Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

How does AFL Membership work now ? Can they just scan on the day and sit in an area or do you have to reserve a seat now ?
Have to reserve a seat using your barcode but they don't charge the normal $10 reserve seat fee.
Which means the AFL will be losing out for the big games where people would normally be reserving anyway.
Will be interesting to see what they do going forward.

Honestly the whole online booking thing even with a membership is a pain. My dad tried booking our group in several rounds and stuffed it every time so I had to redo it. People like just being able to roll up.

Also reckon a lot of people got very cozy watching it at home last year. Hopefully people slowly come back.

That's a State Government fault, not the AFL.

AFL/MCC/clubs are doing their best to exploit it though. The way it worked for Hawthorn members for the Geelong game demonstrated as much - system is designed to try to get people to pay for something they have already bought. Members paid full tote odds last year and now get treated like this. It is a disgrace.

Have to reserve a seat using your barcode but they don't charge the normal $10 reserve seat fee.
Which means the AFL will be losing out for the big games where people would normally be reserving anyway.

So they are being a little more honest with AFL members than they are with club members?

I doubt it will sellout. I haven’t missed an ANZAC Day game since 1995 but I won’t go this year. I simply can’t be bothered with the ticketing process to go in the MCC. Usually I just rock up whenever and sit on level 4 of MCC for the away game version. This year I will give a miss.

If I’m not bothering this year, I’d think there’d be many others like me.

If they get 80,000 they will be very happy. Especially if Essendon come out of tonight poorly.
yeah one of my favourite things about having MCC is just rocking up to the footy, and often I'll watch games standing up anyway, as do a lot of people. The ticketing system is a hassle and it's difficult to organise to go with a group of mates etc, as you all need to book at once. It's basically the hassle of booking finals tickets but for regular home and away games. Hopefully the system is scrapped soon.

yeah one of my favourite things about having MCC is just rocking up to the footy, and often I'll watch games standing up anyway, as do a lot of people. The ticketing system is a hassle and it's difficult to organise to go with a group of mates etc, as you all need to book at once. It's basically the hassle of booking finals tickets but for regular home and away games. Hopefully the system is scrapped soon.

So it’s like going to the football in WA?

I reckon it has been an improvement for AFL members. In the past like you said we’ve had to pay the reserve seat fee and the seats available weren’t that great. Now as long as you are organised you get a much better choice without the fee. I reckon the government won’t want people scanning in on the day and sitting wherever so they’ll force the afl to keep the current arrangement in place for this season at least.

I wonder if some people are turned off by this, and can see the game is becoming artificially manufactured to suit certain interest groups rather than letting it evolve naturally.

When I saw Whateley and Robbo celebrating that the game has been saved, I cringed.
I’m in Qld and every week I would watch 6-7 games the rules and the constant fiddling with the game I watch 1or 2 hocking whateleys and co have made the game unwatchable

AFL/MCC/clubs are doing their best to exploit it though. The way it worked for Hawthorn members for the Geelong game demonstrated as much - system is designed to try to get people to pay for something they have already bought. Members paid full tote odds last year and now get treated like this. It is a disgrace.
They were making sure Hawks members with access were sent to the nosebleeds. I was in the same bay as a hawks mate on Q level. I could get row A as a public ticket. With thier membership the best it offered was row Q!

I reckon it has been an improvement for AFL members. In the past like you said we’ve had to pay the reserve seat fee and the seats available weren’t that great. Now as long as you are organised you get a much better choice without the fee. I reckon the government won’t want people scanning in on the day and sitting wherever so they’ll force the afl to keep the current arrangement in place for this season at least.
With low crowds you could do that anyway. They've cut back staff at both MCG and Marvel. Just go in through the exit they aren't manning.

indeed the mcg once made a big thing of this ‘the people’s ground’ now they are out doing marvel for bastardry

nowhere in this earth are priority booking groups locked out of subsequent ticket releases

They were making sure Hawks members with access were sent to the nosebleeds. I was in the same bay as a hawks mate on Q level. I could get row A as a public ticket. With thier membership the best it offered was row Q!

With low crowds you could do that anyway. They've cut back staff at both MCG and Marvel. Just go in through the exit they aren't manning.

‘yep I’ve been sitting wherever I see fit. The only difference is the punt road reserve is split into 2 zones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowdwatch

Year
Round 5 average
31576​
4623​
40082​
42431​
43544​
40610​
36667​
38311​
35248​
31370​
Round 5 2021 - % above or below
+583%​
-21%​
-26%​
-27%​
-22%​
-14%​
-18%​
-10%​
+1%​
Round 5 - lowest since (excluding 2020)
2012​
1920​
2015​
2016​
2016​
2015​
2013​
2013​
2012​
2000​
Round 5 - highest since
2019​
2019​
2018​
2017​
2011​
2011​
2014​
2011​
2011​
2011​
Season average to Round 5
28243​
2637​
38673​
39425​
38002​
36861​
35441​
33458​
35910​
34765​
Season to Round 5 2021 - % above or below
+971%​
-27%​
-28%​
-26%​
-23%​
-20%​
-16%​
-21%​
-19%​
Season to Round 5 - lowest since (excluding 2020)
1993​
1920​
2017​
2017​
2016​
2015​
2014​
2000​
2012​
2004​
Season to Round 5 - highest since
2019​
2019​
2018​
2008​
2011​
2011​
2013​
2013​
2011​
2011​

It's a pain in the arse to get your tickets at the moment. Reminds me of booking a flight.
Plus you can’t meet with mates,

can’t go to the bar at the stadium,

can’t go to level 3 if you are a reserved seat member and want to go up there with a group,

can’t stand behind the seating,

can’t have the simplicity of walking in with your membership card and instead must book in advance during work hours to get good seats.

None of that will stop me but it will annoy 90% of people.

Really sad to see Victorians here with baseless excuses to prevent staring at reality

You simple cant hold 10 teams anymore, 2 need to go. Sort it out amongst yourselves and let us know when you are done
We're sending StKilda and North your way and the four of you can join the WAFL. Leaves us with a nice 14 teams in the main comp.

Suggestion that ANZAC Eve could beat ANZAC Day for crowd.
Well it could. ANZAC Eve is a top 4 ish contest whilst ANZAC Day is a match between likely pretenders (Collingwood) and cellar dweller (Essendon).

If an ANZAC Eve game is to outdraw ANZAC Day then this is going to be the one. Given reasonable weather, the early season genuine blockbuster will draw many neutrals in both the AFL and MCC reserves to ensure both reserves are at capacity.

Likely to be the anomaly over time however given the Dees don’t have the drawing power of a Collingwood or Essendon.

We're sending StKilda and North your way and the four of you can join the WAFL. Leaves us with a nice 14 teams in the main comp.

In that case, can the rest of us join St Kilda and North in the WAFL and you mob can have a unsustainable 8 team VFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back