Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Another article about how well we are settling in Brisbane by our own club. The go home factor promoted within and forever imprinted on the new player's mind. Self fulfilling prophecy? Me thinks yes if our own club regurgitates it ad nauseam.
:rolleyes:

He is done pretty well in the streamed games I think. He is playing as an attacking chf/third tall. Reasonable defensively but work to be done but the real point of difference him with our other key defenders is his work going the other way. He will be a high possession player and he is getting quite a bit of it. His skills are pretty good but he is still pretty slight and there is work to be done on his body. I was not his biggest fan pre draft but I have been impressed so far.

Watched at a pre season session doing a spoiling exercise. Was constantly talking to Rog and coaches and as the drill continued there were improvements in his spoiling. Only a small thing but was impressed by his attention to detail and learning from those around him.

does anybody know where daniel is at .... how long before he makes his debut.

he seems to be behind the others drafted who have already got there.

Yeah someone with knowledge please let us know. I don't even know what his position is anymore, I thought he was a KPD but someone said he has been playing as a HBF or 3rd tall, now hes a forward??????

He's a running HBF who could potentially play as a 3rd tall. Never was a key defender and doubt he will be despite his 194cm. I see him as a Birchall type. Think he could be well suited to playing loose man in defence taking intercept marks and then rebounding.

I like what I have seen of him. Probably more of a project than the other draftees from his class other than Freeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he was drafted Stephen Conole said this:

"Daniel's a hybrid defender who's had a considerable growth spurt over the past 12 to 18 months. He's had some experience playing through midfield as well as half-back and he's a lovely penetrating left-foot kick. I saw him play a couple of games at the back end of last season, and he showed some nice glimpses of being able to win his own ball. He's got a bit of work to do, Daniel would be the first to admit that, but we see him as a player with enormous upside." Stephen Conole

The bolded would indicate that he's going to be given some time to work on his game. I think we can have some patience with him given the amount of debutants we've had this year already.

Yeah someone with knowledge please let us know. I don't even know what his position is anymore, I thought he was a KPD but someone said he has been playing as a HBF or 3rd tall, now hes a forward??????

His always played in a few positions. Never really settled in one. Was handy for his teams as a junior as he could play more than just the one role which is something a fair amount of juniors struggle with.

Never was going to slot straight in. I think he'll play a couple of games towards the end of the year though.

I can see McStay developing into an attacking CHB in the same vein as his head coach, there is still a long way to go but the kid certainly has a lot of potential.

Was lucky enough to chat to Dan for 10-15 minutes Friday night at a (poorly attended) WA supporters group function. Very well spoken and level headed kid we have there, amazing he's still just 18.

Doesn't expect to play this season, even when I said Leppa has stated a desire to blood some youth. He said he doesn't think he's ready to be taking on Pav and co, and that standing Roughie in the Hawks pre-season game was daunting. (Said Roughie was a genuinely nice bloke and wished him luck both for the game and his career.)

Said he is being groomed in the backline, not sure (but hopes) in a key possie. Very happy to be learning the ropes this year and getting a handle on what it means to be a professional footballer, including diet and alcohol. When asked if he ever just wanted a bottle of coke and chips on a Friday night he replied "that's the choice you have to make if you want to be serious about this". Also said that his last junk food was prior to being drafted, and that he feels 'shocking' after he eats something he shouldn't.

After 10 minutes or so I was game enough to ask about 'gohomeitis' and McStay lived up to his name, said "no idea why anyone would want to leave. Brisbane weather sensational and never below 20 degrees, and besides he thinks being away from his mates and family will make him grow up faster.

Having a fickle teenage brain might change things, but for mine here's a kid saying all the right things, knowing his place in the pecking order and not assuming for a second that he's guaranteed anything in the AFL. Seems a very solid citizen with the exact attitude we need. Hope he's as good a footballer.

(Also had about 15 mins each with Rich and Lester if anyone's interested.)

Another Lion Unleashed
lions.com.au
June 26, 2014

The Brisbane Lions will unveil their eighth debutant on Saturday night when they take on North Melbourne at the Gabba.

Daniel McStay (Pick No.25 at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft) has been named to play his first senior AFL match under lights at the Gabba this weekend.

McStay-Hero.jpg

Good luck Dan! :)

Would've been nervous had I been Dan. Good start, but was quietish afterwards. Was fairly accountable on Black. Still a bit raw, but we have a lot to work with in Dan. Very excited for his future at the Lions!!!

What a memorable night for young Dan.

1_15BLNM14MW2156.jpg

Not the best debut, but really good to see Browny put his arm around his shoulder like that. The perfect reminder for what an inauspicious debut can really lead to...

Still I saw some nice things amongst the nerves, there will be calls for him to be dropped but Leppa seems to have liked letting debutantes get a couple of games under the belt before sending them back to the 2s.

It will be interesting to see if Gardiner gets his spot back. I think he should but it would be harsh on McStay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back