Current Barry Round news

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope this thread is OK, I was advised through a friend, VFL AFL 20th Century FB page has it too, seems Willi have confirmed it but nothing from Bulldogs and Swans. Apologies if I should have waited for anything official.

Edit: actually it's on the MB too.

images (37).jpeg
Salmon, Dempsey, Baker, Round.
images (38).jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks, was going off 2 sources plus MB, in hindsight should have waited. Trying to work out how to delete the thread.
We have a few sources so I'll be waiting for either the club to confirm or one of our In the Knows.

I'm really sad to announce that former Footscray player Barry Round has passed today. Thoughts are with his family and friends. A lot of great tales that I will leave others to proffer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dad used to light-heartedly refer to him as Round Barry.

Round was one of a select few to play 100 senior games for three different clubs:
135 Footscray
193 South/Sydney
110 Williamstown

My dad used to light-heartedly refer to him as Round Barry.

Round was one of a select few to play 100 senior games for three different clubs:
135 Footscray
193 South/Sydney
110 Williamstown
438 games. Great longevity. That would be close to Michael Tuck’s record if they had all been in the VFL.

Apologies again for the false start to this thread, thanks Ticky009 for your understanding/support.

I remember Roundy filling in for Dempsey away on state duty - always seemed more mobile and a longer kick when younger (may just be my RWB-coloured glasses!) but still a great career across 3 clubs.

Also remember him running out in his old early 1970s Footscray #14 jumper for the 1989 Legends game at Skinner Reserve to save the club.

Farewell big fella, gone too soon.

Pardon the interruption on this Boxing Day morning.

Just posted this is on our Board. Feel pretty sure you folks would support the proposal.

Provided the Round family were happy I reckon a biannual practice match in Barry’s honour could be played between the Bullies and the Bloods in Warragul.. proceeds split between community footy and a charity of the Round familys choice. Every second preseason a practice match could be played between Williamstown and Port Melbourne

Barry was on the front bar last year. Starts 24.25. Had some great stories.

Saw this last year, great to see some old b&w footage as a Bulldog. Pity they never asked his reaction to our 2016 flag as well.

That one where he fractured his ankle with Merrington helping him, I was on the hill behind the Geelong Rd goals - still a very clear memory. He missed more than a couple though, think he was out for 5-6 weeks. Was a blow for the team as well as he'd become a regular goalkicker in previous seasons, as well as backup ruck.

Saw this last year, great to see some old b&w footage as a Bulldog. Pity they never asked his reaction to our 2016 flag as well.

That one where he fractured his ankle with Merrington helping him, I was on the hill behind the Geelong Rd goals - still a very clear memory. He missed more than a couple though, think he was out for 5-6 weeks. Was a blow for the team as well as he'd become a regular goalkicker in previous seasons, as well as backup ruck.
I have a distant memory of him standing near the race watching the reserves game with other players. Must have been early 70's and I was so young I can't recall anything about the game. Must have been one of the first games I saw and it was so exciting to see the old man point out players you had never seen up close, only knew about their deeds from listening to the radio. Did he want to leave Geoff? He would have always been second fiddle to Dempsey. Or the club needed cash and sold him off, like they did others. Seems like an act of stupidity to let him go.

Sad news
Watch Barry play many times in the seventies
Its a sham that we had money problems and so many left, but as a good locals they all come back
I remember Barry kicking a number of points from kick-ins unfortunately he was a little too far out to goal on the rebound
Also the Don McKenzie goal square incident at the Western Oval as well
Always remembered --- will be sadly missed --- RIP Barry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back