Oppo Camp Creepy Crowley, sledges & other taggers

Remove this Banner Ad

Which alludes to me of course.

You don't think he would improve our team? You'd rather lose with nice guys, than win with "bad" guys who the umps don't consider doing the wrong thing?

Don't be so sensitive - you're just one of them.

I don't know if I'd have him in my team. If the umpires are directed to focus on cleaning up his sort of tactics (and didn't he send the new umpires boss a nice challenge by way of this crap article) he'll be less effective and might even struggle to get a game for Freo at the business end. Pay a free kick against him every time he does it and he becomes a liability. Still a bitch too, but maybe less pinchy and scraggy.

I absolutely hate they way Crowley goes about it and I can't stand his smug head. He's a limited footballer who's managed to make a career out of cheating to beat his man. Pinching, scraping, holding off the ball, starting wrestles with his man just to stop them impacting the game, It really annoys me that he gets away with it when everyone in the stadium and watching at home can see what he's doing.
Dirty bitch of a player.

I absolutely hate they way Crowley goes about it and I can't stand his smug head. He's a limited footballer who's managed to make a career out of cheating to beat his man. Pinching, scraping, holding off the ball, starting wrestles with his man just to stop them impacting the game, It really annoys me that he gets away with it when everyone in the stadium and watching at home can see what he's doing.
Dirty bitch of a player.

Was a chuckle though watching the air deflate from the ego in that last q of the GF when he realised that negative s**t cant win you a game off your own boot like other champions.

Bring on Rd 6 the little ....

kenny-powers-o.gif

Haha Ryan Crowley. No Syd will even recognise that name in three years time.

He's a plodder from a s**t team having their once every 15 years pretend at being relevant.

Playing for Fremantle means he has no chance of ever winning a flag. Playing for a Ross Lyon coached Fremantle means he shouldn't even think about winning a flag.

Ryan Crowley's greatest ever footy achievement is being on the same field as an actual champion like Boomer.

Also, LOL at Freo moving to Cockburn.

Essendon got rolled by a bunch of grandmas in the bowls club.

Freo got rolled by a bunch of tea cosy on the head wearing Tim Wintonesque WA lefty flogs who have Sea Sheperd direct debits, not footy memberships.

Get ****ed Freo and go back to the WAFL where you belong.

I used to like them but then they let Josh Gibson win a flag.

Cull Freo.

There are too many teams in WA as it is.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I'd be lying if I didn't say that I haven't looked at when we're playing them," Crowley said.

"I'd like another chance at him and I wasn't disappointed when he said he was going around again."

The 30-year-old defender claims what happened on the field with Harvey, should have stayed on the field.

"It was unfortunate that came out," Crowley said.

"I've got my thoughts on how it got played out and I've got to move on, but I am looking forward to playing them again, that's for sure."

Im glad we are so important to him, because he sure is nothing to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 30-year-old defender claims what happened on the field with Harvey, should have stayed on the field.

"It was unfortunate that came out," Crowley said.

Maybe it's just me, but IMO thieves deserve no honour. He is not worthy of the code of silence before the tribunal.

Crowley reaps what he sows afaic. Snide crap against the spirit of the game is in no way honourable. The fact he resorts to such in order to quell better players (and people) than him is a blight on the game, and typical of a Ross Lyon coached team. I hope he's run over by a runaway Jack Ziebell truck, with it's wheels firmly planted on the ground, in round 6. It's time for The Meat Grinder to make some friggin mince meat of this twat!

Is this was others said about Brady Rawlings in his prime tagging years?

Brady was a brilliant tagger. When he tagged you, his presence was just constant. No matter what you - or your teammates - did to rough him up and throw him off his game, his attention to his man was absolute. He was completely suffocating and that of itself got inside opponent's heads. Ling was superb at this as well. Simmo too, before he became more of a ball player (I reckon FIGJAM must still get cold sweats whenever Simmo's name is mentioned). Then, when they had you completely frazzled, he'd start beating you to the ball and getting more of it, exacerbating the shame spiral. A great tagger makes your life a misery, but the worst thing is you know they've beaten you fair and square.

