List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

Is Matera a free agent? Reported today that Freo may be on the cards.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/could-...-matera-be-heading-to-fremantle-ng-b88540710z
What could Freo offer? Lachie Weller? A 2018 pick?

If this is true (it's been rumoured most of this year so there's every chance it is) then I have a feeling the Suns will make Fremantle pay heavily for Matera. He's had a pretty good year (22 goals) despite only playing 10 games so the Suns will likely make life difficult for Freo if they really do want him.

If this is true (it's been rumoured most of this year so there's every chance it is) then I have a feeling the Suns will make Fremantle pay heavily for Matera. He's had a pretty good year (22 goals) despite only playing 10 games so the Suns will likely make life difficult for Freo if they really do want him.

Well that's generally what clubs do.

Lachie Weller? - Not a chance in hell.
A 2018 pick? - Most likely

We have to many of the Weller types , and there isn't much on the freo mid range on there list that grabs you.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

OP updated.

Grant, Harbrow, Lonergan, Hallahan, McKenzie, Leslie, Shaw, Matera, Willis, Rischitelli, and Schoenfeld remain off contract from the senior list.

Looks as tough Leslie was given 2 year deal last year.

Defender Jack Leslie finding success in a tough AFL year for the Gold Coast Suns
Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
August 19, 2017 12:00am
ACK Leslie has never been handed anything in life.

It’s why when former Suns coach Rodney Eade and current list manager Scott Clayton sat Leslie down at the end of last year with his future in their hands he was unmoved.

“Rocket (Eade) said there is a spot here but I have to be the one that takes it,” Leslie said of the moment the club offered him a two-year contract extension after three years and just six AFL games.

“He said I’m not going to be handed a spot and that I have to work really hard for it. I set myself to do that.

“I didn’t have a break over the off-season last year and didn’t miss a single session.”

Leslie knew 2017 would be make or break but the challenge failed to instil any fear. He had come too far during his footy journey to let it slip.

The 22-year-old grew up in the remote farming district of Nambrok, 200km east of Melbourne, where the values of patience and hard work were key to life.

Leslie played footy for a small club that had no senior team and he didn’t know who his representative TAC side – Gippsland Power – was before he received a letter inviting him to preseason training at the age of 16.

Reaching the AFL wasn’t even on Leslie’s radar – he had no idea how players even got drafted.

“Back then I literally didn’t expect anything and I just kept going,” Leslie said.

“I always just had the belief to do the best you can and if you don’t succeed, at least you have given it a crack.”

Leslie grew a love for the game and after three years playing as a ruckman for Gippsland and Victoria Country, often travelling over an hour to get to training, was drafted at No. 20 by Gold Coast in the 2013 draft.

Leslie’s lack of exposure to high level footy and injuries upon his arrival to the Suns slowed his development at a club that wanted to transform him into a key defender.

The Suns could have easily discarded the 197cm tall at the end of 2016 but they knew he was a long term prospect and their loyalty has been rewarded in spades.

Leslie has not only boosted the depth in an area where the Suns have desperately needed more talent in 2017, he successfully kept the likes of previous regular Rory Thompson out of the side for a period.

He has played on the likes of Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and West Coast’s Josh Kennedy in 2017 and enjoyed exponential growth on the back of it.

Leslie will play his 13th game of the season – and 19th of his career – today when Gold Coast meet Essendon at Metricon Stadium in a breakthrough season that would have included more matches if not for a recent ankle injury.

“It’s frustrating how slow it came together in the first couple of years but I feel it’s all starting to click now,” Leslie said.

“I’m backing myself in. I have got a fair bit of confidence in my game now and with the game style I play.

“Everything has come together and ended up working out well.”

Looks as tough Leslie was given 2 year deal last year.

Defender Jack Leslie finding success in a tough AFL year for the Gold Coast Suns
Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
August 19, 2017 12:00am
ACK Leslie has never been handed anything in life.

