't the end of the world. Perth has become massively complacent from the government down to the all of us , if it ends up only being 1 case from a stuff up in the system it has least been rectified and now everyone wont be as complacent going forward.

This QR code has been a god send in a way as it had helped track where that guy went and also for the all the close contacts which has made it easier.

You've got to be kidding. I know you enjoy complaining about every step our government takes but this is just ridiculous. We have the lockdown after one case so that we don't get it spread into the community. So you think that a positive case parading around Perth is no cause for alarm and we should stay open? Give me a spell. How many community cases and deaths until it is acceptable to lockdown?
Brisbane and Adelaide locked down quickly and Melbourne took a bit longer, and imo it's impossible to say which was right in hindsight.

It's a highly infectious disease, the fact every other state has had mishaps is a sign of just how hard it is to keep it under control. I don't think 1 case in 10 months means we should fold the government.

I'm not saying that, and I think you know that.

Our state govt have had ample time to learn from the case studies of other states and implement a world best strategy for quarantine. That the security guards working on the same floor as positive Covid cases and interacting with them did not have to wear masks is a critical oversight.

That they haven't been drilled that if you get sick/show signs of being ill you must isolate immediately and report to relevant authorities is crazy.

I'm a Liberal voter who believes Mark is probably our best option in the short term, given where the Libs sit currently, but just as I've praised Mark for the past 10 months, I'm equally able to call out his faults, and there are some glaring ones with how our quarantine has been run. Especially when you consider how long we've had to get it right and that our neighbours were suffering issues we could and should have learnt from.

As someone else said, a week ago the guards didn't have to wear masks and now the whole of Perth must wear one. What a swing that has been.

For the record, I agree with the 5 day lockdown and I'm barely impacted by it, but that doesn't mean we skipped a few steps to try and avoid it.

It's a mistake and the government will cop it. The best thing would be to efficiently and effectively review how it got out and make the changes as soon as possible. They still have plenty of currency for the preceding 12 months though and the opposition has ranged from invisible to incompetent in that time.

Lockdown over one case with no actual evidence of the virus being spread to another member of the community.

Serious hotel quarantine failings that should have been stamped out after the Victorian tragedy.

Kept families and friends apart through unnecessary and purely political border closures (except Victoria and early stages of the pandemic) which has also caused significant damage to business confidence.

Poor poor poor.

Lets hope that the local media does its job for a change and actually informs the public on some of the failings we have seen.

This though is a bizarre post - acknowledging the tragedy of the Victorian second wave but at the same time dismissive of lockdown.

Brisbane and Adelaide locked down quickly and Melbourne took a bit longer, and imo it's impossible to say which was right in hindsight.

Thought the results (single digit days of lockdown vs 110, and the case and death numbers) would reflect which was the correct approach. The NSW approach might be the way to go in the future, though - it seems to have worked there but only with enormous testing numbers and rapid contact tracing.

You've got to be kidding. I know you enjoy complaining about every step our government takes but this is just ridiculous. We have the lockdown after one case so that we don't get it spread into the community. So you think that a positive case parading around Perth is no cause for alarm and we should stay open? Give me a spell. How many community cases and deaths until it is acceptable to lockdown?
There is no evidence of any community spread at all. The case has already been isolated as well as his close contacts.

He isn't parading around Perth. He wouldn't be even with no lockdown. You do not need a lockdown to test people.

There is no evidence of any community spread at all. The case has already been isolated as well as his close contacts.

He isn't parading around Perth. He wouldn't be even with no lockdown.

Do you not think the short lockdown is so that we can buy time to find out where him and his close contacts have been so the public can be aware and get tested if they were at those locations? Friday also coincides with the expected end of the incubation period where him and his contacts may test positive.

Waiting until we see cases pop up elsewhere (given we know the disease has an incubation period) is like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted - Victoria made that mistake. From memory SA and Qld only waited one or two days before their rapid lockdowns.

Waiting until we see cases pop up elsewhere (given we know the disease has an incubation period) is like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted - Victoria made that mistake. From memory SA and Qld only waited one or two days before their rapid lockdowns.
There is no evidence of any cases popping up anywhere. It is a huge leap from one isolated case with no actual evidence of spread in the community to the Victorian situation which was allowed to escalate over a period of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh 5 days isn't the end of the world. Perth has become massively complacent from the government down to the all of us , if it ends up only being 1 case from a stuff up in the system it has least been rectified and now everyone wont be as complacent going forward.

I'd be curious to know if they have daily or weekly toolbox meetings like they do in construction and mining. Complacency is a huge risk to safety and lives in those industries as you spend so long avoiding a critical injury or incident it reaches a point where it's assumed there is no danger.

This seems to ring true of quarantine. When I mentioned earlier that I'm amazed it hasn't been hammered into the guards that if you feel unwell you should isolate immediately, this is th type of thing I'm talking about. Our community is (was) safe, as the only Covid cases were in quarantine hotels. So naturally anyone interacting with that environment should have been made acutely aware of the risks and responsibilities that come with such a job, and that should be reiterated daily or weekly in toolbox meetings to keep it front of mind. Even things like doing their take 5s and addressing potential hazards and risks in their otherwise mundane daily tasks.

