Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious to reflect what fate delivered …

Two and a half years ago a large portion of the membership base were pushing for an EGM to turf out the board and burn the joint to the ground.

If those members could know what success the coaching panel appointed by that board would bring, do you reckon those members would give a rat’s clacker that Bridie O’Donnell was a Western Bulldogs loving AFLW supporter who hadn’t met the minimum membership requirements to join the board?
Soz for the late reply,

Hindsight.

Buckley won coach of the year during his time, a Brownlow, a Norm Smith, and multiple B&F's as captain. He came agonisingly close to the ultimate as both.

His bond and care for the club was put on display during his classy exit, and his response to #16.

As an important part of the club's history Nathan should be respected and embraced accordingly.

This is the Fly method and the way. :thumbsu::rainbow:
Buckley was an unknown and untried quantity as a senior coach and the move should never of been allowed. We had a sound team that should of won another premiership. Buckley coached on stats and did not win the hearts and minds. It was his way or the highway. Worst of all we waisted over 10 years. Craig McRae was the coach we needed and finaly received.

That’s a lot of words that doesn’t refute my point that if the voting members had known Fly (appointed by Korda’s board) would bring us such success they wouldn’t have given a rats clacker about any of the other stuff.

And the EGM folks had as much to do with Fly’s appointment as the 19th man has over a win - yeah, they’re loud and make a noise in the stands, but they’re not the ones doing any of the hard work or making the tough calls.

And you can try to taint Korda’s board as somehow being associated with Ed - and yet we still have three of Ed’s board members on Browne’s board? And that’s somehow OK? Again, the world looks a lot different when you’re winning.

The EGM folks were played. They were used to get Browne into the President’s chair. Ask Frances Galbally after a few beers about it some

I respectfully disagree with your top paragraph. "The other stuff" was endemic to what was wrong with the joint (ie. it was Eddie-esque to try and shoehorn an ineligible mate onto the board and then an ineligible sports-person who wanted to do a lot of stuff for the club other than didn't include men's footy). The Sliding Doors timeline where we are exactly here now with Korda, Wilson and Bridie are on the Board and we are where we are still today is impossible to imagine (for me and many others anyway!).

FYI, I had a long conversation with Francis in the week after the Granny through a chance meeting and he was very appreciative of the EGM crew's efforts. He views everyone involved as a collective who simply saw the need for a refresh and ultimately a meaningful vote on who leads us. It was never a self-interested power play. He put his balls on the line. Imagine turning up to games if his push lost!

Also, you seem to paint a picture like Browne was anxious to get "the President's chair", like it was some sort of unfulfilled lifelong dream and he wanted better seats and a free dinner at the President's Club. But the reality is that he never even sat on the Board and was happy in retirement. He was just a fan who saw the dire need for change and had the business nous and clout to actually do something about it.

I also had a conversation two weeks ago with Mark Korda and Luke Ball about the coaching appointment. Luke said he had a teeny tiny amount to do with it (whether he was just being humble or not I don't know). Talked up Mark Anderson in this regard which came as a surprise to me, as Sir Graham Wright seems to get credit for everything that turns out well. Said they looked at 90+ candidates. Existing, AFL assistants and every state league. Nobody can begrudge them of the quality of due diligence that they put into Fly's appointment and the criminally underrated Wade appointment. Would it have happened with that rigour if everyone sat on their hands post-Bridie? Dunno about that! I've seen enough time travel flicks for that to be an extreme improbability... :tonguewink:

I respectfully disagree with your top paragraph. "The other stuff" was endemic to what was wrong with the joint (ie. it was Eddie-esque to try and shoehorn an ineligible mate onto the board and then an ineligible sports-person who wanted to do a lot of stuff for the club other than didn't include men's footy). The Sliding Doors timeline where we are exactly here now with Korda, Wilson and Bridie are on the Board and we are where we are still today is impossible to imagine (for me and many others anyway!).

FYI, I had a long conversation with Francis in the week after the Granny through a chance meeting and he was very appreciative of the EGM crew's efforts. He views everyone involved as a collective who simply saw the need for a refresh and ultimately a meaningful vote on who leads us. It was never a self-interested power play. He put his balls on the line. Imagine turning up to games if his push lost!

Also, you seem to paint a picture like Browne was anxious to get "the President's chair", like it was some sort of unfulfilled lifelong dream and he wanted better seats and a free dinner at the President's Club. But the reality is that he never even sat on the Board and was happy in retirement. He was just a fan who saw the dire need for change and had the business nous and clout to actually do something about it.

I also had a conversation two weeks ago with Mark Korda and Luke Ball about the coaching appointment. Luke said he had a teeny tiny amount to do with it (whether he was just being humble or not I don't know). Talked up Mark Anderson in this regard which came as a surprise to me, as Sir Graham Wright seems to get credit for everything that turns out well. Said they looked at 90+ candidates. Existing, AFL assistants and every state league. Nobody can begrudge them of the quality of due diligence that they put into Fly's appointment and the criminally underrated Wade appointment. Would it have happened with that rigour if everyone sat on their hands post-Bridie? Dunno about that! I've seen enough time travel flicks for that to be an extreme improbability... :tonguewink:
Quality post, FJ. Well argued and well written.
I think I have written before that I was sceptical and a little apprehensive with the Browne ascention to President, however, I have seen evidence of the work he has done behind the scenes, without fanfare or accolades, that has massively contributed to the cultural change at Collingwood. It is clear that there has been a paradigm shift in the thinking and attitude at Collingwood resulting in many successful appointments and outcomes. And, I agree, Wade's appointment has been perhaps the most underrated appointment in the AFL in the past two seasons! I can't say I was acutely aware of the due diligence process that the club went through in the search for a new head coach, but I am not surprised with what you have stated. It only affirms the professionalism and pragmatic way we now go about business. Our club's future is very bright indeed, and I am confident that on-field success will continue. Long may it reign.