It’s why when former Suns coach Rodney Eade and current list manager Scott Clayton sat Leslie down at the end of last year with his future in their hands he was unmoved.

“Rocket (Eade) said there is a spot here but I have to be the one that takes it,” Leslie said of the moment the club offered him a two-year contract extension after three years and just six AFL games.

“He said I’m not going to be handed a spot and that I have to work really hard for it. I set myself to do that.

“I didn’t have a break over the off-season last year and didn’t miss a single session.”

Leslie knew 2017 would be make or break but the challenge failed to instil any fear. He had come too far during his footy journey to let it slip.

The 22-year-old grew up in the remote farming district of Nambrok, 200km east of Melbourne, where the values of patience and hard work were key to life.

Leslie played footy for a small club that had no senior team and he didn’t know who his representative TAC side – Gippsland Power – was before he received a letter inviting him to preseason training at the age of 16.

Reaching the AFL wasn’t even on Leslie’s radar – he had no idea how players even got drafted.

“Back then I literally didn’t expect anything and I just kept going,” Leslie said.

“I always just had the belief to do the best you can and if you don’t succeed, at least you have given it a crack.”

Leslie grew a love for the game and after three years playing as a ruckman for Gippsland and Victoria Country, often travelling over an hour to get to training, was drafted at No. 20 by Gold Coast in the 2013 draft.

Leslie’s lack of exposure to high level footy and injuries upon his arrival to the Suns slowed his development at a club that wanted to transform him into a key defender.

The Suns could have easily discarded the 197cm tall at the end of 2016 but they knew he was a long term prospect and their loyalty has been rewarded in spades.

Leslie has not only boosted the depth in an area where the Suns have desperately needed more talent in 2017, he successfully kept the likes of previous regular Rory Thompson out of the side for a period.

He has played on the likes of Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and West Coast’s Josh Kennedy in 2017 and enjoyed exponential growth on the back of it.

Leslie will play his 13th game of the season – and 19th of his career – today when Gold Coast meet Essendon at Metricon Stadium in a breakthrough season that would have included more matches if not for a recent ankle injury.

“It’s frustrating how slow it came together in the first couple of years but I feel it’s all starting to click now,” Leslie said.

“I’m backing myself in. I have got a fair bit of confidence in my game now and with the game style I play.

“Everything has come together and ended up working out well.”
OP updated.

I know lonergan was just given the year extension , unsure about other 2.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Source for Lonergan? I'm going to update the OP soon and want sources.

Harbrow is definitely off contract in 2018 as he is due to become a free agent and AFL.com.au has reported on that. It's fair to assume Rischitelli signed a one-year extension due to his injuries and age. So I think it's more than likely that all three are off contract in 2018.

Mr Bods will love this...

Jesse's joy at signing to stay
Jesse Joyce dreams of the day when most of the Suns AFL list is Queensland talent and the Gold Coast defender has moved to ensure he is there to see it happen.

Joyce has signed a two-year contract extension with the Gold Coast that will keep him at the Suns until the end of 2020 as the Palm Beach local continues to forge an AFL career in his home city.

"The club has given me an opportunity to extend and I was more than happy to sign," Joyce said.

"It honestly hasn't even crossed my mind about going to another club because the Gold Coast is my home and I love the club to bits."

Joyce was the third academy product to be listed by the Suns when the club picked him at No.67 of the 2016 rookie draft.

Gold Coast now has nine academy graduates on its list that includes 12 Queenslanders, a tally that increased by five in the past few months.

Joyce, 20, can picture himself being at the Suns for entire career and said he wanted to create a legacy for Queenslanders at the club that he hopes will one day boast the bulk of its players from the state.

"I dream about that all the time, to be honest," Joyce said.

"It's starting to get that way. When we look at the first- to three-year players, that is where the chunk of the number is coming from.

"If we can take that group all the way through to be 10-year players it should be almost a majority of the list.