What he didn't do was resort to the kind of bullshit Crowley does. Crowley goes that step further, a la Stevie Baker (a name all but forgotten except in "who was the most s**t tagger" discussions). Rawlings, Ling and co knew where the line was. Crowley doesn't, or knows and doesn't care. The saddest thing about Crowley is, contrary to others here, I reckon he is a pretty good player and could be a bloody good tagger without engaging in all the bullshit.

I have no problem with blokes whose job it is to defend rather than win the ball. In fact, we have a bunch of them in the back line. I have a problem when they want to be dirty pricks about it all day. I didn't like Thommo when that was his tactic rather than defend properly. I don't like it when Freo's defenders (all of them, but Dawson is the worst) rely on pushing the opposing forward under the footy rather than legitimately contesting the mark. And I don't like it when soft utensil umps let them get away with it all day long, no matter how blatant.

I am disappointed that our mids allow Crowley to do what he does to Boomer and am disappointed that Boomer doesn't control his reactions, the way you get the opponent to do what you don't want them to do is make it obvious what they do puts you off your game.

As a tagger, he is focused on the player, not the ball, not the other players around him. If Pickett was in our side he would line Crowley up from half an oval away and take him out with a legitimate hip and shoulder. If you don't see the hit coming and you are not braced for it, it is going to hurt.

This is a bit of what shits me about our side being too nice about how we play our footy. If I was coach I would alternate between Ziebell, Cunnington and Greenwood as spare midfielder who is pushed to a flank position (when outside of the normal rotation) with the instruction that Boomer runs to position and you run to take out Crowley at stoppages. Legally.

At some point he is going to be either off the field concussed or more worried about who is coming at him off the line to be able to put all of his focus on just watching Boomer.

I don't like the whining to the umpire about him pinching you, even if it is a dog act for him to do s**t like that, coming off as a whiny bitch isn't the way to beat someone like him.

I agree with all of your post, Tas, especially re: dealing with taggers (legally) - or at least if we are going to take the tagger out of the play by playing Boomer in a different position, eg the forward line, then we need to make it more effective. Scott tried that against Freo last time but all that happened was Boomer ended up in no man's land most of the time, rendering him useless (which is the point of tagging in the first place). We need better tactics for that approach. The thing that makes Crowley difficult is his size, you can't just take him back to the goalsquare as he is so much taller and strong enough to handle Harvey down there (NTTAWWT). Which leads us back to belting the suitcase out of him (legally) all day long.

I don't like the whining to the umpire about him pinching you, even if it is a dog act for him to do s**t like that, coming off as a whiny bitch isn't the way to beat someone like him.

On that, I kinda agree, but there is something to be said for complaining to the umps up to a point - sometimes it gets the umps focussed on what is happening and a few frees will be paid (which makes the s**t stop pretty damn quick), but if that doesn't work quickly then there is no point continually whining to them, or even worse playing for frees cos that never ever works (if you wear royal blue and white, at least).

I agree with all of your post, Tas, especially re: dealing with taggers (legally) - or at least if we are going to take the tagger out of the play by playing Boomer in a different position, eg the forward line, then we need to make it more effective. Scott tried that against Freo last time but all that happened was Boomer ended up in no man's land most of the time, rendering him useless (which is the point of tagging in the first place). We need better tactics for that approach. The thing that makes Crowley difficult is his size, you can't just take him back to the goalsquare as he is so much taller and strong enough to handle Harvey down there (NTTAWWT). Which leads us back to belting the suitcase out of him (legally) all day long.

I rather Boomer be statless sitting deep in the forward pocket than be semi-statless in the midfield. The problem with Boomer is if he doesn't get the ball on the outside he isn't contributing a lot in terms of tackles or 1%ers. I'd rather Wells be in the middle and getting tagged because he at least has the frame to do something on the inside.

Fremantle in 2013 was a perfect storm of crap really, it was on the road... it rained... two huge negatives for us last year and on top of that we didn't have Ziebell or Cunnington and Swallow was on one-leg at that point in time. Despite that we were very competitive on the inside stats but we lacked the polish on the offensive, we allowed them a relatively open forward line and we congested our own and it was pretty much the difference. Next time we play them we will field a much stronger side, hopefully.

It is how we handle conditions which will dictate how we go, we need to do better on the road and better in less than perfect conditions.

