COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

It's disappointing that aged care homes seem to be falling well short of the mark when it comes to safety and quality care for our elderly. In the late 1990s I was faced with the unpleasant task of placing my mother in an age care facility.

I was disappointed in the level of care my mother was receiving, I swapped her from place to place, but was never satisfied by any of them. I was doing all her washing and providing some of her favourite meals. I began to do some research into each facility and found many of them only had the one qualified nurse (who obviously couldn't work 24/7), and found a few that didn't have a single registered nurse on their pay roll. Many of the staff were volunteers whose hearts were in the right place but they were unskilled.

It was around this time that there was an investigation into aged care homes, many of which fell well short of levels which were considered acceptable. I remember the current affairs programs were hot on the subject at the time. Unfortunately, I lost my mother not long afterwards so I never followed up on the investigation, but rested assured that things were going to change.

Here we are, more than 20 years later, and we still don't appear to have appropriate standards for these places. Doesn't put my mind at ease for if/when I may need one in future.

It's disappointing that aged care homes seem to be falling well short of the mark when it comes to safety and quality care for our elderly. In the late 1990s I was faced with the unpleasant task of placing my mother in an age care facility.

I was disappointed in the level of care my mother was receiving, I swapped her from place to place, but was never satisfied by any of them. I was doing all her washing and providing some of her favourite meals. I began to do some research into each facility and found many of them only had the one qualified nurse (who obviously couldn't work 24/7), and found a few that didn't have a single registered nurse on their pay roll. Many of the staff were volunteers whose hearts were in the right place but they were unskilled.

It was around this time that there was an investigation into aged care homes, many of which fell well short of levels which were considered acceptable. I remember the current affairs programs were hot on the subject at the time. Unfortunately, I lost my mother not long afterwards so I never followed up on the investigation, but rested assured that things were going to change.

Here we are, more than 20 years later, and we still don't appear to have appropriate standards for these places. Doesn't put my mind at ease for if/when I may need one in future.
Your personal experience there is quite common , unfortunately .

One of our major outbreaks here Epping Gardens I had quite a few clients at when it first opened .
Looks lovely . But all my clients and there families would tell me how under resourced it was and how staff even though friendly and with great intentions were simple not experienced or qualified.

The owner/owners would rock up once a month normally in a different high end sports car , have a quick glance around ajd move on .

Its a very sad state of affairs

Nice to see our Premier telling bald-faced lies to parliament. Nice work Dan.

Of all the things they could question him on they chose availability of the ADF as their gotcha question?

It’s an interesting one because from what I can gather it’s only now that they are arriving in WA

Maybe they are finally taking control of the quarantine like they are supposed to or god forbid working together

Hey thought I would just put this and probably wouldn't have only it does have a football angle to it.
Yesterday Frank Knight past away from covid, Frank wasn't in good health prior to contracting the virus, he was in a nursing home after having both legs amputated due to being diabetic. At a guesstimate Frank would have been in his early to mid 80's, he was my mum's uncle and the last of eleven brothers and sisters.
The football angle was that for many years from what I can remember Frank was a trainer at the Bulldogs during the early 80s maybe earlier and for how long I don't really remember. One of the highlights if there were any about going to the Western oval back in the day when the Hawks played there was that for a while there post match both teams would get together and have a bit of a BBQ and a drink before setting off back to Linda crescent. Frank would get my mother and my brother and I to come down to the rooms to hang with the players, a bit of a thrill when you were young. He had a bit of clout with the BBQ as he ran a couple of Gilbertson butchers shops that supplied the BBQ.
RIP Frank.

Frank would get my mother and my brother and I to come down to the rooms to hang with the players, a bit of a thrill when you were young. He had a bit of clout with the BBQ as he ran a couple of Gilbertson butchers shops that supplied the BBQ.
RIP Frank.

Those BBQs in the trainers' room were fantastic. Great atmosphere, mainly a large tub of sausages the times I was there :)

I’m guessing you’ve got no family in age care centres, or who are dependent.

