Danyle Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Pearce's situation will affect the FFC view on Wellingham as a few have suggested. RTB's identified midfield depth as an issue and depth isn't really solved by 1 extra body. However, you'd think the cost of SW both in picks and cash might mean they continue to address the depth in other ways if DP makes it to us.

I wouldn't think so..... Pearce can slot in at half-forward, wing or halfback playing as the outside runner at clearances.

Wellingham plays his best football as the inside-outside high possession midfielder... But lost out on the role to Sidebottom and Beams this year.

Wellingham would come in as our 5th best midfielder (Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Hill) and push everyone else back 1 spot. Which will be good as we develop a really deep midfield (like Hawthorn) and protects us from injuries effecting the team record.

I wouldn't think so..... Pearce can slot in at half-forward, wing or halfback playing as the outside runner at clearances.

Wellingham plays his best football as the inside-outside high possession midfielder... But lost out on the role to Sidebottom and Beams this year.

Wellingham would come in as our 5th best midfielder (Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Hill) and push everyone else back 1 spot. Which will be good as we develop a really deep midfield (like Hawthorn) and protects us from injuries effecting the team record.

Fair point but do we spend the picks and the money on someone to drop in to 5th spot on the depth chart when it is highly likely we can find someone to provide very close to that input, at a fraction of the cost, by internal improvement or drafting a bigger bodied midfield prospect later on in the draft?

It seems our first pick might be the price and even with the vagaries of the draft, all clubs are hoping to get better than that with their first pick. It doesn't turn out that way but that's certainly the plan when you pick the kid you do. Fair enough if SW was addressing a glaring hole but in this case, as you say, he's mid-level output.

If we don't get Pearce then maybe but after giving it more thought, if we do, I'd be even less inclined to pursue him at that price.

Fair point but do we spend the picks and the money on someone to drop in to 5th spot on the depth chart when it is highly likely we can find someone to provide very close to that input, at a fraction of the cost, by internal improvement or drafting a bigger bodied midfield prospect later on in the draft?

It seems our first pick might be the price and even with the vagaries of the draft, all clubs are hoping to get better than that with their first pick. It doesn't turn out that way but that's certainly the plan when you pick the kid you do. Fair enough if SW was addressing a glaring hole but in this case, as you say, he's mid-level output.

If we don't get Pearce then maybe but after giving it more thought, if we do, I'd be even less inclined to pursue him at that price.

I like the Pearce deal more and more. Why pay over the tops for the 5th best big bodied midfielder on your list, and maybe not even that once Morabito is back. Pearce has more upside for the team balance. Wellingham sounds like Dalziell again.

I get the feeling that Pearce will be massive for you guys if he heads out West! doesnt handle tags to well, but with yor list, opposition teams will be conscious of Hill, Fyfe and company which will free him up. Such a dangerous player on his day, really hoping we match the offer from a port point of view and he stays put. Unfortunately i think his all yours :(

I like the Pearce deal more and more. Why pay over the tops for the 5th best big bodied midfielder on your list, and maybe not even that once Morabito is back. Pearce has more upside for the team balance. Wellingham sounds like Dalziell again.

If it weren't for the likely loss of our 1st rounder to get Wellingham in, I'd actually prefer him in the team versus Pearce. Wellingham has the advantage of playing inside/out, and is less likely to go missing as a result.

But we're chasing outside speed and disposal, and while Wellingham gives us a nice upgrade on the first and a decent upgrade on the second (depending on who he displaces), Pearce gives us a very good improvement in both. So both guys tick the requisite boxes.

I think Wellingham would be a more consistent contributor, but I've got high hopes that the bloke we pick with our first rounder will add something important to the side... and could well lose that with Wellingham. Net result... hope we get Pearce, and let Wellingham slide.

One thing though...

What has Wellingham ever done to you for you to compare him to Dalziell?

* Wellingham, Pearce will be great if we get him. We have Morabito to come back, Neale, Sheridan & Sutcliffe in the queue and that's without even considering Michie and Pitt. That's a shitload of depth.

**** Wellingham, Pearce will be great if we get him. We have Morabito to come back, Neale, Sheridan & Sutcliffe in the queue and that's without even considering Michie and Pitt. That's a shitload of depth.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with this despite some Pearce reservations. I think we can get Wellingham output from the development of some of the guys already on our list.

The next question E-Shed is whether that changes if Port matches and keeps Pearce?

Bad.... Very bad... As horrible as mzungu is, Pearce is worse

ouch no offense but if you think Mzungu is horrible you have no idea how the dockers went well this year, you just think by seeing players flying in 'hard at the ball' was why we good this year

heres a tip, play footy for a month or two, have a run around, might open your eyes a bit more than that couch/tv combo you do

We will have soo much X factor in our team. Hill, Morabito, Pearce, Walters, Ballantyne and the developing Crozier. The trio of Hill, Mora and Pearce would frighten teams, can't wait to see those three on the park, actually, can't wait to see Morabito out of rehab!

QUESTION; Does Mayne have X-Factor?

He was deadly in front of goals and intimidating in forward defensive pressure. Is there more to get out of Mayne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUESTION; Does Mayne have X-Factor?

He was deadly in front of goals and intimidating in forward defensive pressure. Is there more to get out of Mayne?

Yeah definately. He improved out of sight this year with the correct structures and positioning around him. I reckon the foundation of chemistry that was laid this year will continue in the forward line next season and we will see Mayne, Ballaz and Walters know what the other is going to do. Mayne will only get better and better.

We will have soo much X factor in our team. Hill, Morabito, Pearce, Walters, Ballantyne and the developing Crozier. The trio of Hill, Mora and Pearce would frighten teams, can't wait to see those three on the park, actually, can't wait to see Morabito out of rehab!

Was just about to say "Pearce, X-Factor?" then realised it wasn't Clancee we were talking about. :confused:

We need to get his nickname out and about ASAP!

Like you, I've heard the rumours that Wellingham doesn't like Freo and is only interested in going to WC. If that is the case I have no interest in him coming to us, regardless of his skills. Otherwise we just have another Tarrant on our hands and for all the money put in and the delayed experience of a Crozier, Neale etc., we will just be another man down in a couple of years. Getting Wellingham would not be moneyball, rather more like paying full price for a plasma screen at Harvey Norman.

Yeah definately. He improved out of sight this year with the correct structures and positioning around him. I reckon the foundation of chemistry that was laid this year will continue in the forward line next season and we will see Mayne, Ballaz and Walters know what the other is going to do. Mayne will only get better and better.

I'm hoping to see more Harlem Globetrotters from the forwards as they learn to read each other better - same for the mids

Nine news last night said that Fremantle had withdrawn from talks with Wellingham.It now appears to be a battle between the Eddies and the Yellas.
Not sure why Freo withdrew,maybe he was asking for too much.Or maybe he asked for more from Fremantle than he asked from the Yellas.

Nine news last night said that Fremantle had withdrawn from talks with Wellingham.It now appears to be a battle between the Eddies and the Yellas.
Not sure why Freo withdrew,maybe he was asking for too much.Or maybe he asked for more from Fremantle than he asked from the Yellas.

D Costa (Wellinghams Mgr) has come out and denied this...Freo with a 4 year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back