Cricket 2016/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Faulkner is the best all rounder

No he isn't. We don't have a test standard AR, all are bits and pieces all rounders. None are test quality. Might as well play 6 bats. Pattinson (when fit), Starc, etc can all bat.

No he isn't. We don't have a test standard AR, all are bits and pieces all rounders. None are test quality. Might as well play 6 bats. Pattinson (when fit), Starc, etc can all bat.

Bailey was the last one wasn't he, for a batsman anyway.

Didnt say he was test standard

Pick them off some form at least

If everyone was fit what is your test 11

Tough one but I'd go with:

1. Renshaw
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Patterson (but it is close between him and a few for mine)
7. Whiteman (for mine, it is just time, I'm scared how many chances will go down in the Indian tour)
8. Pattinson/Cummins (would play Cummins if he has a few Shield games)
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

12th Marcus Harris

If everyone was fit what is your test 11

I'll have a crack:

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Kawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. S. Marsh
7. Neville (He should be dropped but I have him over Wade & Whiteman)
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood
10. Lyon
11. Bird
_________

12. Sayers
13. Pattinson
14. Holland
15. Head
16. Patterson

Last edited:
How can a player struggle mentally with cricket and the game, yet be good enough for Test Cricket??? Shouldn't he be mentally prepared for test cricket before being selected, rather than struggling???

I think he has the skills and technique to be a test cricket, but you hit the nail on the head he doesn't have mentality to be a good test cricketer. Hence on his first class form with how he plays, he shouldn't be selected.

I stand by what I say, he is not ready for test cricket and shouldn't be playing. Really everything you write, supports my belief he is not good enough and shouldn't be in the team.

Clearly he doesn't always struggle, his FC record isn't that bad.
If you consider his record despite not being mentally ready (as you like to classify it)... one could argue he is better than his record and deserves a shot at test level given (1) it is as good as all the other contenders and (b) the new philosophy of the Australian selectors.

Can't we move on from the Marsh boys? They have to be the biggest disappointments we have in Australian cricket! SMarsh can't stay fit for more than 3 games!

S. Marsh fit, I would give a go above Patterson/Head.... I agree, I don't think he is the future or that good, but I think he is still above other candidates.

I like a Renshaw/Warner opening partnership because they compliment each other. As long as Renshaw doesn't become like J. Crawley and just get bogged down.

Cummins to me is below Pattinson/Bird/Sayers and shouldn't get a look in. Pattinson/Sayers were close for mine, but Bird as done nothing wrong in my view and played his part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

Name an all-rounder that can bat like Mitch Marsh and bowls 140 k's.

LOL at thinking Marsh bowls 140kmph in the first place, and he isn't an all rounder when he has no idea how to bat other than slog, that isn't a top 6 test bat.

We have lived without an AR for 100 years, we don't need one. Smith is handy enough with his part timers if need be.

LOL at thinking Marsh bowls 140kmph in the first place, and he isn't an all rounder when he has no idea how to bat other than slog, that isn't a top 6 test bat.

We have lived without an AR for 100 years, we don't need one. Smith is handy enough with his part timers if need be.

Miller , beanuad etc

S. Marsh fit, I would give a go above Patterson/Head.... I agree, I don't think he is the future or that good, but I think he is still above other candidates.

I like a Renshaw/Warner opening partnership because they compliment each other. As long as Renshaw doesn't become like J. Crawley and just get bogged down.

Cummins to me is below Pattinson/Bird/Sayers and shouldn't get a look in. Pattinson/Sayers were close for mine, but Bird as done nothing wrong in my view and played his part.

Renshaw can play attacking enough innings', he likes to go big against spinners. Didn't have the opportunity to do so, as the situation required him to bat time.

I don't see the point going back to an injury prone batsman who has very little future long term. How long is Marsh planning to stay fit this time? 2 weeks?

Cummins is a gut feel. I did prelude that by saying I'd rather him have a couple of Shield games at the end of this season. Purely on a gut feeling he would be in my side, pending his Shield results. Bird doesn't do enough for me.

Renshaw can play attacking enough innings', he likes to go big against spinners. Didn't have the opportunity to do so, as the situation required him to bat time.

I don't see the point going back to an injury prone batsman who has very little future long term. How long is Marsh planning to stay fit this time? 2 weeks?

Cummins is a gut feel. I did prelude that by saying I'd rather him have a couple of Shield games at the end of this season. Purely on a gut feeling he would be in my side, pending his Shield results. Bird doesn't do enough for me.

Birds worth being in a touring squad, solid, the new siddle, but nothing special

So you can't think of one then.

If you have someone with Mitch Marsh's skill set you would be mad not to give him a crack at playing the AR role in a test team.
Players like that don't grow on trees.

If we think this Marsh dud is near those two we need our selectors heads' checked. It is a worry that I say this but 'jeez we miss Watson'..

I agree on marsh

But we have had some all rounders in a 100 years

So you can't think of one then.

If you have someone with Mitch Marsh's skill set you would be mad not to give him a crack at playing the AR role in a test team.
Players like that don't grow on trees.

He is not from NSW you know :p

Birds worth being in a touring squad, solid, the new siddle, but nothing special

He's solid, nothing wrong with that. I just question whether he has enough tools long term. I feel Sayers might be worth a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back