Draft Watcher D_P_S Draft Watch 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how players can magically go up and down without any games being played... but anyway :rolleyes:
Im fickle with how I rate players its changed a lot throughout the year, I had Will Donaghey as a top 30 prospect at the start of the year so yeah the way I rate players has changed a lot. That and going over my notes and some footage again and getting more detailed results on how they tested and interviewed has played a part.

Im fickle with how I rate players its changed a lot throughout the year, I had Will Donaghey as a top 30 prospect at the start of the year so yeah the way I rate players has changed a lot. That and going over my notes and some footage again and getting more detailed results on how they tested and interviewed has played a part.

Each to their own, but I prefer waiting until all games have concluded, all combines completed, AFL club trades done, and final club draft positions/selections determined.

Minimises scope for criticism (which is inevitable anyway).

Each to their own, but I prefer waiting until all games have concluded, all combines completed, AFL club trades done, and final club draft positions/selections determined.

Minimises scope for criticism (which is inevitable anyway).
I prefer to wait till after the draft itself. Works a treat every time.

I just don't see it with him, he has some nice attributes and he has played some great games as a forward at school level but im not so sure he could have the same output at AFL level. He is 188cm so he would play the 3rd tall role, for that role at AFL level im not sure his level of output would warrant a top 10 pick. I cant see him being a 40 goal a year forward or as a deadly 3rd tall defender and even if he played well in those roles im not sure those types of players are worth as much at their peak.
I don't think he's going top ten based entirely on his forward game though.

Scrimshaw went #7 in 2016 and frankly he’s a classic “zone-off” third tall defender.
I personally don't think he should have gone top 10 but he is that little bit taller than Murphy and I prefer him to Murphy in general. I just feel Murphy is stuck in an awkward spot with his size, if he was 190cm+ and could lift his running into the elite category id have him a lot higher or if he was that little bit quicker because for me he is more a mark and kick sort of player which is fine since he is a very good mark and kick but other than that I havnt seen anything else that makes him stick out for the next level.

You obviously know a lot more about the Sandringham boys and what they can be capable off and what clubs could be telling them about what role they would like him to play. At AFL level what position would you play him?

Nathan Murphy is still only 17 years old , He was born December 15 1999 and is already 188.3 cm and 80kgs

Murphy could easily grow another 3 cm and add 5 kgs becoming 191,192cm and 88kgs finished product - He is still very very young

Nat Fyfe was 186cm 73kgs when drafted
Jack Gunston was 190cm 74kgs when drafted

Bottom age players like Murphy not only have upside in playing ability but also in physical growth also

Nathan Murphy is still only 17 years old , He was born December 15 1999 and is already 188.3 cm and 80kgs

Murphy could easily grow another 3 cm and add 5 kgs becoming 191,192cm and 88kgs finished product - He is still very very young

Nat Fyfe was 186cm 73kgs when drafted
Jack Gunston was 190cm 74kgs when drafted

Bottom age players like Murphy not only have upside in playing ability but also in physical growth also
And that's where the club recruiters will do their research on these players some will ask kids how much body hair they have for crying out loud haha. Looking at the pre-season heights compared to their combine heights. Ryley Stoddart for example has grown 2cm since the start of the year and Charlie Ballard has shot up massively over 2 years. Murphy could grow more, or he couldn't I don't have that kind of information to determine whether he will or not.

I personally don't think he should have gone top 10 but he is that little bit taller than Murphy and I prefer him to Murphy in general. I just feel Murphy is stuck in an awkward spot with his size, if he was 190cm+ and could lift his running into the elite category id have him a lot higher or if he was that little bit quicker because for me he is more a mark and kick sort of player which is fine since he is a very good mark and kick but other than that I havnt seen anything else that makes him stick out for the next level.

You obviously know a lot more about the Sandringham boys and what they can be capable off and what clubs could be telling them about what role they would like him to play. At AFL level what position would you play him?

His combine running in the Yo-Yo was top 15 on the back of a schoolboy footy season and 10 weeks of TAC.

Pretty sure he can become an elite runner at AFL very quickly. I’d start him as a wingman and work on his speed as he tends to lope around and only use his pace when the ball is in close proximity.

His key attributes are being exceptionally clean below his knees, able to defend and attack and read the play to time his leads, intercept marks.

He is simply a natural sportsman (as annoying as it may be to many of us).

