Health Cutting sugar from diet

Remove this Banner Ad

My mate cut sugar and dropped 20kgs, without doing anything else.
While I didn't need to lose weight, I cut out the sugar to see if I'd feel better.
The first 2-3 weeks I felt flat all the time. Then all the sudden felt great. I now have consistent energy stream, not up and downs. Another strange thing was I put on a little muscle naturally. I'd actually gained quality weight.

That was Coke 'Life' with the green label.

I'm not convinced many products need as much sugar as they contain. Cup of tea with one tsp of sugar is sweet enough, can of iced tea has about 12 tsp worth in it.

Absolutely.

A home made iced coffee doesn't even need any extra sugar other than what's in the coffee syrup, spoon of ice cream, etc, and it often taste as sweet as a processed one that has 15tsp.

It's not about not having a sweet tooth, it's about getting rid of the s**t. Wtf is wrong with so many processed drinks that they need so much sugar? Cause it really doesn't taste like it.

My mate cut sugar and dropped 20kgs, without doing anything else.
While I didn't need to lose weight, I cut out the sugar to see if I'd feel better.
The first 2-3 weeks I felt flat all the time. Then all the sudden felt great. I now have consistent energy stream, not up and downs. Another strange thing was I put on a little muscle naturally. I'd actually gained quality weight.

Yep, a mate's dad had a coke addiction, probably half a dozen cans a day.

Made the switch to coke zero years ago and went from about 130kg to 110 in a matter of months, doing nothing else except changing coke to coke zero.

You want to tax an apple for having sugar?
No, not really, but only as they at least have some benefits over the stuff full of processed sugar. The issue is the Western world generally lives a high fat, high carb, low to moderate protein lifestyle. Most advice to lose the weight is go High carb, low fat, low protein, when low carb, high fat, moderate protein is much better. Of course once you aren't overweight a moderate amount of carbs is fine, but the food pyramid is laughable.

No, not really, but only as they at least have some benefits over the stuff full of processed sugar. The issue is the Western world generally lives a high fat, high carb, low to moderate protein lifestyle. Most advice to lose the weight is go High carb, low fat, low protein, when low carb, high fat, moderate protein is much better. Of course once you aren't overweight a moderate amount of carbs is fine, but the food pyramid is laughable.
Not to mention we keep getting told to eat less meat when that is wayyyy better for you than all processed foods

The carb vs fat vs protein thing gets pretty boring after a while. The biggest problem with diet in the western world is that we eat too much processed sh*t, and too much full stop.
Its not just the western world that have been brainwashed to consume sugar and processed foods!

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

The carb vs fat vs protein thing gets pretty boring after a while. The biggest problem with diet in the western world is that we eat too much processed sh*t, and too much full stop.
This right here. You don't maintain a 130kg body unless you continually eat enough food to maintain a 130kg body. And for the average person that is a lot more food than they should be eating.

People living in poverty (as in actual poverty, not 'I only have an iPhone 7' poverty) eat what they have access to. Rice, maize, plantain are plentiful high carb foods.
Yes i lived in a poor village at a desolate area of Indonesia for years and ate the same stuff.
There are millions of fat people in these countries eating junk food, msg & sugar !
Very naive to think "non western" people arent overeating sugar...

And we don't have active lives.

Going to a gym frequently is not a substitute for an active life. Boxing your activity into a schedule, can't compare to just being generally active. Playing a sport. Maintaining a garden. Playing with kids and animals. Parking the car and not using delivery or drive through.

Yes modern life has made some of that stuff hard, but also, never before have humans watched so much stuff and spent so much time seeking digital entertainment. We are living in 'the golden age of tv' ffs.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes i lived in a poor village at a desolate area of Indonesia for years and ate the same stuff.
There are millions of fat people in these countries eating junk food, msg & sugar !
Very naive to think "non western" people arent overeating sugar...

Amazing how many overweight local people I saw in Bali. Not all that well off either...
Then of course there were the really skinny ones.

I wouldn't actually cut sugar out i'd just cut back.
Going with a bit of balance here.
Your diet needs to be that of a balanced one. Once you play around with how much sugar is in things you will realise that you need to cut it back rather than cut it out.
For example if you drink a coffee and you normally had sugar in it and it started to go through you because you cut out the sugar. You might have to lower the amounts of sugar in your drink.

Also be really careful because many fruits have natural sugar in them.
Always see a nutricianist if you think that you've over done it.

I wouldn't actually cut sugar out i'd just cut back.
Going with a bit of balance here.
Your diet needs to be that of a balanced one. Once you play around with how much sugar is in things you will realise that you need to cut it back rather than cut it out.
For example if you drink a coffee and you normally had sugar in it and it started to go through you because you cut out the sugar. You might have to lower the amounts of sugar in your drink.

Also be really careful because many fruits have natural sugar in them.
Always see a nutricianist if you think that you've over done it.
Fruit has fructose, not same as sugar and its slower released because of the fibre.
Ive been wondering about this claim re: (Fruit & sugar)
Why is it that sugar has a detrimental effect on my health but eating big amounts of fruit make me feel better than anything & most healthy? I dont notice any negative effects, what am i missing ?

Fruit has fructose, not same as sugar and its slower released because of the fibre.
Ive been wondering about this claim re: (Fruit & sugar)
Why is it that sugar has a detrimental effect on my health but eating big amounts of fruit make me feel better than anything & most healthy? I dont notice any negative effects, what am i missing ?

Fructose is natural sugar. So for example you eat a banana it has fructose in it because that's what the seeds have in them when you grow banana trees and plants.
If you had a banana sandwich you might add maybe some sugar to it to take the bitterness off it.

Think of sugar like you do when you have to put the heater on. Sometimes you need to have sugar to take the bitter taste out of things. When it comes to using the heater you might have to take the chill off the air a bit. Might be 5 degrees over night and 26 the next day. When you get up you realise how cold it is and you put the heater on to take the chill out of the air.

And we don't have active lives.

Going to a gym frequently is not a substitute for an active life. Boxing your activity into a schedule, can't compare to just being generally active. Playing a sport. Maintaining a garden. Playing with kids and animals. Parking the car and not using delivery or drive through.
I'm not a gym guy and any general activity is very good but this is BS, weights are very good for health and fitness plus cardio in there for an hour a day would be plenty.

You don't need to cut sugar completely. Just cut back.

I made slight changes: smaller serves of sauce if I have meat or chips (1 teaspoon). Cut soft drink for soda water and a small spash diet lime cordial (Bickfords) for taste.

Since January I dropped 18kgs.

I probably have take out once a week and eat between 7am-6pm to allow time to fast.

It's amazing how much sugar turns you off once you bite the bullet and eliminate it from certain things.

I used to always have sugar in coffee, but made an effort to cut it out in my first year of uni, now if I taste a coffee with sugar it makes me feel ill.

Same with Coke, used to hate Coke Zero but now I much prefer it to regular coke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back