Discussion Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost my dad a couple of years ago, just had a fight with my wife as she had moved his ashes from the main room into my shoe cupboard!! They have been moved back.

I miss the ol bastard

Thing I miss is actually spending time with him (and my kids) - we would go to the footy together both local and when Tas had a VFL team I'd take him along. He grew up in the same suburb I now live in, it used to be a real working class place with the brewery, tannery, blunstone factory when he was growing up - as my brother points out it is now full of hipsters / yuppies (which I would not classify myself as) but I do still like being here as I feel close to him...not where I grew up but where he did.

He was of Irish heritage, used to box when young, always backed the underdog (probably why I support the Saints) and always had my back. He had a heap of flaws but that's who he was.

Spend time with your ol man even if he gives you the shits at times - it ain't for ever.

That's tough Verdun. I think I'm getting sentimental as I get older. I got him a membership this year, the footy gods seem to have conspired once again. I was planning on getting him along to games now my kids won't go. Possibly lucky he didn't if he had a heart condition he didn't know about, the Saints have tested my coronary capacity at times.

When this started Trump and Fox news said it was not as bad as the influenza and had screen shots of '0 deaths caused by the Virus' your statement re there being only 30 deaths is very similar ie a world full of denial.

When did I say that? that everything is bad?? My point is that there should have been more planning, the experts should have been involved (not cut) and they should be held account.

It is also not my opinion but facts that this have but has not occured:

• Support a single, multidisciplinary, nationally focused team who will establish a collaborative network to undertake infectious disease emergency response research in the Australian health system
  • Lead a cohesive approach to priority setting for infectious disease emergency response research Conduct research in accordance with these priorities
  • Resource planning and trials

You saying you have faith in the current government is itself political do not be hypocritical.

Pretty happy Trump is not the PM.

Saying you don't trust our government because of Trump is pretty stupid.

My dad went to the Alfred on Monday with breathing difficulties. He was worried he had CV, they ran some tests on his lungs and heart and sent him home. He got sicker got an ambulance back in the middle of the night and was sent to the Cardio ward. He ended up with 2 stents after getting out yesterday morning. No-one tested him once for CV despite having symptoms. They said they couldn't afford to waste test so have extremely tight rules for giving them out. They didn't have masks for any nurses there and you could walk through the front lobby and use hand sanitiser but not anything else as a precaution to get into the ward (no one policed it). He was limited to 1 visitor a day but they let me stop in to drop stuff off despite his wife being with him. I don't know for sure that he has or had it that bought on a heart issue but I think it's pretty likely.

By the end of the week they had some bad publicity and got stricter and closed up hours for visitors. My sister in law who works in a public hospital said that this is the best time to have an issue because they are fully staffed and still waiting for the tsunami of cases coming in. He's all good now and at home recovering but it gave us a peak inside the hospital system. They are gearing up for it to hit hard at some point. We might just be in the calm before the storm.

They would be pretty good at getting the symptoms right before doing a test, hope your dad is alright.

Mine dad was there not long ago for other issues, they ended up transferring him to Latrobe hospital, then he was at his home for a week, with daily nurse visits.
They shipped him back to the Alfred 2 days ago, and he's meant to be going home tomorrow. I hope so, want him out of that place. If he gets it hes dead.

Pretty happy Trump is not the PM.

Saying you don't trust our government because of Trump is pretty stupid.

No need for such an aggressive post mate, I did not say I don't trust our government because of Trump.

I equated such a response to saying we only have so many deaths so we are ok.

I do trust our government - to a certain degree. We are allowed to discuss this are we not without gaslighting??

No need for such an aggressive post mate, I did not say I don't trust our government because of Trump.

I do trust our government - to a certain degree. We are allowed to discuss this are we not without gaslighting??

All good , if i was gaslighting i'd have three other accounts, and they would all post their opinions agreeing with me :D

I think the Government is doing well, especially considering Scott Morrisons response to the bushfires. I could argue that the steps they took should have been taken earlier, but at this point what does it matter? The economic measures they've committed to were something I didn't think the Libs would ever dream about doing.
I think this outbreak has gotten to the point where politics have taken a step back for action. Labor have been exemplary in not picking holes in everything the Government has been doing, and I think Labor asking for the modelling to be released publicly is a great move.