So you think he has some scope with his speed? Because that's the other thing that I feel he lacks for his position. I think you see what I see that he should be a defender so if he is playing that role what current AFL player would you say he plays like. The problem with being a 3rd tall is he will need that speed to get separation and to be able to play on the smalls down back, do you think his reading of the play down back can nullify that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think he has some scope with his speed? Because that's the other thing that I feel he lacks for his position. I think you see what I see that he should be a defender so if he is playing that role what current AFL player would you say he plays like. The problem with being a 3rd tall is he will need that speed to get separation and to be able to play on the smalls down back, do you think his reading of the play down back can nullify that?

Corey Enright

Corey Enright
That's a big call, Enright I believe found a bit more of the ball than Murphy has shown to do down back and Enright oozed leadership do you think he has what it takes to be a leader? Im not sure how he goes off the field but he looks the type to give it his all, im sure choosing AFL was a hard decision and he is ready for the tough commitments AFL requires.

That's a big call, Enright I believe found a bit more of the ball than Murphy has shown to do down back and Enright oozed leadership do you think he has what it takes to be a leader? Im not sure how he goes off the field but he looks the type to give it his all, im sure choosing AFL was a hard decision and he is ready for the tough commitments AFL requires.

You simply asked me who he plays like.

Not whose stats he matches or whether he has the capacity for that level of leadership.

The kid is 17. Who the hell knows what he will be like in 5 years’ time?

No one does.

Frankly that’s the amusing part about this whole board. We are speculating over mainly 17/18 year old footballers many of whom don’t physically mature completely for another 4 years, nor emotionally mature for another 8-10.

It’s an educated lottery, pure and simple.

You simply asked me who he plays like.

Not whose stats he matches or whether he has the capacity for that level of leadership.

The kid is 17. Who the hell knows what he will be like in 5 years’ time?

No one does.

Frankly that’s the amusing part about this whole board. We are speculating over mainly 17/18 year old footballers many of whom don’t physically mature completely for another 4 years, nor emotionally mature for another 8-10.

It’s an educated lottery, pure and simple.
I'm sure recruiters know that better than anybody, at the end of the day I can watch as much TAC as I want but that doesn't make me an expert or even close.

I ask a lot of these questions because I genuinely want to understand it more I'm always trying to pick the brains of guys like Kevin Sheehan and talking to him I realise I'm a long way off knowing anything about all this I can only do what I can.

I just don't see it with him, he has some nice attributes and he has played some great games as a forward at school level but im not so sure he could have the same output at AFL level. He is 188cm so he would play the 3rd tall role, for that role at AFL level im not sure his level of output would warrant a top 10 pick. I cant see him being a 40 goal a year forward or as a deadly 3rd tall defender and even if he played well in those roles im not sure those types of players are worth as much at their peak.
Rayner is in the pick 1 discussion and viewed by many as the top talent in this years draft crop. I don't see Rayner as being anything more than a medium forward, third tall in the modern game, albeit one who could score 40 goals a season.

Rayner is in the pick 1 discussion and viewed by many as the top talent in this years draft crop. I don't see Rayner as being anything more than a medium forward, third tall in the modern game, albeit one who could score 40 goals a season.
He will play some time in the middle at AFL level but will start of very similar to Petracca with limited time in the middle. Rayner genuinely has an impact in the middle and once he gets his fitness right he will be dominant at AFL level.

He will play some time in the middle at AFL level but will start of very similar to Petracca with limited time in the middle. Rayner genuinely has an impact in the middle and once he gets his fitness right he will be dominant at AFL level.
Only part I disagree with is spending limited time in the middle at start of his career. I think he'll only spend limited time in the middle right through his career.

A few surprises here and there, a few ive gone on gut feel and whats been rumoured on here and in social media. Ill be making one for the day before the draft aswell.

Bids for Naish, Ballenden, Shipley, Crossley and Brown included so if the pick numbers dont look right its because of bids.

Rolling Mock Draft - 17/11/2017
17th November 1st Round.PNG 17th November 2nd Round.PNG 17th November 3rd Round.PNG 17th November 4th Round.PNG

Hey DPS, you don't think the horrendous 2km time trial today from Cameron Rayner will put us off him, I have a feeling we will go with Brayshaw. Love Aiden Bonar and Lachlan Fogarty coming to us

Hey DPS, you don't think the horrendous 2km time trial today from Cameron Rayner will put us off him, I have a feeling we will go with Brayshaw. Love Aiden Bonar and Lachlan Fogarty coming to us
Rayner's running has been an issue from the very start of the year so I don't think his results have changed much. Like everyone I've got no idea who they favour at the moment but Brayshaw would be the safest bet. He hasn't put a foot wrong all year and he barely has any weaknesses from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back