Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't draft Curtin to play the position Nicks wants him to play. Everyone knows this. No one from the club not even Curtin in any bit of PR said big bodied defender. Curtin was all about midfield and using his run of HB. He can't defend because he has never played it. Nicks is the one here going against the grain and only seeing height and immediately thinking big bodied defender.
That’s how be treated while Nicks is here then.

I just see him getting incredibly frustrated in the short term. Particularly if he wasn’t 100% on coming here to begin with, as many suspect.

1- Curtin had some goals kicked on him and struggled to defend 1-1.

2- He should have been moved, not subbed.

3 - He should not be dropped this week.
Spot on!

The inflexibility of our coaching group is hampering the development of our players.

They really lack the ability to think outside the square & make quick changes on game day.

We could have easily moved Jones back into defence rather than subbing Curtin.

Subbing Curtin off without giving him a different role is not going to give him great confidence.

Dropping him this week would be double-down stupid.

Curtin should have debuted in an easy game against North when Smith was out injured with a bad back. Play him into the game and ready him for a much tougher stretch against Port, Brisbane and Collingwood

Instead we chose to play Hamill who sucks and isn't currently (or ever will be) best 22

What? Basically every piece of media about Curtin before, on and after draft night referred to him as the best key defender in the draft, including from the club. Go read the AFC's press release on drafting him. This is just completely wrong.

The club has always referred to him as a defender, and sometimes also noted that he has played midfield and compared him to more versatile and aggressive defenders like Birchall.

Come on man. On one hand you want him to play midfield but then fail to grasp why big bodied players dont play midfield while criticising curtin for being slow. Ok I will concede key position, but if he is primarily been a swing man pinch hitting all over the ground as according to his draft profile, it hardly suggests he is seasoned 1:1 full back. If anything CHB in a running role to use his midfield run.

If we want him to be a big bodied BP he will be slow and live in the weights room. Thats how weights work. It also explains why he has been deep defence in the Sanfl.

Maybe Nicks wants to swing him forward down the track but putting on the size and bulk of a big bodied defender is going to rule him out of midfield.

Spot on!

The inflexibility of our coaching group is hampering the development of our players.

They really lack the ability to think outside the square & make quick changes on game day.

We could have easily moved Jones back into defence rather than subbing Curtin.

Subbing Curtin off without giving him a different role is not going to give him great confidence.

Dropping him this week would be double-down stupid.

Nicks got the excuse he wanted to drop him. Whether he does is yet to be seen. But based on history its most likely he will.

The best way to describe the Crows boards obsession with Nicks

'Play stupid games, win stupid prizes'

He will want more run against collingwood anyway so murphy and schoenberg would be front runners imo to come in.

Come on man. On one hand you want him to play midfield but then fail to grasp why big bodied players dont play midfield while criticising curtin for being slow. Ok I will concede key position, but if he is primarily been a swing man pinch hitting all over the ground as according to his draft profile, it hardly suggests he is seasoned 1:1 full back. If anything CHB in a running role to use his midfield run.

If we want him to be a big bodied BP he will be slow and live in the weights room. Thats how weights work. It also explains why he has been deep defence in the Sanfl.

Maybe Nicks wants to swing him forward down the track but putting on the size and bulk of a big bodied defender is going to rule him out of midfield.
Nobody is saying he's a seasoned 1:1 full back though, he's obviously not. I think he might be the best player who plays KPD in his draft year but he's clearly not the best key defender in his draft year, if that makes sense. I think they're trying to work on his deficiencies so he can be useful in the AFL team, rather than trying to make him a KPD. His strengths are obvious, but he needs to have level of defensive accountability in any role.

Anyway, I don't want him to play midfield, I want him to play whatever role he can perform in the team which emphasises his skills while he gets used to the AFL and matures. I don't know where he'll be in 5 years but I'm confident the role he's going to be best at right now will be third tall defender (eg Worrell) or rebounding half-back. I don't know if playing on McBean in the SANFL is the way to get there but I can at least see the logic behind it - it doesn't mean they want him to be our full back.

I don't think Nicks had a lot to do with Curtins recruitment. Its clear from the outset Hamish and Co wanted Curtin as he was a genuine star player in his position and they have always said with their first pick they will get the best player they can in the draft.

But Nicks, being the ever defensive minded individual, saw our lack of defensive height and immediately wanted our 197cm running player to be a big bodied defender. Curtin being a tall running mid/defender is probably is known more for his intercept and run of half back and being a 1:1 defender is not something he ever has known.
Just out of interest can you remember which team was the highest scoring team last year? Little hint - the fist team in something like 40 years to be a non finalist but have the highest points for.