It was Holgate who ran the board recruitment process that appointed O’Donnell and Wilson - and yet she’s still on the board?

If people want to go on the moral high ground about governance - fair enough - but why aren’t they still objecting to Holgate still being on the board?

Of course, a superior needs to take responsibility for the acts of their subordinates - but Holgate is not some lowly junior in accounts who accidentally screwed up - she’s a board member and Corps Act makes it pretty clear what the responsibilities of her and the others are.

We’d already had a refresh.

Let’s not forget that many were critical of Browne for being too close to Ed and people wanted a clean cut of all things Ed …

… but people like you wanted to assure us that Browne was his own man.

Fair enough.

But why would you give Browne the benefit of the doubt of being his own man, but not Korda?

Back then we had 5/7 of Ed’s board running the club (+ CEO)

After the 2021 AGM we had 4/7 of Ed’s board running the club (+ CEO)

Today we have 3/7 of Ed’s board still running the club - and I don’t see people complaining about needing a refresh now?

I think we need to agree to disagree on all that.

IMO he’s been provided with opportunities over the last few years to demonstrate that his motives are pure and that he is truly working for the best interests of the club rather than himself - and IMO he’s fluffed those opportunities every time.

You’re framing it like there was some cabal who screwed up the board appointments, they got busted by Scooby-do & co …

… so they were made to ensure they did things ‘properly’ for the Senior Coach appointment.

It was nothing of the sort.

Board appointments were overseen by Holgate.

The Senior Coach appointment was overseen by two other board members (Murphy and Licuria) together with the CEO (Anderson), the Footy Boss (Wright) and Ball was added later.

Do you really think Korda aka ‘The puppet master’ was pulling the strings instructing his underling Holgate to go rogue? But his other underlings Murphy, Lica and Anderson to do things properly?

IMO he’s been provided with opportunities over the last few years to demonstrate that his motives are pure and that he is truly working for the best interests of the club rather than himself - and IMO he’s fluffed those opportunities every time
What opportunities has he fluffed if you don’t mind me asking ?

Buckley was an unknown and untried quantity as a senior coach and the move should never of been allowed. We had a sound team that should of won another premiership. Buckley coached on stats and did not win the hearts and minds. It was his way or the highway. Worst of all we waisted over 10 years. Craig McRae was the coach we needed and finaly received.
Malthouse failed in 2011, Not Buckley.

What opportunities has he fluffed if you don’t mind me asking ?

You know how Fly takes every opportunity to direct attention away from himself? Looking for every opportunity to credit his assistants and others? Treating everybody with respect, listening intently to their questions and giving thoughtful responses that aren’t simply some nuffy “rah rah rah, we’re the best” fanboi rubbish?

Yeah, well Browne (having met him) is not like Fly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know how Fly takes every opportunity to direct attention away from himself? Looking for every opportunity to credit his assistants and others? Treating everybody with respect, listening intently to their questions and giving thoughtful responses that aren’t simply some nuffy “rah rah rah, we’re the best” fanboi rubbish?

Yeah, well Browne (having met him) is not like Fly
Are there any public examples of this during his tenure as the president or is this just your personal experience from having met him?

Not disagreeing with you btw he just curious.

Harsh.

Fly was also an untried senior coach until the pies gave him a shot.

The Buckley discussion would be different if 2018 saw the club win a flag; he was recognised as AFLCA coach of the year in the same season.

I agree that he stayed in the job a couple of years too long.

Harsh.

Fly was also an untried senior coach until the pies gave him a shot.

The Buckley discussion would be different if 2018 saw the club win a flag; he was recognised as AFLCA coach of the year in the same season.

I agree that he stayed in the job a couple of years too long.
Exactly, Fly and our team could just as easily have lost in that last 2 or so minutes. 1 bad umpiring decision is all it would have taken.

Are there any public examples of this during his tenure as the president or is this just your personal experience from having met him?

Not disagreeing with you btw he just curious.
Before his tenure, I remember the Grace Darling meeting leading up to the election to be pretty cringe.

Actually let's call it what it was, bloody shit. It so reminded me of US President ticker tape brigade, kissing babies, hail to chief saying nothing event.

It’s not really relevant to the post pie eyed is quoting nor does it justify Buckley’s coaching tenure.
Absolutely relevant regards to the side we had when he took over.
The Buckley side which missed out by a shit umpiring decision against West Coke was a different team to the one he took over.
Malthouse failed to win a flag with the team he took over.
It could be argued that Malthouse would have no flag with the Pies if he did not know Buckley was taking over in 2012.

Absolutely relevant regards to the side we had when he took over.
The Buckley side which missed out by a s**t umpiring decision against West Coke was a different team to the one he took over.
Malthouse failed to win a flag with the team he took over.
It could be argued that Malthouse would have no flag with the Pies if he did not know Buckley was taking over in 2012.
You can argue anything if you make up a hypothetical situation to suit your agenda. It could be argued Malthouse was unlucky not to win 4 premierships whilst Buckley was extremely lucky to make a GF appearance.

In reality though Malthouse won a premiership, Buckley didn’t.

Finishing top 2 in an elite competition is a successful year.
We discussing 'a win', not success.

Improving several spots on the leader can be called successful but losing a grand final is not a win.

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back