Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what this obsession is with playing this kid where he hasn't played before. He would get massacred in the ruck.

He's a defender. Let's play him there. If he has to play in the SANFL until he's strung more than 1 good game together and worked on his defensive craft, then cool. We didn't draft him for this year.

Take a look through the other talls taken in the 1st round last year - there's a small handful of games between them and no one has had a major impact. It's just how it goes with talls. Do you think the fans at the other clubs and having major meltdowns because Connor O'Sullivan or Jordan Croft or whoever isn't playing every week?

Games are earned at AFL. If they're given away based on where a player was drafted, that club will fail.

Need to chill.

Thats not the argument. No one is upset he is playing Sanfl. The argument is he struggled in the Sanfl as a deep defender. The Sanfl coaching team then moved him to a running position where he dominated. He was promoted to the AFL on the back of that game, only to be played as a deep defender. Then subbed when he was clearly out of his depth without giving him at least a quarter in the position he is confident at.

Thats not the argument. No one is upset he is playing Sanfl. The argument is he struggled in the Sanfl as a deep defender. The Sanfl coaching team then moved him to a running position where he dominated. He was promoted to the AFL on the back of that game, only to be played as a deep defender. Then subbed when he was clearly out of his depth without giving him at least a quarter in the position he is confident at.
"No one is upset he is playing Sanfl." - Have you read this thread at all?!

He wasn't necessarily playing as a deep defender but he was definitely pulled there regularly by the Brisbane coaching team who unsurprisingly had done their homework on him. And it got them 2 points they wouldn't have got otherwise. If you're playing in defence - anywhere in defence, you need to be able to play on the last line. It's going to happen. Following that performance, every opposition team is going to do that to him even if he plays on ball or on a wing. He's going to have to work it out.

I think some have missed the point of my move to ruck

Its not permanent

Its done to bring someone into the game. He isnt a midget he is 3cm shorter than Himmelberg and 3cm taller than Tex ( who we DO use as a ruck option)

It is not to get him bashed pillar to post but to get him into the centre square and compete

Its happened for the last 50 years where an out of form player is given a run in the middle to involve them. I think Tex and Fevola come to mind

But thanks for the feedback

Had a random thought while looking at the RoB thread

Was or is putting Curtin in the ruck an option at times? Just to give him a run and feel of the game

The talk around where do we play him if he is struggling like he did in defence : never mentioned rucking as an option to get him going

Just a random thought
He attended a ruck contest in the SANFL and won a hitout, I believe. So I guess it's not completely out of nowhere.

Personally I'd like him to just play in defence and work on his game. Either in the AFL if we can manage that, otherwise in the SANFL.

I'm not sure sticking him in a position to get battered and bruised by much larger players is the best option for him. He'd get monstered in the ruck.

The obvious way to get him in the game is already right there in front of us - he takes Worrell's spot. Plays loose at times, minds a third or fourth KPD at times, and is used offensively on the rebound.
With Worrell out we need someone yo play that role for a while. Let’s see how he goes.

The sooner we get AFL games into him, the sooner he is likely to become a very good AFL player. Also, the sooner we work out what is his best role.

Given our year is Kentucky fried, we need to prioritise playing our best young talent or this year will be another complete waste.

The sooner we get AFL games into him, the sooner he is likely to become a very good AFL player. Also, the sooner we work out what is his best role.

Given our year is Kentucky fried, we need to prioritise playing our best young talent or this year will be another complete waste.
They won’t do that, we’re still mathematical. And once we’re not they still won’t prioritise development.

Laird and Crouch will play out the year in the centre square. Harry, Berry, Taylor, Dowling, Edwards be damned.

They have no idea what to do with Curtin. He’ll get the Worrell treatment, sans clarity on what his actual position is.

They’re idiots. With a bit of class in the midfield now (I say now, reality is this could have been our midfield last year) there’s a skeleton of a good side. Nows the time to put the hammer down and complete it.

But they won’t. Snail pace development, conservative selection, tenure over talent, et cetera, et cetera will prevail.

"No one is upset he is playing Sanfl." - Have you read this thread at all?!

He wasn't necessarily playing as a deep defender but he was definitely pulled there regularly by the Brisbane coaching team who unsurprisingly had done their homework on him. And it got them 2 points they wouldn't have got otherwise. If you're playing in defence - anywhere in defence, you need to be able to play on the last line. It's going to happen. Following that performance, every opposition team is going to do that to him even if he plays on ball or on a wing. He's going to have to work it out.

I love how this board is willing to spam a nonsensical 'goal count' against a second game player to place single handed blame on him for a result where we didn't even play him in the second half to justify dropping him, but thinks nothing of senior players like Keays making the critical mistake that cost us the game against Collingwood.

We'll be dropping those seniors to the SANFL I guess? They simply can't play until they learn not to ever cost the team again?

They won’t do that, we’re still mathematical. And once we’re not they still won’t prioritise development.

Laird and Crouch will play out the year in the centre square. Harry, Berry, Taylor, Dowling, Edwards be damned.

They have no idea what to do with Curtin. He’ll get the Worrell treatment, sans clarity on what his actual position is.

They’re idiots. With a bit of class in the midfield now (I say now, reality is this could have been our midfield last year) there’s a skeleton of a good side. Nows the time to put the hammer down and complete it.

But they won’t. Snail pace development, conservative selection, tenure over talent, et cetera, et cetera will prevail.