"I'd love to look back and be one of the first boys to be part of that movement and create a legacy for Queenslanders at the Suns.

"There are definitely some more products coming through over the next couple of years.

"We have had boys playing in our NEAFL team from that upcoming draft group and hopefully we take them because there are some really good players in there."

Joyce said realising his dream would also improve Gold Coast's retention issues, stopping the best players from using the "go home" factor to join rival clubs.

"It would probably give us a better opportunity to keep players," Joyce said.

"But if we pick up more players from the Gold Coast and build them to be key players then there is going to be less players who will want to leave.

"If we can build a good brand of footy here with the players we have got then we are going to be real competitive in the future."

Good to see the Suns website are to lazy to put anything up yet.

Hopeless
I'm not sure if there is a disconnect between the club and the guys who look after website / social media side of things , because they are always a couple of days behind , hopefully s**t can get sorted out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL story said both until end of 2020, so 2 year extensions.

Joyce a no brainer and TheSchoen was always a project player. A bit slight, not much speed. Needed a few years to add some size and strength to his big tank.

Could be a good winger if he can get that higher top end speed. Good skills when he has the ball but looks a touch slow. Needs to be able to repeat sprint along the wing not just run up and down it. Agree that new staff must see something there. We certainly need more runners in the team.

So these are the senior listed players off contract in 2018:

Matt Rosa
Jarrod Harbrow (free agent)
Alex Sexton
Jesse Lonergan
Kade Kolodjashnij
Tom Lynch (free agent)
Michael Barlow
Jack Leslie
Tom Nicholls (free agent)
Sean Lemmens
Jarryd Lyons (unconfirmed)
Jarrod Witts (unconfirmed)
Aaron Hall
Michael Rischitelli (free agent)

It's also worth noting the increase in Queenslanders on the list:

Player Origin Breakdown
State | Total
\ Victoria | 17/45 (37.77%)
\ Queensland | 12/45 (26.66%)
\ Western Australia | 5/45 (11.11%)
\ South Australia | 4/45 (8.88%)
\ Tasmania | 4/45 (8.88%)
\ New South Wales | 1/45 (2.22%)
\ Northern Territory | 1/45 (2.22%)
\ Ireland | 1/45 (2.22%)

A bit more info on Queenslanders at the Suns:

No. | Player | Origin | Years at Club | Contracted To
\ 5 | Jarrod Harbrow | South Cairns | 8 Years (2011–) | 2018 \ 6 | Alex Sexton | Springwood | 7 Years (2012–) | 2018 \ 14 | Lachie Weller | Broadbeach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2021 \ 16 | Rory Thompson | Southport | 10 Years (2009–) | 2019 \ 18 | Brad Scheer | Palm Beach | 2 Years (2017–) | 2019 \ 29 | Jack Bowes | Cairns | 2 Years (2017–) | 2020 \ 32 | Brayden Crossley | Palm Beach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2019 \ 38 | Jesse Joyce | Palm Beach | 3 Years (2016–) | 2020 \ 40 | Jacob Heron | Cairns | 1 Year (2018–) | 2018 \ 42 | Connor Nutting | Broadbeach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2019 \ 43 | Max Spencer | Palm Beach | 2 Years (2017–) | 2018 \ 45 | Jacob Dawson | Palm Beach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2018
Rory Thompson is the only original still left on the list and he's entering his 10th competitive year at the club. Makes me think he should probably receive life membership.

AFL story said both until end of 2020, so 2 year extensions.

Joyce a no brainer and TheSchoen was always a project player. A bit slight, not much speed. Needed a few years to add some size and strength to his big tank.

Could be a good winger if he can get that higher top end speed. Good skills when he has the ball but looks a touch slow. Needs to be able to repeat sprint along the wing not just run up and down it. Agree that new staff must see something there. We certainly need more runners in the team.
sounds like you are describing Andrew Gaff...

