Crypto Sponsorship for the AFL - and now NFTs

Remove this Banner Ad

But that's the point, there aren't as many transactions, nor will there likely every be, so it's a moot point because other cryptos don't have the power consumption of Bitcoin.
Are you saying there is no more growth for Bitcoin as a currency ?

Also the power consumption for other cryptos will only get worse as they scale.

Are you saying there is no more growth for Bitcoin as a currency ?

Also the power consumption for other cryptos will only get worse as they scale.
There always could be growth, depends on other countries adopting it like El Salvador has. On chain data suggests the big players are buying and moving off chain so it'll likely go the way of gold in my opinion.

Other cryptos either don't use proof of work, or are moving away from it. They don't use anywhere near the amount of power Bitcoin does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my arithmetic is correct, that equals 1.5 million times more energy used per transaction. Now, 1.5 million times a tiny number is perhaps not a very big number...but if it pertains to a thing - eg commercial transactions - that is counted in the tens of billions per day...well then it jumps up a few orders of magnitude in significance. I myself haven't verified what that graph is saying, but it sounds roughly accurate anyhow.

And? The power is being produced anyway in most cases and it's primarily on renewable energy, especially since the big miners have left China. Simply posting a statement in isolation doesn't really prove anything. I could counter this with the chart of the world financial system power usage vs Bitcoin to prove the exact opposite.

If they're building additional fossil fuel powered plants solely to mine Bitcoin, then I'd agree with you. That's not the case though, especially after all the hoo-hah last year from Elon Musk (the same bloke who sends rockets to space by the way...) about how Bitcoin is 'bad for the environment'.
I will never forget this post.

It's a pyramid scheme, those that got in early love it. Those that bought in the last 12 months and have lost half their investment, not so much.

It's a waste of energy and is good for money laundering. Complete nonsense as it serves no useful purpose.
Shares are the same. How about the poor sods who bought Netflix shares just before they recently crashed 40%?

bUt TheY'Re BacKeD bY SOmeTHiNg!!!

Very much hope you're someone who doesn't complain about the environmental 'impact' of Bitcoin then.
Where are we supposed to get all the materials for the batteries to run everything required for this renewables reveloution to save the planet? I suppose there is some new recently dicovered magical method of locating these that doesn't require any mining whatsoever?

Where are we supposed to get all the materials for the batteries to run everything required for this renewables reveloution to save the planet? I suppose there is some new recently dicovered magical method of locating these that doesn't require any mining whatsoever?
So you're cool with destroying the earth, taking advantage of indigenous populations and utilising child labour?

It's fine as long as you make money, right?

Just don't want you to portray yourself as a hypocrite is all.

This 'renewables revolution' isn't as clean as you may think it is. Far from it in fact.

So you're cool with destroying the earth, taking advantage of indigenous populations and utilising child labour?

It's fine as long as you make money, right?

Just don't want you to portray yourself as a hypocrite is all.

This 'renewables revolution' isn't as clean as you may think it is. Far from it in fact.
Yes I'm totally aware of those potential issues with mining.

Now you tell me simply the realistic alternatives to sourcing these desperately needed materials for our transition from fossil fuels to using renewable energy to power the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back