Just a ridiculous statement.

Great summary

Draftees are not the finished product .....most have limited defensive skills, and the commentary around Curtin has been about honing his defensive skills, not just as a DEF, but in any role he plays in the future
Except man children like Daniel Rich and Lachie Jones.

That relies on a coach interested in playing him midfield first. This has never been Nicks. He is predictable and he has only ever seen Curtin as a tall big bodied defender.
Will you and George apologise and take back all these comments if the club confirms they see him as a potential mid longer term? I will give you a definitive answer on July 7th

We didn't draft Curtin to play the position Nicks wants him to play. Everyone knows this. No one from the club not even Curtin in any bit of PR said big bodied defender. Curtin was all about midfield and using his run of HB. He can't defend because he has never played it. Nicks is the one here going against the grain and only seeing height and immediately thinking big bodied defender.
Just too funny. How many of these would you like?

Daniel Curtin

POS: Key defender/forward
Ht 197cm, Wt 95kg, DOB 8/3/05
From Claremont/Western Australia

Where Curtin ends up going is the major talking point of the top 10 heading into Monday night. The key defender is a fascinating case as the leading tall backman in the pool – and he has had huge interest through the year. But where does he end up landing? Could it get this far? The Cats would jump at taking Curtin if he is available at their pick given they don't have many other key-position players of his age on their list.

The club was pretty clear when Curtin was selected that they saw him as a defender initially who had the potential to become a winger/midfielder later in his career.

Yes, they touted his ball use and his offensive traits, etc, but they still said they expected him to start off as a defender at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club was pretty clear when Curtin was selected that they saw him as a defender initially who had the potential to become a winger/midfielder later in his career.

Yes, they touted his ball use and his offensive traits, etc, but they still said they expected him to start off as a defender at AFL level.
In fact, he sees himself as a defender, and said as much when asked.

WW posted an interview back on post 855 earlier in this thread. Some initial notes I made included

Thanks WW. Listened whilst driving just now. Interview was from 1/8/23. A few highlights from memory:

• Mentioned playing defence but also very open to midfield (“love the idea of midfield too” after being asked if defence is his position) and he enjoyed learning midfield craft over last 1-2 years. Has worked on right foot skills after each training after having his mates joking he had no right foot.
  • in defence focus has been improving his marking. Enjoyed duels with Walter at Nationals and thought he did well against him but said he is a cracking player. I remember hearing Walter say that Curtin was also his toughest opponent,

What a strange thread. Comments like 'he'll never be a defender' and 'he can't defend' for a 19 yr old, 2 games into his career, who was the All Australian CHB last year, captained Claremont Colts to a premiership mainly as a KPD and played for Claremont's senior side as a KPD. People saying he should be moved to half forward(!?) show a lack of football knowledge. Half forward in the modern game is a very difficult role to play and is often football wilderness; not at all suited to a key position height rookie. Given he's not ever going to play there, would be a bizarre development decision.

Yes he had a bad night against the Lions but that half of football does not define his career to date nor going forward. Tall guys generally find the introduction to AFL more difficult and despite some injuries and a slow start to the year, Brisbane are one of the best attacks in the comp. The decisions to sub him were correct, development is important but winning games has to be the priority when finals are still possible.

He had a few good runs in the midfield at Colts level and imagine no one's ruling out his playing there in the future but he's 197cm. I remember when everyone was talking about TT playing as a mid but I doubt anyone now thinks that's going to happen, despite his decent speed and ability below his knees. Let him develop in defence where he can see the game in front of him, work on his defensive craft and hopefully have a few runs up forward and in the middle.

Let's chill a little on the hyperbole.

What a strange thread. Comments like 'he'll never be a defender' and 'he can't defend' for a 19 yr old, 2 games into his career, who was the All Australian CHB last year, captained Claremont Colts to a premiership mainly as a KPD and played for Claremont's senior side as a KPD. People saying he should be moved to half forward(!?) show a lack of football knowledge. Half forward in the modern game is a very difficult role to play and is often football wilderness; not at all suited to a key position height rookie. Given he's not ever going to play there, would be a bizarre development decision.

Yes he had a bad night against the Lions but that half of football does not define his career to date nor going forward. Tall guys generally find the introduction to AFL more difficult and despite some injuries and a slow start to the year, Brisbane are one of the best attacks in the comp. The decisions to sub him were correct, development is important but winning games has to be the priority when finals are still possible.

