MRP / Trib. Dan Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Has improved this year, decision making not so slow as it was. Kicks don't appear to hang as much as they used to, he's worked out if you go fast/early there's more likely to be someone open for a medium length kick (and he has enough skill to consistently execute that kick). We lack physically bigger midfielders too.

Also in the right age for us where we are more than a bit short.

26yo still makes dumb mistakes under no pressure ....... wish him all the best. Would he be in the best 22 at one of the top 4 sides? Let’s be honest.

The best thing that ever happened to Dan Howe in terms of his perception on these boards was someone posting a rumour that Richmond (from memory) was having a sniff.

EDIT: This guy. I hope Dan's put your champagne reward in the post already.

Tom Morris (who??) reckons that Dan Howe wants to be traded to either Sydney or Richmond: AFL trade news, rumours, whispers: Brisbane Lions salary cap, Ollie Hanrahan Geelong, Callum Coleman-Jones Essendon, Mason Cox contract (foxsports.com.au) - you have to scroll through the live chat box to see.

Why would we want Howe? What kind of a role does he play? Is he a defender or a defensive mid? Howe has never registered on my radar but if we trade out George Hewett (who is an excellent, versatile mid with a strong defensive game) maybe Howe could be a cheap replacement to play reserves and be depth in case of injury? I figure I'm not underrating Howe if he's not first choice in your 22 currently. Fair?

26yo still makes dumb mistakes under no pressure ....... wish him all the best. Would he be in the best 22 at one of the top 4 sides? Let’s be honest.

To answer your question he was in a top 4 side in 2018. Could play through the middle or half back for a team lacking a bit of size and physicality

Dan's biggest limitation for mine is he appears slow to make a decision with ball in hand.
He has work rate, grunt, disposal is OK and has kicked a goal or two the couple of games.
But most importantly Dan puts others first and is prepared to sacrifice himself for team mates.

His trade value wont reflect his worth.
I think his “slow decision making” is because he waits for the best option to present itself rather than just bombing it long, when it doesn’t present he’s taken too long and has to rush it or gets caught. He also seems to be one who takes a few risks with his kicks.
I like his attacking mindset and I will take the good with the bad.
Never takes a backward step and always goes when it’s his turn.
He’s definitely in our best 22 right now and I’m sure the other players like playing in the same team as him.

To answer your question he was in a top 4 side in 2018. Could play through the middle or half back for a team lacking a bit of size and physicality

He was younger in 2018 ...... today at 26yo he just hasn’t come on. His decision making has always been poor. Forget about a top 4 side he would struggle to get a spot on North’s list! Each to their own I just don’t see what others see and it will be interesting to see what Sammy thinks because at the end of the day that’s what will matter.

Solid player but not the profile we need given our midfield mix.
We need to move on if we are offered a good return.
I'd take a second round pick and probably even early 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back