What percentage of death in the elderly should we just accept do you think?

View attachment 929779

What % of death via suicides, other medical treatments being de prioritized and poverty/economic hardship are YOU prepared to accept? Its a MUCH higher figure. You are happy to ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands of young professionals / small business owners for elderly aged care residents near the end of their lives, and who you can STILL isolate and protect lockdown or not?

This whole situation is messed up. This is not a Pandemic. People compare this to the Spanish Flu, did the Spanish Flu have a whole state full of empty or 90% empty hospitals? ICU beds are at 10% capacity. The cost to our economy has been 1 billion dollars per covid death, and 80% of those deaths are 70+ with existing health problems. We have THE harshest lockdown laws presently in the world (and since this whole pandemic started), second only to china who welded apartment doors shut. How long are we going to keep this up for? Elimination is not a viable strategy.

The initial figures that listed Covid as having roughly a 3% death rate have been absolutely rubbished by new data. The rate of Asymptomatic cases is much higher than initially thought. The figures simply do not support this madness any more.

Everything in life comes with risk, and right now despite media fear mongering at a level Joseph Goebells would be proud off, the risk of Covid 19 killing you if you are a healthy person is so incredibly low that it is mind boggling that we are in this situation. We need to open up and accept the burdon of risk onto the individual. If YOU are nervous, in fear or have other Co-Morbidity, YOU isolate. Tell your kids or friends not to visit you, and allocate funding to these people if necessary to support them. Locking up Millions of healthy people to protect ta few aged care residents is absolute madness. Get the healthy "strategically" exposed to the virus, and if ICU levels actually do become critical (something that they NEVER have), tighten up temporarily, then repeat. Build some herd immunity which in time protect the more vulnerable anyway. Instead we lockdown based on "Cases". So many people test positive that barely show cold symptoms. So what exactly is a "case?". Don't get me started on reported testing accuracy either.

Btw before im asked, I am not a doctor. But this is the opinion of SO many, yet they are treated like quacks, mainstream news wont touch them, silicone valley will censor and de-platform them, leaving it to government "experts" to have total control over it.

Concerning times indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What % of death via suicides, other medical treatments being de prioritized and poverty/economic hardship are YOU prepared to accept? Its a MUCH higher figure. You are happy to ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands of young professionals / small business owners for elderly aged care residents near the end of their lives, and who you can STILL isolate and protect lockdown or not?

This whole situation is messed up. This is not a Pandemic. People compare this to the Spanish Flu, did the Spanish Flu have a whole state full of empty or 90% empty hospitals? ICU beds are at 10% capacity. The cost to our economy has been 1 billion dollars per covid death, and 80% of those deaths are 70+ with existing health problems. We have THE harshest lockdown laws presently in the world (and since this whole pandemic started), second only to china who welded apartment doors shut. How long are we going to keep this up for? Elimination is not a viable strategy.

The initial figures that listed Covid as having roughly a 3% death rate have been absolutely rubbished by new data. The rate of Asymptomatic cases is much higher than initially thought. The figures simply do not support this madness any more.

Everything in life comes with risk, and right now despite media fear mongering at a level Joseph Goebells would be proud off, the risk of Covid 19 killing you if you are a healthy person is so incredibly low that it is mind boggling that we are in this situation. We need to open up and accept the burdon of risk onto the individual. If YOU are nervous, in fear or have other Co-Morbidity, YOU isolate. Tell your kids or friends not to visit you, and allocate funding to these people if necessary to support them. Locking up Millions of healthy people to protect ta few aged care residents is absolute madness. Get the healthy "strategically" exposed to the virus, and if ICU levels actually do become critical (something that they NEVER have), tighten up temporarily, then repeat. Build some herd immunity which in time protect the more vulnerable anyway. Instead we lockdown based on "Cases". So many people test positive that barely show cold symptoms. So what exactly is a "case?". Don't get me started on reported testing accuracy either.