On that, I kinda agree, but there is something to be said for complaining to the umps up to a point - sometimes it gets the umps focussed on what is happening and a few frees will be paid (which makes the s**t stop pretty damn quick), but if that doesn't work quickly then there is no point continually whining to them, or even worse playing for frees cos that never ever works (if you wear royal blue and white, at least).

I'm a firm believer in what happens on the field stays on the field. Pinching is annoying, but you can make it stop by using that as motivation to perform better. If you play like a donkey while the opposition does annoying things to you then they are going to assume those annoying things put you off your game.

It is important you are able to rise to another level when you want players to stop doing annoying s**t to you, it is the only defense. He is now motivated to have another crack at Boomer, he is going to be more annoying than ever. He has just empowered him, for what gain?

I'm a firm believer in what happens on the field stays on the field. Pinching is annoying, but you can make it stop by using that as motivation to perform better. If you play like a donkey while the opposition does annoying things to you then they are going to assume those annoying things put you off your game.

It is important you are able to rise to another level when you want players to stop doing annoying s**t to you, it is the only defense. He is now motivated to have another crack at Boomer, he is going to be more annoying than ever. He has just empowered him, for what gain?

I get what you're saying, but just so I'm clear, what I'm saying is complain to the umps while you're out there but don't make a song and dance about it and definitely don't let the situation get to you. If the umps back you and give you some protection, the complaint was worth it. If they ignore you, then just play on and get on with it. And once the game is over, that's where it stays - nothing can be achieved having a sook after the game (noting Boomer didn't do this, other than to give Crowley a mouthful, which was dumb IMO as Crowley would have loved it).

(BTW that is pretty much what Boomer did - he complained at quarter time, got no protection and on the game went. It was the umps that initiated the charges against Crowley based on Boomer's complaint, which I am sure was not what Boomer was trying to achieve, Boomer was just looking for some protection on the ground. And I don't blame Boomer for telling it like it was and not going easy on Crowley before the Tribunal - pinching is a dog act after all. The only thing Boomer did wrong IMO was to let Crowley's tactics get to him).

Re: the rest of your post - yeah it was a perfect storm of crap, wasn't it? The only positive I took out of it was that it was round 12 or whatever, and the was first time that season I had that sinking feeling that we weren't gonna win it. Every other game we coulda/shoulda/woulda, but nup, we were gone from the opening bounce. Compare to previous seasons where that feeling kicked in waaay earlier in the year. Not much of a positive, but hey I'm an optimistic kinda guy.

I get what you're saying, but just so I'm clear, what I'm saying is complain to the umps while you're out there but don't make a song and dance about it and definitely don't let the situation get to you. If the umps back you and give you some protection, the complaint was worth it. If they ignore you, then just play on and get on with it. And once the game is over, that's where it stays - nothing can be achieved having a sook after the game (noting Boomer didn't do this, other than to give Crowley a mouthful, which was dumb IMO as Crowley would have loved it).

(BTW that is pretty much what Boomer did - he complained at quarter time, got no protection and on the game went. It was the umps that initiated the charges against Crowley based on Boomer's complaint, which I am sure was not what Boomer was trying to achieve, Boomer was just looking for some protection on the ground. And I don't blame Boomer for telling it like it was and not going easy on Crowley before the Tribunal - pinching is a dog act after all. The only thing Boomer did wrong IMO was to let Crowley's tactics get to him).

Re: the rest of your post - yeah it was a perfect storm of crap, wasn't it? The only positive I took out of it was that it was round 12 or whatever, and the was first time that season I had that sinking feeling that we weren't gonna win it. Every other game we coulda/shoulda/woulda, but nup, we were gone from the opening bounce. Compare to previous seasons where that feeling kicked in waaay earlier in the year. Not much of a positive, but hey I'm an optimistic kinda guy.

I understand what you mean, but going to the umps for protection is a sign of weakness imo, you should be getting the protection from your team mates and your coach should insist that the protection of the class outsiders is part of their responsibilities.

We don't rely as much on boomer when we have Ziebell and Cunnington because they can be offensive players, what hurt Boomer was that without a tagger on our other outside players, none of these players stood up to take the pressure off him and play well enough. We can't rely on a player who is copping a heavy tag, unless we can get him into space by giving him some protection then he is going to be tackled as soon as he touches the ball.

Dal Santo hopefully will help to address that weakness, having another class experienced player should help us when Boomer or Wells cops a heavy tag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back