He had a few good runs in the midfield at Colts level and imagine no one's ruling out his playing there in the future but he's 197cm. I remember when everyone was talking about TT playing as a mid but I doubt anyone now thinks that's going to happen, despite his decent speed and ability below his knees. Let him develop in defence where he can see the game in front of him, work on his defensive craft and hopefully have a few runs up forward and in the middle.

Let's chill a little on the hyperbole.
Has anyone said he will never be a defender? The question is why have we spent another 10 pick on a defender when we need midfielders?

When he was drafted we all hoped with the midfield time he had played the club had drafted him with the idea we’ve drafted a tall mid. But you’ve said it yourself, he might get some runs in the middle but don’t hold your breath.

The club is trying to improve his defensive skills, that’s why he was playing on key forwards in the SANFL where he also struggled to defend.

As for half forward, what’s the difference with a 197cm playing half forward compared to any other first rounder like Pedlar? If anything I believe he would be a difficult match up with his height, let him play a Tom Lynch type role where he can move up and down the ground. With his height he gives a good marking option when we are moving the ball up the ground. With his leg, it would be a weapon when delivering to our forwards and shots on goal.

Has anyone said he will never be a defender? The question is why have we spent another 10 pick on a defender when we need midfielders?

When he was drafted we all hoped with the midfield time he had played the club had drafted him with the idea we’ve drafted a tall mid. But you’ve said it yourself, he might get some runs in the middle but don’t hold your breath.

The club is trying to improve his defensive skills, that’s why he was playing on key forwards in the SANFL where he also struggled to defend.

As for half forward, what’s the difference with a 197cm playing half forward compared to any other first rounder like Pedlar? If anything I believe he would be a difficult match up with his height, let him play a Tom Lynch type role where he can move up and down the ground. With his height he gives a good marking option when we are moving the ball up the ground. With his leg, it would be a weapon when delivering to our forwards and shots on goal.
"being a 1:1 defender is not something he ever has known"
"He's never going to be a defensive player, and we shouldn't be playing him as one"
"He can't defend because he has never played it"

A few examples from just the last couple of pages of a 50+ page thread.

We absolutely need mids and am sure that was the plan - imagine Darcy Wilson was our guy if Curtin didn't drop. But when you get access to a talent like Curtin, who a lot had as no. 2 behind Harley, then you take it. Maybe they still think he could develop that way but he's not playing in the midfield now as a 19 year old with just a couple of runs in the Colts behind him. Just a tiny bit of patience here.

Playing him as an AFL half forward when he's never played there before and won't be playing there in the future, is straight up silly and won't happen.

Have not seen one defensive contest (sanfl or afl) where he hasn’t looked all at sea to be honest. Strange given he was a highly touted KPD. Would be far better utilised across half back or wing IMO. He’s a ball in hand player. Not a stopper. A Grant Birchall.

So well played to Fagan for dragging to him to the last line. Completely exposed. I suspect this is why nicks doesn’t want to play him.

Here’s a thought, Nicksy. Get creative. Give him the ball. Take that hack Jones off instead. Do something. Anything, you rigid, stubborn a hole.

I'll be pissed if he ends up a defender, even a half back

Top 10 players need to be midfielders or forward of the ball. And Curtin was absolutely touted as capable of those roles

Chucking him into defense as a KPD playing 30m out from defensive goal because he's 197cm is boring, safe, loser thinking

That’s how be treated while Nicks is here then.

I just see him getting incredibly frustrated in the short term. Particularly if he wasn’t 100% on coming here to begin with, as many suspect.

Stop sprouting this crap. It is factually incorrect. He was ecstatic to come here and I stated that not long after we drafted him. He has family in Adelaide and was more worried about being drafted to Vic.

Stop sprouting this crap. It is factually incorrect. He was ecstatic to come here and I stated that not long after we drafted him. He has family in Adelaide and was more worried about being drafted to Vic.
“If” “as many suspect”

I didn’t read as much into his reaction on draft night as some. Can’t really be bothered speculating on that.

I’d say he’d have much preferred to stay in Perth though. We’ll find out how happy he is to be here in due course.

“If” “as many suspect”

I didn’t read as much into his reaction on draft night as some. Can’t really be bothered speculating on that.

I’d say he’d have much preferred to stay in Perth though. We’ll find out how happy he is to be here in due course.
Lol, interesting back track. You are still speculating on something incorrect, don't use what others think as your shield.

Who would love to be drafted away from their hometown? Name one player.

Things may change on his end, especially if Nicks keeps leaving him out to dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back