Btw before im asked, I am not a doctor. But this is the opinion of SO many, yet they are treated like quacks, mainstream news wont touch them, silicone valley will censor and de-platform them, leaving it to government "experts" to have total control over it.

Concerning times indeed.
You should’ve started your post with “I’m not a doctor”.

Secondly, you should post some verified data to back up your statement regarding suicide and it’s link to lockdown.

Thirdly, I hope no one in your family gets Covid.

Secondly, you should post some verified data to back up your statement regarding suicide and it’s link to lockdown.

Or start a thread for the alarmist so they can feed off each other's fear.

Or start a thread for the alarmist so they can feed off each other's fear.
Yeah, fancy caring enough about people to not be ok with the needless deaths of thousands of them from a highly contagious disease.

What “alarmists”. 😂

Good to see that Stage 4 is really driving new case numbers down.

Looks like Stage 3 flattened the curve and masks started reducing it slightly but in the last few days we've seen a real downward trend start to appear

Fingers crossed this continues

Irrelivant that I am not a doctor. I read medical journals, studies and form opinions based on what credible people have said or written. Its called critical thinking. You should start every post on the Hawthorn/bigfooty board with "I am not an AFL Player".

Secondly. There is plenty of data about this. Go find it. Ill tell you where it is. Everywhere but mainstream news and information feeds.

Thirdly, one of them already has. My 72 year old uncle who works as a physician in the USA, and my Aunty. It took them 3 weeks to get his positive test back, and his Symptoms included a 3 day runny nose. If your offended by my views, boy you'd love to hear his.

Looks like Stage 3 flattened the curve and masks started reducing it slightly but in the last few days we've seen a real downward trend start to appear

There's some very positive things in the data

10% less active cases over the last week in Victoria

Really good to see Colac-Otway now down to 39 active cases (was about 100 at the peak).

Lots of LGAs have been slowly dropping every day.

This is a great site to track how LGAs have been moving over the last few months or postcodes recently

City of Yarra doing particularly well:

Good old postcode 3122 doesn't have that many cases, but the trend is upwards:

Would really like to find out what the daily death toll for illness was the last few years and then also broken down into age brackets. This will go along way to help me understand the predicament we currently live in.

Interesting point about how they count deaths by Corona Virus.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer has explained the practice, which is a standard set by the Commonwealth National Surveillance Committee and consistent across the country. “Anyone who’s a confirmed case who dies is classified amongst the deaths, so it doesn’t have to be definitely from coronavirus,” he said. “In some instances, you know in aged care, there would have been some residents who were already receiving palliative care who became infected with coronavirus”.

Makes you think maybe the next breakdown for deaths by coronavirus might include
People who died with underlying medical problems.
People who died who didn't have underlying medical problems.

And as an aside...

Victoria Police confirming they want to use ADF drones to watch people over Easter to monitor places where people would have congregated. ADF rejected the request and Vic Pol says they made do without. No more requests since then.

That just scares me, that our government were prepared to use the ADF to spy on people and at the same time refuse to use them to protect the people.

Ah well with the exception of Aged Care and Medical workers the numbers are on a downward trajectory which is good. Just looking at the Covidlive website they've gone from 3/8ths of Covid Active cases to 3/7ths which is very concerning.

I'm watching the numbers closely

Waiting for my family (wife and 3kids including a newborn) to come join me in Singapore

As it stands they need to serve 14 days quarantine in a Government designated facility....at $2,200 a pop!

If the numbers come down, the Government may allow them to serve that quarantine period at our house instead. Fingers crossed.

I'm watching the numbers closely

Waiting for my family (wife and 3kids including a newborn) to come join me in Singapore

As it stands they need to serve 14 days quarantine in a Government designated facility....at $2,200 a pop!

If the numbers come down, the Government may allow them to serve that quarantine period at our house instead. Fingers crossed.

So many LGAs showing Green which is just what you want to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back