Current Crimes Committed by Released Immigration Detainees

Remove this Banner Ad

jason_recliner

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
[WARNING: CONFRONTING/TRIGGERING IMAGE]

It was a mistake to remove ankle bracelet from former immigration detainee allegedly involved in home invasion, PM says​

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says it was the wrong decision for a former immigration detainee allegedly involved in a violent home invasion to have his ankle monitoring device removed.

Majid Jamshii Doukoshkan, 43, was one of several people charged over a violent home invasion and burglary in which an elderly man and woman were assaulted. Mr Doukoshkan was released with roughly 150 other immigration detainees in the wake of a High Court ruling late last year deeming their detention unlawful, and was placed under a curfew, with monitoring conditions.

But after appearing before court at least once on a separate matter, his ankle monitor was removed in a decision by the government's hand-picked Community Protection Board that was stood up to manage the former detainees. Bail was also not opposed by prosecutors in that hearing.

Mr Albanese this morning criticised the independent board's decision to remove the monitoring device. "I think that's a wrong decision by that board, which they make the decisions independent [of government]," Mr Albanese said. "It is an outrage that this occurred." The prime minister also distanced himself from the decision not to oppose bail for Mr Doukoshkan before the alleged home invasion occurred.

"In this country, in Australia we have a separation of the judicial system from the political system, but if it was up to me I assure you there would not have been bail granted in that case … I am upset about that decision. I think that lacks common sense and that is one of the things that no doubt will be on the agenda today at the meeting of [police ministers] that will be chaired by [Attorney-General] Mark Dreyfus.
A graphic photo of an older woman with cuts on her face and severe bruising
Mr Giles and Ms O'Neil have laid low since the alleged home invasion, neither holding a press conference and each doing just a single interview.

Government Services Minister Bill Shorten said he could not understand how Mr Doukoshkan had been bailed. "I honestly don't know why the federal prosecutor, who admittedly is independent so I will probably get in trouble for saying this, but why on earth didn't the federal prosecutor oppose bail?" Mr Shorten asked. "I do not understand some of our bail laws, and I do not understand some of the decisions made to give these people freedom when they shouldn't have it."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-03/albanese-ankle-bracelet-detainee-removal-wrong/103799268

Remove this Banner Ad

Back