Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m wondering if any player has ever turned from a key defender to a midfielder?
Cannot think of one?
We’ve either over spent on a defender or he’s never going to make a good key defender imo.
Smart & Chad Cornes could do both.

I reckon bring Curtin back in this week, isolate him on Waterman, sub him out at quarter time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What’s s**t is that for a second there I thought would Nicks actually do that to teach him a lesson? Hope he gets a game and plays on Ryan Maric high up the ground on a HBF. Waterman and a resting Harley will be our deepest forwards. Curtin vs Maric with the bulk of the contests on the 50 arc and wing would a great match up to watch.

Could we not just play him in place of Himmelberg this week? Or is Chris Burgess' five ruck contests more important?

Smart & Chad Cornes could do both.
Smart Could play Full back, CHB, Half back, Wing, CHF and full forward.

I still say that his 1993 season was one of the best. Was watching my 93 highlight video yesterday and the move of him from CHB to CHF against Footscray was one of the best ideas Cornes had. Smart was too mobile for any key defender. And too big for any mid/small defender. Blight tried to play small Steven Hocking on him and Smarty kicked 5. Mods kicks one only for the day. Smarty goes on to spend the rest of the year at chf. Kicks 4 in our first ever final.

Could we not just play him in place of Himmelberg this week? Or is Chris Burgess' five ruck contests more important?
I'd rather play him in place of Brodie Smith. He doesn't need to be a KPD, let him play HBF where he's not having to stand a giant key forward and has some licence to run and use the ball. I'd like to see how we look with Curtin and Hinge coming off half back. Who am I kidding, I just want to see us without Brodie Smith stinking the place up, but not much chance of that.

I'd rather play him in place of Brodie Smith. He doesn't need to be a KPD, let him play HBF where he's not having to stand a giant key forward and has some licence to run and use the ball. I'd like to see how we look with Curtin and Hinge coming off half back. Who am I kidding, I just want to see us without Brodie Smith stinking the place up, but not much chance of that.
This is my preference too. Playing him in the same side as Smith doesn't really help as Smith still gets that easy role where they look to dish off to him. Give that to Curtin and get him going.

This is my preference too. Playing him in the same side as Smith doesn't really help as Smith still gets that easy role where they look to dish off to him. Give that to Curtin and get him going.
Stop making so much sense. This club doesn’t roll that way.

Smart Could play Full back, CHB, Half back, Wing, CHF and full forward.

I still say that his 1993 season was one of the best. Was watching my 93 highlight video yesterday and the move of him from CHB to CHF against Footscray was one of the best ideas Cornes had. Smart was too mobile for any key defender. And too big for any mid/small defender. Blight tried to play small Steven Hocking on him and Smarty kicked 5. Mods kicks one only for the day. Smarty goes on to spend the rest of the year at chf. Kicks 4 in our first ever final.

Nigel Smart is criminally underrated as a player.

Started as a wingman at South Adelaide, and grew into a genuine weapon that could be deployed anywhere

I remember someone talking about Blight as a player (I forget who, but it was a god like figure of the game) and he said what blight so good was he was AA as FB, FF and as ruck rover - and no one else could have done.

This was in the mid 1990’s and my first reaction was Nigel Smart could. He was not only Swiss Army knife versatile, he was good enough to be a weapon in any of them

James Hird was another

Players like that are rare like rocking horse shit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started as a wingman at South Adelaide, and grew into a genuine weapon that could be deployed anywhere

I remember someone talking about Blight as a player (I forget who, but it was a god like figure of the game) and he said what blight so good was he was AA as FB, FF and as ruck rover - and no one else could have done.

This was in the mid 1990’s and my first reaction was Nigel Smart could. He was not only Swiss Army knife versatile, he was good enough to be a weapon in any of them

James Hird was another

Players like that are rare like rocking horse s**t

Well Smart played in an era that was overshadowed by Modra, Riccuito, McLeod and Jarman and his talents probably got hidden a bit. But yeah, he was every bit a genuine star player.

Well Smart played in an era that was overshadowed by Modra, Riccuito, McLeod and Jarman and his talents probably got hidden a bit. But yeah, he was every bit a genuine star player.
I think a lot only remember his last couple of declining years.

Or are coloured by his stint as COO and the eSports initiative.

I think a lot only remember his last couple of declining years.

Or are coloured by his stint as COO and the eSports initiative.

I call it the Sloane affect. Sloane being the most recent player who was an outright genuine star of the competition to be relegated to a below average career status merely because of his last couple of years. Its amazing really. But the generational divide probably plays a part. 60-70% of the people on this site probably were very young when Smart finished up. I was lucky enough to be in my teens during the Crows 90s era. So I got to see it all. When people dont see players from the past play, they naturally assume the current players are better and careers can be written off because of their off field demeanour. There would be people on here who never saw Burton play but assume he was crap.

McGuiness and McDermott are more examples of being criminally underrated by modern crows fans. Even Andrew Jarman probably doesn't get the love he should either.

James Hird was another

Players like that are rare like rocking horse s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back