Scape Goat Daniel Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno mate, but it sounds like you know the guy personally and are getting upset at everyone bagging him. Well I probably would too.

But if you take the emotion out of it he's not doing any good, and for a guy in the leadership group, well you'd have to think that talent is a kind of prerequisite. I know he's obviously got talent to just be on an AFL list, but it's a tough gig and if you regularly stuff up you are going to get caned by the faithful.

I don't know about your points about 'could have got a better contract', the way I remember it, his name got mentioned early on as someone out of contract and then all the other guys came out and got resigned quickly and poor old DJ got left with not enough money in the kitty for him. That's the way I remember it anyhow.

As for the works hard bit... Tell you what, every single guy on this site would work hard to play just one game for the Tigers. I'd be up at 3am if it meant a game. So it's a kind irrelevant point about working hard. And given he's from a different generation to the 'early 90's' players, I fail to see the relevance. It's not like we are comparing him to Nick Daffy.

I don't reckon anyone is complaining about Jacko getting bagged, that's just footy.
But there is a genuine hatred from some people which seems odd.
He doesn't pick the team and I'm sure he doesn't play s**t on purpose.

Just reckon passion and emotion take over at times which is understandable but I've even read where his commitment has been questioned which is ridiculous.

Everyone is in unison I think in saying he's really stinking it up and very fortunate to be in the side.The frustration should be levelled at the match commitee who aren't doing him any favours really.

Batting ability became a consideration pretty much from the time Healy played... His infectious style and enthusiasm became required by all keepers. Cost Jack Russell his spot to Alec Stewart... was a better bat supposedly. Warnie might disagree!!;)

It truly began when Rixon was dropped in favour of the makeshift Phillips.

Anyway back on topic - Jackson's a hack, of Hackson I'm jack! Delist!

I have some serious issues with DJ and in the first half, those issues were quite obvious but in fairness to him, his 2nd half was reasonable (with the exception of the OB on the full in the last). He got pinged for holding the ball when there was no prior opportunity. He had a free arm which these days mean holding the ball (throwing it out of these situations is ok apparently).

He kicked a nice long goal in the 3rd and was unlucky not to score a 2nd that was just touched. In the last, he kicked long around the boundary line on his left. I nearly launched the remote through the t.v in anticipation of where I expected the ball to go but it went to a Cotchin 1 on 1 which he duly took.

He could be a decent role player for us if he simply learnt to play within his limitations. The RFC match committee aren't stupid anymore. They are persevering for a reason and he wasn't the reason we lost on the weekend.

I'm sure a few will go to town on this......

No not Dea - he is a stick insect.

Arnott is the obvious one but his form at the burgers is inconsisent at best and from the three games i have seen to be truthfulit has been crap. When he gets in the best players once he might be a chnace , two in a row and he should take his place but seriously this probably won't happen until the second half of the season.

Mate are you sure you are thinking of the correct person in regards to Dea? He is no stick insect in fact he is quite the opposite a fairly developed kid.

I have some serious issues with DJ and in the first half, those issues were quite obvious but in fairness to him, his 2nd half was reasonable (with the exception of the OB on the full in the last). He got pinged for holding the ball when there was no prior opportunity. He had a free arm which these days mean holding the ball (throwing it out of these situations is ok apparently).

He kicked a nice long goal in the 3rd and was unlucky not to score a 2nd that was just touched. In the last, he kicked long around the boundary line on his left. I nearly launched the remote through the t.v in anticipation of where I expected the ball to go but it went to a Cotchin 1 on 1 which he duly took.

He could be a decent role player for us if he simply learnt to play within his limitations. The RFC match committee aren't stupid anymore. They are persevering for a reason and he wasn't the reason we lost on the weekend.

I'm sure a few will go to town on this......
I won't! :D

:thumbsu: this post. Spot on. Jacko has limitations, but he also did some very good things in the second half that very few on here are willing to give him credit for. I'm happy to back the Selection Panel on Jacko.

Jackson is the lucky recipient of the previous administration picking skinny outside players, leaving only a few tall strong physical players on the list. He will dissapear over the years as we replace his physical abilities. That's what he brings, and some leadership. When your leaders are just role players with obvious flaws then you know you need more depth. We can bag him, but to me he is just the residue of the drafting and development of 5-10 years ago. So I don't bag him, he is what we have, let's live with it.

10 mins to go, scores level and Jackson decides to give away 3 frees in a minute of footy. Momentum changed at that point next Christensen kicks a goal and we never got any closer than that again. Absolute muppet Jackson who makes stupid decisions at the wrong time again and again and again.

We would be better going in with a kid than to keep giving Jackson games.

Our future is bleak while this clown gets games.

There was no prior opportunity in that holding the ball. That umpiring decision @ 64 apiece killed any momentum we had!!!!!