A bit more info on Queenslanders at the Suns:

No. | Player | Origin | Years at Club | Contracted To
\ 5 | Jarrod Harbrow | South Cairns | 8 Years (2011–) | 2018 \ 6 | Alex Sexton | Springwood | 7 Years (2012–) | 2018 \ 14 | Lachie Weller | Broadbeach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2021 \ 16 | Rory Thompson | Southport | 10 Years (2009–) | 2019 \ 18 | Brad Scheer | Palm Beach | 2 Years (2017–) | 2019 \ 29 | Jack Bowes | Cairns | 2 Years (2017–) | 2020 \ 32 | Brayden Crossley | Palm Beach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2019 \ 38 | Jesse Joyce | Palm Beach | 3 Years (2016–) | 2020 \ 40 | Jacob Heron | Cairns | 1 Year (2018–) | 2018 \ 42 | Connor Nutting | Broadbeach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2019 \ 43 | Max Spencer | Palm Beach | 2 Years (2017–) | 2018 \ 45 | Jacob Dawson | Palm Beach | 1 Year (2018–) | 2018
Rory Thompson is the only original still left on the list and he's entering his 10th competitive year at the club. Makes me think he should probably receive life membership.
This post really makes me think we got the short end of the stick when it comes to the academy zones. We basically only get players from Gold Coast and Cairns which equates to less than a million people. Brisbane, GWS and Sydney all have more than double that population in their home city alone before you add in any of their regional zones. I also think we would have a tougher time trying to convince a junior from Cairns to relocate to the Goldy than say GWS would when trying to convince a kid from Canberra to relocate or likewise Brisbane with a junior from the Sunshine Coast.

This post really makes me think we got the short end of the stick when it comes to the academy zones. We basically only get players from Gold Coast and Cairns which equates to less than a million people. Brisbane, GWS and Sydney all have more than double that population in their home city alone before you add in any of their regional zones. I also think we would have a tougher time trying to convince a junior from Cairns to relocate to the Goldy than say GWS would when trying to convince a kid from Canberra to relocate or likewise Brisbane with a junior from the Sunshine Coast.

Did you include our parts of Northern and North West NSW as well in your figures?

Did you include our parts of Northern and North West NSW as well in your figures?
I hadn't but I can do so now, if you like. Gold Coast's current population is approx. 560k, Cairns is approx. 160k and our zonal cities in northern NSW equate to approx. 250k. That's just under a million people. However, Jarred Ellis is the only kid I can remember whose origin was south of the Tweed border.

I know we also have Townsville, approx. 190k, in our zone but they are nowhere near as interested in our great game as people are here or in Cairns. We also have central QLD where the locals are even less interested in our code of footy. So here we are basically relying on a population of 750k people to feed our pro team when all the other northern clubs have at least double the population we have.

I hadn't but I can do so now, if you like. Gold Coast's current population is approx. 560k, Cairns is approx. 160k and our zonal cities in northern NSW equate to approx. 250k. That's just under a million people. However, Jarred Ellis is the only kid I can remember whose origin was south of the Tweed border.

I know we also have Townsville, approx. 190k, in our zone but they are nowhere near as interested in our great game as people are here or in Cairns. We also have central QLD where the locals are even less interested in our code of footy. So here we are basically relying on a population of 750k people to feed our pro team when all the other northern clubs have at least double the population we have.
Population is only one factor you'd think
Would you rather have the one million people in Eastern Melbourne as your feeder or 10 million in Beijing?

Population is only one factor you'd think
Would you rather have the one million people in Eastern Melbourne as your feeder or 10 million in Beijing?
None of the above - Queensland natives a priority .......
Not against imports so long as they are committed long term.....

So a small catchment zone is a detriment ??
In 17er style Glass half full - a small community is close - they know each other well and will bond accordingly.
Its not the size of the Zone but the quality of the Zone....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back