I'm not saying these things weren't done, but given masks weren't required, it wouldn't be a surprise to hear the meetings haven't existed, and then someone really needs to be asking why.

I'm not saying that, and I think you know that.

Our state govt have had ample time to learn from the case studies of other states and implement a world best strategy for quarantine. That the security guards working on the same floor as positive Covid cases and interacting with them did not have to wear masks is a critical oversight.

That they haven't been drilled that if you get sick/show signs of being ill you must isolate immediately and report to relevant authorities is crazy.

I'm a Liberal voter who believes Mark is probably our best option in the short term, given where the Libs sit currently, but just as I've praised Mark for the past 10 months, I'm equally able to call out his faults, and there are some glaring ones with how our quarantine has been run. Especially when you consider how long we've had to get it right and that our neighbours were suffering issues we could and should have learnt from.

As someone else said, a week ago the guards didn't have to wear masks and now the whole of Perth must wear one. What a swing that has been.

For the record, I agree with the 5 day lockdown and I'm barely impacted by it, but that doesn't mean we skipped a few steps to try and avoid it.

I don't disagree with any of this, only that in my opinion I don't think it should eat up most of the credit they deserve for how they've handled all of it thus far.

I don't disagree with any of this, only that in my opinion I don't think it should eat up most of the credit they deserve for how they've handled all of it thus far.

You know how fickle Joe Public is. Next month it'll all be about "but what have you done for me lately?"

Don't be surprised to hear that the great job this govt has done in 2020 is a lost memory replaced by the great lockdown of 2021.

I did say a considerable amount, not most, by the way, but that is open to interpretation.

You think a mask would have prevented the infection? I think that would be a reach. Reduced the risk further? Possibly. Eliminated the risk? Improbable. The system has worked well for 10 months. Why, unnecessarily make people's jobs harder if the evidence isn't there? 2 days of wearing a mask and I'm over it.

I'm entirely of the belief that the mask protocol is more about creating a trigger or signal to social distance/take the matter seriously after a long period of the population not having to think about it [/myownreach]
It’s primarily to stop you from spreading it to other people rather than a way of preventing you from getting infected. Still strange that the guards weren’t wearing them, but I agree it might not have made a difference either way.

The quick short lockdown is the absolute best approach and completely agree that Perth has just gotten too complacent about the whole thing. It was like there was no pandemic whatsoever when I went over there for Xmas. Five days of lockdown ≠ a complete failure of government.

I'd be curious to know if they have daily or weekly toolbox meetings like they do in construction and mining. Complacency is a huge risk to safety and lives in those industries as you spend so long avoiding a critical injury or incident it reaches a point where it's assumed there is no danger.

This seems to ring true of quarantine. When I mentioned earlier that I'm amazed it hasn't been hammered into the guards that if you feel unwell you should isolate immediately, this is th type of thing I'm talking about. Our community is (was) safe, as the only Covid cases were in quarantine hotels. So naturally anyone interacting with that environment should have been made acutely aware of the risks and responsibilities that come with such a job, and that should be reiterated daily or weekly in toolbox meetings to keep it front of mind. Even things like doing their take 5s and addressing potential hazards and risks in their otherwise mundane daily tasks.

I'm not saying these things weren't done, but given masks weren't required, it wouldn't be a surprise to hear the meetings haven't existed, and then someone really needs to be asking why.
The challenge is, as I see it, completely one of complacency.

We've had 10 months of no community transmission which as meant perception of risk has dropped. You have Bangladeshi students as security guards because no other *er wants the job, and they need the money, so are always likely to push boundaries in terms of coming tp work sick/ secretly having other jobs on the side etc.

Short sharp lockdown was smart to get on top of contacts, testing etc. Will also serve as a nice reminder to those both in and outside the system.

Steep learning curve for Kirkup! Don't mind the call of getting him in early if he'll still be around in 4 years, but gee they've got some ground to make up.
Could Kirkup be the big body inside lib we've been looking for?

There wouldn't be the rank political opportunism and the pathetic WA us against them parochialism that we currently have that is for sure.
Sounds like it would be more us against us.
Gotta love people who think because we have very few cases it is stupid to continue the policies that gave us very few cases in the first place

Could Kirkup be the big body inside lib we've been looking for?
I haven't seen much of him but he seems an upgrade on the last couple of Lib leaders, which isn't much of an endorsement of the rest of them when a bloke who's been in parliament 5 minutes is the best person for the job.

This QR code has been a god send in a way as it had helped track where that guy went and also for the all the close contacts which has made it easier.
I don't think it's fair to say Perth were complacent, I think it was more a case of making the most of what we had. A mix of good luck, good management and the community coming together saw use eliminate the virus locally by May 2020. We then unwound a lot of restrictions slowly over two months and were able to enjoy many of the things we could pre-virus. We still kept other controls in place that have significant impacts on people (eg quarantine for international travellers and various restrictions around domestic travel).

I'm not going to keep hiding inside if we've eliminated local transmission, given we know the vaccine gives us an end point in a few months time. I suspect this short lockdown will show that we can enjoy the freedoms we had and are able to quickly respond to get the virus under control if required. The fact the community has got behind it so quickly (how many of us have bought masks for the first time in the last 3 days?) suggests we weren't complacent and were ready to act when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back