There was no prior opportunity in that holding the ball. That umpiring decision @ 64 apiece killed any momentum we had!!!!!

yeah but Hackson did SFA to show the ump that he was trying to get rid of it in the tackle and then the ump blew the whistle and Hackson started pointing fingers to him. Stupidity of the highest order from a member of our "leadership group" at the point in time where we needed our experienced leaders to not make a mistake. I mean what was he trying to do? prove a point about prior opportunity? As an experienced player, who has been nabbed a trillion times for the same thing over the stretch, anyone with half a ****ing brain would have thought, s**t I better make some kind of effort to get rid of it here, because I know how these dudes operate and the last thing we want is a shot on goal from here.
But naaaa, not hackson, he thinks its a documentary on the failings of the holding the ball interpretation FFS, and its not, its a game of footy and experienced players know what not to do when the time comes and the ump is interpreting a rule. ;)

Much maligned Jordan McMahon!:D:D:D
But tell me that round 20 win over Melbourne didn't leave you on a high for a week!

If we had a clue we would have told the doggies to pissoff because he wasn't worth that much and offered more what he was worth and said take it or we will take him PSD since we did have pick 1.
FFS incredible how incompetent we have been in the past.

Prior opportunity has nothing to do with it. Gee it amazes me how many supporters have no idea about the rules of the game they watch week in, week out....

There are 2 parts to holding the ball. I will paraphrase for you.

1. If you have had prior opportunity, are tackled and do not dispose of the ball immediately in a legal manner, you will be pinged.

2. If you have not had prior opportunity, then you will be given a reasonable (insert interpretation here) amount of time to attempt to dispose of the ball before being pinged. If you are lying on the ball, making no attempt to get rid off it, a la Jackson, you get pinged. All he needed to do was thrash around like a madman, making it look as though he was trying to knock the ball out. He didn't, he just lay there and forfeited any benefit of the doubt he may have got otherwise. Simply not good enough from someone of his experience....

Prior opportunity has nothing to do with it. Gee it amazes me how many supporters have no idea about the rules of the game they watch week in, week out....

There are 2 parts to holding the ball. I will paraphrase for you.

1. If you have had prior opportunity, are tackled and do not dispose of the ball immediately in a legal manner, you will be pinged.

2. If you have not had prior opportunity, then you will be given a reasonable (insert interpretation here) amount of time to attempt to dispose of the ball before being pinged. If you are lying on the ball, making no attempt to get rid off it, a la Jackson, you get pinged. All he needed to do was thrash around like a madman, making it look as though he was trying to knock the ball out. He didn't, he just lay there and forfeited any benefit of the doubt he may have got otherwise. Simply not good enough from someone of his experience....

I was staggered when Jacko just stood getting tackled.Everyone bar Dan knew exactly what the umpire was going to do.

I just scratch my head,he's such a contradiction.
I said to my missus once "you know Jackson is a highly intelligent guy, like super intelligent".
She says laughing "no way, that crazy red head 23? He's an idiot"!

Still thinks I'm taking the piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate are you sure you are thinking of the correct person in regards to Dea? He is no stick insect in fact he is quite the opposite a fairly developed kid.

he is at least one stone lighter than jackson - that is what i meant.

I was staggered when Jacko just stood getting tackled.Everyone bar Dan knew exactly what the umpire was going to do.

I just scratch my head,he's such a contradiction.
I said to my missus once "you know Jackson is a highly intelligent guy, like super intelligent".
She says laughing "no way, that crazy red head 23? He's an idiot"!

Still thinks I'm taking the piss.

Book smarts and footy smarts are two completely different things, eh!!:thumbsu:

Imagine having Scott Selwood running around in Jackson's place right now?
That's who we were going to pick up with pick 19 before we traded it for Jordan McMahon.

i wanted tayte pears with that pick to go with rance at 18 and mackenzie who i wanted the yr before instead of the stick shank edwards. oh deary me and im just an idiot what does that make those running the show.

i wanted tayte pears with that pick to go with rance at 18 and mackenzie who i wanted the yr before instead of the stick shank edwards. oh deary me and im just an idiot what does that make those running the show.

Here's a medal for you.

Feel better?

hindsight is a wonderful thing. knowing our club we probably couldnt develop them anyway.

Is Daniel Jackson the new Greg Tivendale? Give the guy a break FFS. If he is not up to it, he is not up to it. I'm with Santa in this, I blame the club administration for their drafting and selection etc

Time to move on Today white.maric vickery, miller,riewoldt, grimes had lower dreamtean points that him. morris had 3 more amd rance 6 more.

he stays until someone pushes him out - its as simple as that.

Haha wtf am I reading? If the selection committee start picking our team based on DT points it's time to give up and fold.

