Draft Watcher D_P_S Draft Watch 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert but just alot of good players this year both kings, lukosious and rankine then another great group which hill seems apart of.
From what I've seen and read in reports Hill would be either in, or on the verge of the top group, not towards the end of the second group.

Hey DPS thanks for the drafting thread. One question - what's the reasoning behind Hill at 10? From what I've seen he's fantastic and from what i've read is most peoples top 5.
I agree he does look fantastic as do a few others i like that are missing from my top 10 at the moment. The guys in the 5-9 range for me atm where lucky enough to play in the 17s All Stars game which Hill didnt play in so ive got a fresher memory on those kids. Being at 10 shouldn't be seen as a negative ive only seen him live once back at the champs and he played well enough just in that game to get my attention.

I agree he does look fantastic as do a few others i like that are missing from my top 10 at the moment. The guys in the 5-9 range for me atm where lucky enough to play in the 17s All Stars game which Hill didnt play in so ive got a fresher memory on those kids. Being at 10 shouldn't be seen as a negative ive only seen him live once back at the champs and he played well enough just in that game to get my attention.
thanks.

Is there any video of the u17 all stars game?

Yeah there seem to be about 10 or more who are good enough to be in the mix for a top 5 pick in most drafts, but if they all or mostly play to their potential next year 10 or more won't go into 5.

Right now, with 11 months more of growing, developing, not getting injured (touch wood), learning and playing good/bad/average......there’s got to be 30 or more who could end up top 10.

Nothing is guaranteed at this stage. Talls could slip, or surge. Outside mids might learn better inside craft. Inside mids might develop bigger tanks to push away from contests better.

This year is the one where they “come on” the most of any of their teenage years.

Anyone game enough that list/rank players this far out is gutsy, but on a hiding to nothing IMO.

Last edited:
Why is Dillion O'Reilly isn't being momented?

Already played league football, starred in a colts premiership and kicked 46 goals in 17 games.

Well he has been now.

Dillion (sp?) is no longer “isn’t” being “momented”.

Not the most auspicious start to BF Draft momenting, but you’ve got to start somewhere. Hopefully he gains some momentum from here.....

Excellent work. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Well he has been now.

Dillion (sp?) is no longer “isn’t” being “momented”.

Not the most auspicious start to BF Draft momenting, but you’ve got to start somewhere. Hopefully he gains some momentum from here.....

Excellent work. :thumbsu:
Glad you have a degree in West Australian sand script.

Why?

I interpreted it to be a ranking of the current 17y.o. Not, where the current 17y.o will be rated at the end of next year.

Nothing wrong with ranking the 17y.o at this point in time.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with doing it, I just fail to see the point TBH.

It’s all very academic at this stage. History shows that it’s primarily the 3-6 months leading into the draft when the recruiters really focus their efforts.

Yes, there’s players like Simpkin and Witherden who managed to buck the trend in 2016, but using Bonar as an example (and to a lesser extent Murphy and Richards this year), exposed form between May and September of your draft year must surely carry the greatest weight.

I guess I’m far more interested in where they go in November 2018 than where they might go if a fictitious draft were held in December 2017.

You would have to think that every club has a ranking of the underagers coming in to their top age year. It will be fluid, and not by any means comprehensive.

Knowing someone involved in recruiting and have done for close to a decade, clubs monitor kids from the U15's right through to there draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing someone involved in recruiting and have done for close to a decade, clubs monitor kids from the U15's right through to there draft year.
Yup I know and understand this. Heard plenty of recruiters mention it.

Mt comment was sort of a reply to the conversation going on directly before it, but I didn't bother quoting anyone in the post.

Yup I know and understand this. Heard plenty of recruiters mention it.

Mt comment was sort of a reply to the conversation going on directly before it, but I didn't bother quoting anyone in the post.

No doubt. I’m aware that several AFL clubs have employed existing u15/u16 TAC staff as part time scouts for that age group.

They’ll definitely keep tabs on kids from that age, but won’t scrutinize really seriously until they hit 16-17 years of age.

Had a chat yesterday with a long term AFL assistant coach who expressed surprise that his recruiting staff didn’t consider a very recent second round pick’s “lack of tank” to be an issue, yet another player taken later (who has been in recruiting conversations for years) slipped into the third round for that very reason.

The higher pick really came on in 2017, and basically “came from nowhere”.

Maybe being on recruiters’ radars from a young age can have its disadvantages!!!

Last edited:
Had a chat yesterday with a long term AFL assistant coach who expressed surprise that his recruiting staff didn’t consider a very recent second round pick’s “lack of tank” to be an issue,

The higher pick really came on in 2017, and basically “came from nowhere”.

!

So he's not a fan of Charlie COnstable eh?

So he's not a fan of Charlie COnstable eh?

Close but no cigar - and it’s more about weaknesses/RFIs being glossed over for one who is “new on the scene” and emerged late in 2017, but not for another.

I’m confident both will be long term AFL players in any event.

Maybe being on recruiters’ radars from a young age can have its disadvantages!!!
The longer your reviewed the more problems can be found, I think there is a case of clubs knowing too much about a player and passing on them. I feel a player like Luke Parker fits that mould as a player that did so many things right in his draft year yet still went later than he should have.

I think the main kicker is when the head recruiter really likes a certain player and that’s when you see players that aren’t on many radars for phantom drafters get taken early like Will Powell. If a recruiter has a soft spot for a player they will take them early without hesitation.

Whoever covered the GWV Rebels vs the Bendigo Pioneers game for the TAC Cup website clearly has NFI when doing the best players. They have Tom Berry as GWV Rebel's best when he only played a bit over a half of footy and while he kicked a couple of goals he was far from dominant. Very early in the 2nd half Tommy managed to wrap himself around a point post with his manic approach at the footy and ball carrier and took no further part in the game. Lochie Dawson was clearly best on for the Rebels and for the Bendigo Pioneers the powerfully built Key Forward Will Holt was outstanding with 5 goals.

Whoever covered the GWV Rebels vs the Bendigo Pioneers game for the TAC Cup website clearly has NFI when doing the best players. They have Tom Berry as GWV Rebel's best when he only played a bit over a half of footy and while he kicked a couple of goals he was far from dominant. Very early in the 2nd half Tommy managed to wrap himself around a point post with his manic approach at the footy and ball carrier and took no further part in the game. Lochie Dawson was clearly best on for the Rebels and for the Bendigo Pioneers the powerfully built Key Forward Will Holt was outstanding with 5 goals.
Pretty sure the coaches choose the best ons for the site unless I’m mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back