Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Redbacks when there's nothing riding on the result!!!! Chasing SA's 271, Tasmania is 8 for 111.

When you loose as often as the Redbacks do there is always something hanging on the result. :rolleyes: Only the Redbacks could figure out away of losing from here.

I think Tassie are vying with WA for a home final. WA are well on top of Victoria so if Tassie want a home final they need to win this.

When you loose as often as the Redbacks do there is always something hanging on the result. :rolleyes: Only the Redbacks could figure out away of losing from here.

I think Tassie are vying with WA for a home final. WA are well on top of Victoria so if Tassie want a home final they need to win this.
Barring a miracle, you can forget about a Tassie win - they're 8 for 159, chasing 324.

I wouldn't say WA are well on top - they've just been bowled out for 168, leaving the Vics 269 to win in a day and a half. That would be the highest innings score of the match though, obviously.

After Tassie's loss to SA they remain on top of the Shield table for now, but if WA beat the Vics the final will be played at the WACA - a win to the Vics wouldn't be enough to overhaul Tasmania's points, and a draw would also mean the final in Hobart. Vic currently 4/67 chasing 269. Even if NSW beat Qld outright, one of WA or Vic will stay ahead of them whatever the result of their game.

The table below takes into account the batting and bowling points from the first innings of all games:

1710304344364.png

Great jubilation on last night's Adelaide TV news bulletins as they informed us that the Redbacks had avoided the wooden spoon. What does it say when the media rejoice at a side not finishing bottom ?
Sounds like "13 straight wins constitutes a successful season."

"Ashes ODI"

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

I did see the Port Adelaide cricket club won the Div 1 SACA district flag.
Beating the invincible Glenelg Seahorses who had half their team full of Redbacks players :cool: :D:thumbsu:

Now if our footballers could take a leaf out of the cricketers' game plan.............................................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did see the Port Adelaide cricket club won the Div 1 SACA district flag.
Beating the invincible Glenelg Seahorses who had half their team full of Redbacks players :cool: :D:thumbsu:

Now if our footballers could take a leaf out of the cricketers' game plan.............................................
Obviously the cricketers don't find finals scary.

and another one bites the dust...

Jason Gillespie has quit as Redbacks coach with a year left on his contract and he joins Tim Nielson who quit as General Manager High performance last week. Looks like the Redbacks have broken another two. Gillespie has been linked to the Pakistan coaching job but has declined to comment at this stage.

The SACA can have all the in depth reviews they like and appoint all the high profile coaches they can muster but unless they are prepared to act on the problems at grass roots level nothing will change at the top. As discussed previously the District competition needs a radical overhaul. Too many clubs with the talent spread too thinly.

The SACA and the Redbacks are a basket case and who would want to coach them ? The Redbacks coaching job would have to be seen as a poison chalice to many credible candidates.

and another one bites the dust...

Jason Gillespie has quit as Redbacks coach with a year left on his contract and he joins Tim Nielson who quit as General Manager High performance last week. Looks like the Redbacks have broken another two. Gillespie has been linked to the Pakistan coaching job but has declined to comment at this stage.

The SACA can have all the in depth reviews they like and appoint all the high profile coaches they can muster but unless they are prepared to act on the problems at grass roots level nothing will change at the top. As discussed previously the District competition needs a radical overhaul. Too many clubs with the talent spread too thinly.

The SACA and the Redbacks are a basket case and who would want to coach them ? The Redbacks coaching job would have to be seen as a poison chalice to many credible candidates.
Grassroots is stuffed in every state - I’ve been playing senior cricket for 40 years now - many years ago at a reasonable standard - I’ve never seen country community level so poor - I effectively retired from playing in the senior comp 15 years ago to promote youth - fast forward and I’ve ended up keeping and opening the batting.

CA have stuffed the pyramid system and it’s in an irreversible decline

Grassroots is stuffed in every state - I’ve been playing senior cricket for 40 years now - many years ago at a reasonable standard - I’ve never seen country community level so poor - I effectively retired from playing in the senior comp 15 years ago to promote youth - fast forward and I’ve ended up keeping and opening the batting.

CA have stuffed the pyramid system and it’s in an irreversible decline

I am not familiar with what happens in the other States but SA has been in decline for almost 30 years. The problem is the SACA expanded the competition and the available talent is spread too thinly. In the past 30 years the competition has expanded from 10 District Clubs to 13 clubs. Several years back Jamie Siddons was contracted to conduct a review of cricket in SA. He concluded that there were too many clubs and that the number should be reduced. The problem is under the SACA Constitution the only way the SACA can reduce the numbers is for a unanimous decision of the SACA delegates which means one or more clubs voting themselves out of the district competition.

Whatever WA is doing, maybe it'd pay for us to copy them.
One thing WA district cricket has, is excellent wickets. Its partly weather, partly soils, but administration has a lot to do with it.

I am not familiar with what happens in the other States but SA has been in decline for almost 30 years. The problem is the SACA expanded the competition and the available talent is spread too thinly. In the past 30 years the competition has expanded from 10 District Clubs to 13 clubs. Several years back Jamie Siddons was contracted to conduct a review of cricket in SA. He concluded that there were too many clubs and that the number should be reduced. The problem is under the SACA Constitution the only way the SACA can reduce the numbers is for a unanimous decision of the SACA delegates which means one or more clubs voting themselves out of the district competition.
Coincides with the introduction of Milo and the explosion in Mickey Mouse junior comps - no coincidence - the same in every state

Here is a good long article from cricket.com.au from 12 months ago when WA won their back to back shield final and a few WA cricket people explain the reasons behind their success.

But lets face it, NSW still is the strongest cricket state, but their best players don't play in the shield comp, they are away on international duty.

For most of the last 24-36 months the strongest Oz teams have included
Warner, Smith and Kawaja - who was a product of NSW cricket before mid career moving to Qld and
Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood and Lyon

The Sydney district cricket comp is a bloody tough league. Also given NSW's population base, and the fact they don't loose tall blokes to rugby league and union in the same sort of numbers like the southern states do to Australian Football, they have a hell of a lot bigger pool of 195cm types who bowl really fast and accurately compared to the other states.

India has a new fast bowling kid on the block, 21 year old Mayank Yadav.

He has had a back injury the last 2 years and been in the Lucknow Super Giants squad but hasn't played until this season's IPL.

Never heard of Lucknow?? Just another Indian city with 3.5 million people. He plays for Delhi in the Ranji trophy.

He is bowling very fast and taking wickets. Heard Bharat Sundaresan talk about him today on SEN.

Watch out for him at the T20 World Cup in June/July in West Indies and USA and hopefully then India's tour of Oz at the end of the year. Well that's provided he doesn't injure his back again.

In the vision below he beatenCam Green for sheer pace, a bloke who has played plenty of cricket at the WACA.

Bharat talks about him from 1.45 into the podcast.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back