Crouch, Laird, Smigh, Ned, Jones and Murph will play out this year. And the next. Can’t beak up the band. Nicks is a winner.

I love how this board is willing to spam a nonsensical 'goal count' against a second game player to place single handed blame on him for a result where we didn't even play him in the second half to justify dropping him, but thinks nothing of senior players like Keays making the critical mistake that cost us the game against Collingwood.

We'll be dropping those seniors to the SANFL I guess? They simply can't play until they learn not to ever cost the team again?
There's a difference between a player who is generally a positive contributor to the team making an error and someone demonstrating that they aren't yet up to playing the role asked of them at all. Besides, the majority of posts on here about Curtin after that game were angry at Nicks for subbing him, not blaming Curtin for conceding a whole bunch of goals in a game that ended as a draw.

Now if your example was McHenry being generally crap pretty much all the time rather than Keays having a shot for goal when he probably shouldn't have and getting smothered, you might have a point. Yes, McHenry should be dropped and replaced with someone good. Curtin will still need to learn to defend at some point though, even after we hopefully drop McHenry.

We’ve never been strategic and committed enough to be in position for a Harley Reid. It doesn’t just happen
Ya it was more tongue in cheek than anything. But you can almost imagine us scoring a Harley or JHF and seeing them languish in the SANFL while we continued to play McHenry and Co.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what this obsession is with playing this kid where he hasn't played before. He would get massacred in the ruck.

He's a defender. Let's play him there. If he has to play in the SANFL until he's strung more than 1 good game together and worked on his defensive craft, then cool. We didn't draft him for this year.

Take a look through the other talls taken in the 1st round last year - there's a small handful of games between them and no one has had a major impact. It's just how it goes with talls. Do you think the fans at the other clubs and having major meltdowns because Connor O'Sullivan or Jordan Croft or whoever isn't playing every week?

Games are earned at AFL. If they're given away based on where a player was drafted, that club will fail.

Need to chill.
Form is irrelevant to nicks. He doesn't care. One of the many things wrong with him.

Ya it was more tongue in cheek than anything. But you can almost imagine us scoring a Harley or JHF and seeing them languish in the SANFL while we continued to play McHenry and Co.
Really can't. We drafted Soligo in the same draft as JHF at pick 36 instead of pick 1 and he's played 2 fewer games than JHF has - 47 vs 49. That's a late second round pick. The idea that we'd pick an elite mid with a top draft pick and just not play them is totally made up, you can just look at what the club has done recently and see it isn't true.

Maybe if we are talking about a Rozee type who needed a lot of physical development I could imagine us leaving them in the SANFL for a while, or a key forward like Cadman or something, but not with the types of players you're talking about.

Last edited:

Keays also missed a sitter because he’s got no right foot

This is the argument. Play him in the role he was drafted for and played brilliantly at Sanfl level. Not sure how deep defence became the priority for him.

I think we'd be shocked if we actually analysed our defence record as to how many times a defender has cost us more than 5 goals a game and played next week. Remember, the highest goal kicker in a side generally is around 3-4 goals. Players rotate on multiple players a game and in games where the opposition scores 12-15 goals or more, bet your arse we had defenders butchered. Its totally daft to blame Curtin for those goals like its some abhorration that shouldn't be tolerated.

Keays also missed a sitter because he’s got no right foot

It’s a chalk and cheese comparison though. Keays did a lot of good work during the game - set up other scores, quietened down the hottest player on the ground

Curtin just looked out of his depth - like completely out of his depth

Having said that - I would love to see him backed in this week in the Worrell role given WC have a more suitable match up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mitch McGovern likes this.

intro-1667318305.jpg

Our defence had one of it's worst games for the year, particularly early... yet the coaches didn't act quickly to change matchups.

Most of our defenders were struggling!

Why didn't we swap Butts on to Daniher as Keane was having his worst game for the year? Keane could then go on to Hipwood.

Curtin shouldn't be playing on the last line.

Why did it take Worrell's injury to send Jones back to add more ability lockdown?

Our coaches really struggle to act quickly on the day when needed, which is a major concern as I don't think they have the smarts.
There’s a plan. You stick to the plan.

This is true for selection and game day moves.

There's a difference between a player who is generally a positive contributor to the team making an error and someone demonstrating that they aren't yet up to playing the role asked of them at all. Besides, the majority of posts on here about Curtin after that game were angry at Nicks for subbing him, not blaming Curtin for conceding a whole bunch of goals in a game that ended as a draw.

Now if your example was McHenry being generally crap pretty much all the time rather than Keays having a shot for goal when he probably shouldn't have and getting smothered, you might have a point. Yes, McHenry should be dropped and replaced with someone good. Curtin will still need to learn to defend at some point though, even after we hopefully drop McHenry.

Except Keays is a repeat offender big moment blower, who has a long term habit of getting blinkers and taking outrageous shots at goal well beyond his ability.

If we're prepared to hang a two game player by trying to single handedly blame him for a game we gave up by dropping a lead in the last two minutes when he hadn't been on the field for an entire half, why can't Ben be held accountable too?

By the way, the idea that Keays is the 'chalk and cheese' example because of his hard running or whatever over Curtin is exactly the problem with our clubs culture.

We think that the hard working battling types are the ones that deserve exceptions from accountability, the ones to give latitude to. Not the high ceiling early draft picked potential elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back