Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope Zampa makes a contribution today otherwise there may not be any SA boys in the team for their home ODI this Friday. If white has a stinker then Head must come back in

Instead of saying how pathetic the Aussies are, I think we should acknowledge the fact that this England team is very, very good. They've won something like 18 of their last 22 ODI's, so this series result is no flash in the pan. Make no mistake: the Poms are genuine contenders for next year's World Cup.

Instead of saying how pathetic the Aussies are, I think we should acknowledge the fact that this England team is very, very good. They've won something like 18 of their last 22 ODI's, so this series result is no flash in the pan. Make no mistake: the Poms are genuine contenders for next year's World Cup.
You are right about the Poms being very good in this format. If they keep this up, it’ll be their WC to lose.

You are right about the Poms being very good in this format. If they keep this up, it’ll be their WC to lose.
Not sure I'd quite go that far - they've never won it, and with the 2019 tournament being in England, they'll be under enormous pressure from their home fans to break the drought, which brings a unique kind of pressure on a team. But they're certainly doing most things right, and they'll be hard to beat.

That's a point that has been forgotten by many. England's batting lineup is up there with the most potent I've seen for an ODI side and their bowlers are more than capable of doing the job. Not to mention there is quality waiting outside the lineup too with the likes of Willey, Vince and Malan not getting games (and yes of course, Stokes).

Australia executed their bowling plans horribly when Buttler came at them and top order batting has struggled other than Finch, Marsh and Stoinis this series, but I don't think it's slit wrists time. Side could do with Agar / Maxwell coming back in and I would prefer to see Khawaja or Marsh to shore up the top order, far more likely propositions to make a big backbone of a score than White or Head at international level.

Australia executed their bowling plans horribly when Buttler came at them and top order batting has struggled other than Finch, Marsh and Stoinis this series, but I don't think it's slit wrists time. Side could do with Agar / Maxwell coming back in and I would prefer to see Khawaja or Marsh to shore up the top order, far more likely propositions to make a big backbone of a score than White or Head at international level.[/QUOTE]

Khawaja would be one of my first choices, the batting is nearly right but White is a huge cross for the selection. The question is whether Agar's gentle spin can translate from BBL to 50 overs ODI. I don't think it can. He is certainly a better bat than Zampa but that shouldn't have to be a concern. Marsh seems likely to come back from his quad strain via the BBL match v the Strikers. If the selectors want to try an experiment then Ashton Turner would at least be no less of a failure than White.

Australia executed their bowling plans horribly when Buttler came at them and top order batting has struggled other than Finch, Marsh and Stoinis this series, but I don't think it's slit wrists time. Side could do with Agar / Maxwell coming back in and I would prefer to see Khawaja or Marsh to shore up the top order, far more likely propositions to make a big backbone of a score than White or Head at international level.

Khawaja would be one of my first choices, the batting is nearly right but White is a huge cross for the selection. The question is whether Agar's gentle spin can translate from BBL to 50 overs ODI. I don't think it can. He is certainly a better bat than Zampa but that shouldn't have to be a concern. Marsh seems likely to come back from his quad strain via the BBL match v the Strikers. If the selectors want to try an experiment then Ashton Turner would at least be no less of a failure than White.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, Mark Waugh won't want to weaken his beloved Sydney Thunder, by selecting Khawaja to play for Australia......

Some questionable selections for the Test series next month in South Africa, how on earth does (Jye) Richardson get picked over Sayers who’s been toiling hard in Shield cricket?!?
I could pick a better team than the current numpties!!!

Sayers seems to have a "not to be selected" mark against his name. I get the idea that the Australian selectors just want to go on with more of the same and Sayers is not the full pace bowler that Richardson is.

Even more disappointing is that the Redbacks will be without 4 players just for some stupid Mickey Mouse comp that the Aussies will almost certainly lose.

There goes any chance of SA making the Shield final & breaking that long drought, sack the $ACA board & current Australian selectors!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sayers seems to have a "not to be selected" mark against his name. I get the idea that the Australian selectors just want to go on with more of the same and Sayers is not the full pace bowler that Richardson is.
Glenn McGrath showed you don't need express pace to be successful. If Sayers had moved to Sydney, he might be Test captain by now :).

Now that’s how you defend 127. The Aussie U19’s beat England by 31 runs with the leggie Pope taking 8/35

Now that’s how you defend 127. The Aussie U19’s beat England by 31 runs with the leggie Pope taking 8/35
Went home for lunch , stoked I did. Was amazing to watch. What impressed me most was it was done in a final defending sub 130. Boys a competitor, amazing spell.

Very few 100% positive comments on adelaidenow, most were talking of the artificial nature of the two-man catch, saying earlier ones were "purer", describing Fleming's excitement as over the top and accusing him of hyperbole. What a sorry bunch, just enjoy it you twats or go and watch croquet.

Very few 100% positive comments on adelaidenow, most were talking of the artificial nature of the two-man catch, saying earlier ones were "purer", describing Fleming's excitement as over the top and accusing him of hyperbole. What a sorry bunch, just enjoy it you twats or go and watch croquet.
If you know only ****.wits write comments why are you sadistic enough to continually go and read them? I just dont get it.

Smith extremely unlucky to be given out. This match is on a knife-edge.
Given out because under DRS rules the on-field soft dismissal had to be definitely shown to be wrong. But I do not agree with KP's comment that it should be technology only and soft dismissals should not come into it. As Mark Taylor pointed out and as earlier happened before the soft dismissal rule, reviewed catches were nearly always overturned on benefit of the doubt. The technology should be able to be improved with less distance between frames. Some catches have been given because the one frame that could confirm whether the ball was grassed is not available. The same with run-outs, often in a replay of a run-out you see one frame where the batsmen is 3 cm short of the crease and then the next one he is 3 cm over it. And the bails are off in the second frame but you cannot confirm the batsman was in or out when the bails came off. The batsman gets the benefit of the doubt but if there is DRS then doubt, especially in run-outs, should not exist.

Last edited:
Silly question due insomnia: should/could one-day cricket become "two-day cricket," by having two innings of 100 overs each?

I ask because it would bring the code closer to test and farther away from T20, making it more of a middle ground between those two. At least, that's what seems to me, an ignorant curious alien.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back