Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Except Keays is a repeat offender big moment blower, who has a long term habit of getting blinkers and taking outrageous shots at goal well beyond his ability.

If we're prepared to hang a two game player by trying to single handedly blame him for a game we gave up by dropping a lead in the last two minutes when he hadn't been on the field for an entire half, why can't Ben be held accountable too?
Who thinks Curtin is single-handedly to blame? Curtin was put in a low responsibility defensive role and was exposed by the opposition because his defensive skills aren't there yet. I don't think anyone realised before the game quite how badly he would be exposed, which left the coaching staff scrambling for answers and they subbed him out to limit the damage. We ended up drawing the game, and obviously would have been in a much better position to win it if we'd picked someone like Hamill instead of Curtin, which is what they did the next game as a response. It's not Curtin's fault and I'm sure he'll improve. I'd like to see him brought back in to try Worrell's role and see how it goes.

Keays on the other hand is an established player who is an important part of the team. One of our leading goalkickers in the last year and one of our primary sources of forward pressure. He also has weaknesses obviously but we'd only consider dropping him if we felt like his contributions weren't good enough overall. I agree he has an issue with going for shots beyond his capabilities at times but if you look at his contributions as a whole he's obviously worth a spot in the side. It's got nothing to do with the Curtin issue.

Who thinks Curtin is single-handedly to blame? Curtin was put in a low responsibility defensive role and was exposed by the opposition because his defensive skills aren't there yet. I don't think anyone realised before the game quite how badly he would be exposed, which left the coaching staff scrambling for answers and they subbed him out to limit the damage. We ended up drawing the game, and obviously would have been in a much better position to win it if we'd picked someone like Hamill instead of Curtin, which is what they did the next game as a response. It's not Curtin's fault and I'm sure he'll improve. I'd like to see him brought back in to try Worrell's role and see how it goes.

Keays on the other hand is an established player who is an important part of the team. One of our leading goalkickers in the last year and one of our primary sources of forward pressure. He also has weaknesses obviously but we'd only consider dropping him if we felt like his contributions weren't good enough overall. I agree he has an issue with going for shots beyond his capabilities at times but if you look at his contributions as a whole he's obviously worth a spot in the side. It's got nothing to do with the Curtin issue.
yep, why they didn't give him a run/exposure in some different roles before the sub is mind boggling.
Two more years!

Who thinks Curtin is single-handedly to blame?

We're really pretending people haven't been hamming this up?

Just from the last page:

"No one is upset he is playing Sanfl." - Have you read this thread at all?!

He wasn't necessarily playing as a deep defender but he was definitely pulled there regularly by the Brisbane coaching team who unsurprisingly had done their homework on him. And it got them 2 points they wouldn't have got otherwise. If you're playing in defence - anywhere in defence, you need to be able to play on the last line. It's going to happen. Following that performance, every opposition team is going to do that to him even if he plays on ball or on a wing. He's going to have to work it out.

I don't think arguing that we would have won if we'd picked someone else or that Curtin needs to be able to defend or he will be consistently exposed is saying Curtin is single-handedly responsible for the result. The game ended with a difference of 0 points so when worst on was a defender who gave up a bunch of goals in the first half it's fair to say their negative influence vs another potential player is worth some number of points.

It's not all on Curtin. The rest of the team could have done more, coaching could have been better to minimise his exposure etc. And he's a 2nd game player, you accept that he's a risk of having a shocker. Good teams carry young players all the time and win anyway. But nevertheless I think we can acknowledge with the benefit of hindsight that given where we are at as a team we probably win that one if we pick Hamill or Nank instead in the same role.

Our coaches will believe that picking Curtin cost us the Brisbane game.

They won't look at us being 2-6 without him. That's completely irrelevant to them.
We're actually undefeated with Curtin in the team

(And winless with Murphy)

We're actually undefeated with Curtin in the team

(And winless with Murphy)
And we were winning the Brisbane game until they subbed off Curtin, despite him conceding 18 goals to his direct opponent

Any decent club finds a way to get games into their high end talent asap.

Even moreso when not contending for finals... there is no excuse!

If coaches feel their career is on the line... then goodbye.

Developing a playing squad to win a flag is more important than self preservation.

Tbh Brisbane no doubt isolated his match up. He played on what should’ve been their 4th/5th target and had about 4 one on ones in 5 minutes. Problem with our backline that game was there was no leadership, everyone too focussed with their roles we left him out to dry. Smith as the loose showed how cooked and useless he is.
An intelligent coaching group would have swapped Jones with Curtin as soon as this became obvious.

Unfortunately our coaching group are not smart on game day.

Here you go old son. 10 minutes to raise your spirits and not lose Faith after his first 150 minutes of footy.

Weagles and Freo both rated him top 2-3 last year (as per Weagles Board member) and Angry Alistair met with him the day before the draft which you don’t do unless you are some decent chance at getting picked at 2 or 3 the following day. Finallly Walter rated him as his hardest match up during the Nationals.

I watched the video to half way through and had to turn it off. Too frustrating.

Someone needs to get a VHS of this and smash nicks over the head with it until he realises this kid is a midfielder. Not a defender. Just because he’s ****ing tall - derp…

Why do we seem so keen to **** around with our talent?

Tex - Not playing until he learns to keep his opponent boundary side
Fog - He'll learn plenty from being a defender
Curts- He has to learn how to defend

Seriously how many ****ing times, how many ****ing times do we need to do the same stupid ****ing thing to work out

THEY ARE NOT DEFENDERS

Is there someone at the club who can point that out to Nicks because he is doing the same ****ing shit that got his predecessors sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here you go old son. 10 minutes to raise your spirits and not lose Faith after his first 150 minutes of footy.

Weagles and Freo both rated him top 2-3 last year (as per Weagles Board member) and Angry Alistair met with him the day before the draft which you don’t do unless you are some decent chance at getting picked at 2 or 3 the following day. Finallly Walter rated him as his hardest match up during the Nationals.

Great vision, great close-in evasive skill, great kick and glides along the ground so is quicker than he looks.
Once he picks up the pace of AFL he'll be a star as long as he doesn't get the lock down role on small or gorilla forwards.
Should be a running half back replacing Smith, and then transition to a tall midfielder like a Petracca or Bont.

1.20 commentator says '' primarily known as a defender''

His first few minutes look to be in the defensive zone - but looked to be more higher than BP - though one release was from their

I will watch the rest later but he does indeed need to be a free player rather than lockdown

The thing with lockdown mentality is you forget to be an option and that can hurt a team more

The club said that saw him as a player who would start off as a key defender and could potentially move into the midfield in the future.
We have a statue of Daniel Talia alongside Neil's one inside the clubrooms

The club said that saw him as a player who would start off as a key defender and could potentially move into the midfield in the future.
I’m wondering if any player has ever turned from a key defender to a midfielder?
Cannot think of one?
We’ve either over spent on a defender or he’s never going to make a good key defender imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back