News Crows Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

The Texan

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can someone explain to me our current licensing situation? Who owns it?
Someone told me we are different to most clubs and have sold our souls, wanted to know what they meant..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Someone told me we are different to most clubs and have sold our souls, wanted to know what they meant..

You shouldn't ask but...

We were screwed by the SANFL so we had the AFL buy the license so we could move to Adelaide Oval...and we can have it back in 8 years...maybe

So they control all our board then?
Would love to know what our obligations are in that case..

Adelaide purchased the licence off the SANFL , but effectively vendor financed it and had it guaranteed by the AFL

Originally the SANFL purchased the licence as the AFL needed someone who was capable of purchasing it and was financially viable, they couldn't sell it to the AFC being a new entity worth nothing

The SANFL basically leased it or rented it to the AFC

The AFC wanted to purchase it from the SANFL but again the AFC needed the backing of the AFL in terms of a guarantee so the SANFL was comfortable in selling it to them so they could guarantee they receive their money

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port are in the exact same situation, as are most non-victorian teams.

AFL helped us buy our license off of SANFL who were effectively using us as their personal cash cow and were sticking their finger into too much of our operation. Trouble is its left our board with very little accountability and the members still have effectively no say on our operations. As long as we're financially stable, the AFL don't really care what's going on. They certainly don't care whether we're winning premierships or not. This is the reason our board hold the membership base in such contempt, especially whilst memberships keep getting sold.

The light is that we will have effectively "bought back" our licence by 2028 which means the board should be completely member voted, which would change the way the board act.

AFL helped us buy our license off of SANFL who were effectively using us as their personal cash cow and were sticking their finger into too much of our operation. Trouble is its left our board with very little accountability and the members still have effectively no say on our operations. As long as we're financially stable, the AFL don't really care what's going on. They certainly don't care whether we're winning premierships or not. This is the reason our board hold the membership base in such contempt, especially whilst memberships keep getting sold.

The light is that we will have effectively "bought back" our licence by 2028 which means the board should be completely member voted, which would change the way the board act.
How will it change the board though

There are 50000 members who will vote like a popularity contest

I would bet $100 if someone like modra put his hand up he would get in

Helped might not be the right word.

I have little doubt the AFC would have been able to raise the money, In my opinion it was a condition of the sale.

If you remember back in the day, Chapman lauded the transfer and the new constitution which stopped the ability for the board to be over thrown in a coup, effectively because the AFL are the clubs only shareholder and controls 6 of the 8 seats on the board.

Helped might not be the right word.

I have little doubt the AFC would have been able to raise the money, In my opinion it was a condition of the sale.

If you remember back in the day, Chapman lauded the transfer and the new constitution which stopped the ability for the board to be over thrown in a coup, effectively because the AFL are the clubs only shareholder and controls 6 of the 8 seats on the board.
What security would the AFC have put up to borrow that amount?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, in this financial system (noting what you call intangible to others may not be)
What I call intangible every financial institution calls the same infact they are probably even stricter than i would say.

I suppose they could have borrowed the cash from the hells angels or someone like that

What I call intangible every financial institution calls the same infact they are probably even stricter than i would say.

I suppose they could have borrowed the cash from the hells angels or someone like that

You don't know what any financial institution would or would not lend to.

You are confusing retail and small business lending with commercial, corporate and institutional lending.

Last edited:
You don't know what any financial institution would or would not lend to.

You are confusing retail and small business lending with commercial, corporate and institutional lending.
No I'm not I actually am fully aware of how they lend to public listed companies

You are the one who is unaware of credit policy in fact government credit policy to suggest anyone would lend 10 million to any organisation without solid security and not just a first mortgage debenture when the organisation has no fixed assets

The financial institution only realise their security if it can't be repaid, if the organisation is in that much trouble and cannot meet it's commitments, goodwill would be zero, as it would be trading insolvent, so what security do they hold.

No I'm not I actually am fully aware of how they lend to public listed companies

You are the one who is unaware of credit policy in fact government credit policy to suggest anyone would lend 10 million to any organisation without solid security and not just a first mortgage debenture when the organisation has no fixed assets

The financial institution only realise their security if it can't be repaid, if the organisation is in that much trouble and cannot meet it's commitments, goodwill would be zero, as it would be trading insolvent, so what security do they hold.

Actually I'm pretty well versed to be honest.

Last edited:

Buying it back might make it possible to make the board entirely (or even just majority) member voted. But I assume that would still require the club to make the necessary changes to make it so. And I have a hard time envisioning any future in which the management of this club do anything to make themselves accountable. They're quite comfortable with how things are right now, thankyouverymuch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back