Out of all the Western countries, I think we're going to end up the best off. USA has been a disaster, I'm so glad we're not following their lead. I like Trump, but he is not the person that should be in charge while dealing with this.

I think the Government is doing well, especially considering Scott Morrisons response to the bushfires. I could argue that the steps they took should have been taken earlier, but at this point what does it matter? The economic measures they've committed to were something I didn't think the Libs would ever dream about doing.
I think this outbreak has gotten to the point where politics have taken a step back for action. Labor have been exemplary in not picking holes in everything the Government has been doing, and I think Labor asking for the modelling to be released publicly is a great move.

Out of all the Western countries, I think we're going to end up the best off. USA has been a disaster, I'm so glad we're not following their lead. I like Trump, but he is not the person that should be in charge while dealing with this.

Was sounding like a reasonable post until i read 'I like Trump'. ;)

Seems to me we are doing well. I can see things improving soon, footy starting this year and domestic tourism resuming. Int'l borders closed until we have some sort of treatment. Well done Scomo.

To be straight. We won't be back at the footy until there is a vaccine.

If that takes 18 months there will be no crowds at footy until 2022. May be footy, but zero crowds.

Disagree completely. If we keep borders closed virus looks like it will be wiped out domestically pretty easily.

They would be pretty good at getting the symptoms right before doing a test, hope your dad is alright.

Mine dad was there not long ago for other issues, they ended up transferring him to Latrobe hospital, then he was at his home for a week, with daily nurse visits.
They shipped him back to the Alfred 2 days ago, and he's meant to be going home tomorrow. I hope so, want him out of that place. If he gets it hes dead.

The cardio seemed to be okay. It's a disaster getting it in the cancer ward like they have. They seem to have picked up the pace and the staff were excellent to us. It actually made me feel lucky to be an Aussie. We still have an unbelievable health system. Latrobe is a very good regional hospital and a long way from the hotspots. Hope he gets home soon. I feel like I'm covered in virus going into hospitals now. It makes it stressful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im back to work on Monday after 2 weeks' leave. I'm interested to see how it goes

Sweden had 50 Covid19 related deaths yesterday. That's a death rate of 35/1,000,000 as compared to Australia's less than 1/1,000,000. They did implement physical distancing, ban gatherings of 50 or more, and encouraged people to work from home. But they have not put official restrictions on movement. It seems like they are gambling on protecting the economy first, and the medical system second. They have placed great trust in the populace to voluntarily do the right thing to prevent the spread of the virus.

Their smaller neighbours, Denmark and Norway, took a different approach by going into early lock down. It will be fascinating to see what the data is like across those 3 countries in the next few weeks.

View attachment 852229

I think it is fair to say though the response in Sweden is tightening. They have just advised against non-essential travel to every country. I'll bet my bottom dollar that if the numbers continue to climb closed borders will follow, and a stay at home instruction will follow in some form.

A mortality rate of 0.0035% compared to 0.001%

I don't know, are people believing the economy will just snap back into place in say 6 months or even 3 months? I'm curious to know, because that's just not reality.

The peak unemployment rate during the Great Depression was 30%, we currently sit at 40% and rising. The stimulus package as enormous as it is, is a band aid, not a magic wand.

I don't think people appreciate what's coming. Many people that are now middle class will be homeless and may even go hungry.

I don't know, are people believing the economy will just snap back into place in say 6 months or even 3 months? I'm curious to know, because that's just not reality.

The peak unemployment rate during the Great Depression was 30%, we currently sit at 40% and rising. The stimulus package as enormous as it is, is a band aid, not a magic wand.

I don't think people appreciate what's coming. Many people that are now middle class will be homeless and may even go hungry.
Really? Do you know the depression went on so long?
40% unemployment

They can print all the money they like, but it won't be worth anything.

I get what you're saying, but it isn't that simple. And it's not going to lead to hyperinflation like you think it would. Under normal circumstances, maybe... But this isn't normal circumstances.
It's not something to fear right now, we're not going to become Zimbabwe 2.

Are we really at 40% unemployment. Is that fact.

Disagree completely. If we keep borders closed virus looks like it will be wiped out domestically pretty easily.
Probably won't get completely wiped out and if just 1 person that has it goes to the footy they can infect 1,000 that then go back home all over Australia and it all starts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back