Jackson is s**t and could easily be replaced and Dea is in no way a "stick insect". The sooner he is in the senior squad the better. I would love to see Newman pushed up the ground and Dea come into his spot, Newie would be a much better mid/hff than Jacko.

yeah but Hackson did SFA to show the ump that he was trying to get rid of it in the tackle and then the ump blew the whistle and Hackson started pointing fingers to him. Stupidity of the highest order from a member of our "leadership group" at the point in time where we needed our experienced leaders to not make a mistake. I mean what was he trying to do? prove a point about prior opportunity? As an experienced player, who has been nabbed a trillion times for the same thing over the stretch, anyone with half a ****ing brain would have thought, s**t I better make some kind of effort to get rid of it here, because I know how these dudes operate and the last thing we want is a shot on goal from here.
But naaaa, not hackson, he thinks its a documentary on the failings of the holding the ball interpretation FFS, and its not, its a game of footy and experienced players know what not to do when the time comes and the ump is interpreting a rule. ;)

WTF...What would the umpires know about holding the ball and having prior opportunity...

Watched the the St Kilda/Freo game and Del Santo got wrapped up in a bear hug and brought to ground...umpire paid a free against him for not doing more to break the tackle...

Split second...couda...shouda...done a spin...wriggled furiously...done a Houdini and burst the opponents arms with a mighty chest heave...

Unfortunately the Umpire was partially unsighted...WTF...I'll pay a free against...

Commentator on TV said...some of these umpires have no idea of the strenght involved in tackling...

WTF...what would the Umpires know...every week is a relevation...:p:eek::D...

Is Daniel Jackson the new Greg Tivendale? Give the guy a break FFS. If he is not up to it, he is not up to it. I'm with Santa in this, I blame the club administration for their drafting and selection etc

Wish it was Greg Tivendale out there instead of Wacko Jacko.

Greg Tivendale had more skill in his right toe than Jackson has.

WTF...What would the umpires know about holding the ball and having prior opportunity...

Watched the the St Kilda/Freo game and Del Santo got wrapped up in a bear hug and brought to ground...umpire paid a free against him for not doing more to break the tackle...

Split second...couda...shouda...done a spin...wriggled furiously...done a Houdini and burst the opponents arms with a mighty chest heave...

Unfortunately the Umpire was partially unsighted...WTF...I'll pay a free against...

WTF...what would the Umpires know...every week is a relevation...:p:eek::D...

Commentator on TV said...some of these umpires have no idea of the strenght involved in tackling...

oh ok, so you are looking at the whole thing in a one sided manner.
DOnt forget there is another player involved who might have to be rewarded, the tackler. I mean for to long, the tackler has never been rewarded by his efforts. More often than not, over the stretch the best they would get was a ball up. We were screaming blue murder over the stretch when our players laid tackles, only for the ump to ball it up.
But you seem to miss the point anyway when talking about the Hackson free.
He did SFA, just lay there, he could have done something, anything to show he made some kind of attempt. But no, he thought otherwise and did nothing hoping the ump would deem it no prior opportunity. yeah he would have had Hackson not lay there like a stunned mullet.
The greyness of that rule leaves the ump to make a call, its up to the player to make that call goes his way, i.e. ball up, by doing anything that even remotely looks like an attempt.
Doing nothing, lying there, then when he is pinged, getting up and pointing the finger.
FFS, had it been a G Ablett the ump would have been thinking i might have ****ed up. WTF does Hackson think he is? the ump would have thought get on with it you stupid fool, who the hell is going to worry about your questioning of the decision, apart from the tigerheads in their forum. ;)

oh ok, so you are looking at the whole thing in a one sided manner.
DOnt forget there is another player involved who might have to be rewarded, the tackler. I mean for to long, the tackler has never been rewarded by his efforts. More often than not, over the stretch the best they would get was a ball up. We were screaming blue murder over the stretch when our players laid tackles, only for the ump to ball it up.
But you seem to miss the point anyway when talking about the Hackson free.
He did SFA, just lay there, he could have done something, anything to show he made some kind of attempt. But no, he thought otherwise and did nothing hoping the ump would deem it no prior opportunity. yeah he would have had Hackson not lay there like a stunned mullet.
The greyness of that rule leaves the ump to make a call, its up to the player to make that call goes his way, i.e. ball up, by doing anything that even remotely looks like an attempt.
Doing nothing, lying there, then when he is pinged, getting up and pointing the finger.
FFS, had it been a G Ablett the ump would have been thinking i might have ****ed up. WTF does Hackson think he is? the ump would have thought get on with it you stupid fool, who the hell is going to worry about your questioning of the decision, apart from the tigerheads in their forum. ;)

Jackson is without a shadow of a doubt the dumbest smart bloke ever.

Agree with what you say. All he had to do was try and get the ball out, pretend, show something. But the clueless at football Jackson stays perfectly still.

Dumbest smart bloke ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back