David Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It looks like the Roos are in a bit of strife and David Noble is not going great guns down there. He is probably not enjoying it either now to be honest.

Also feels like that we have lost a bit of our edge since he left - our improvement has stalled - and often looks like Fages is out of ideas when games go down to the wire. The game against the Hawks was probably the first game in a while where we had finals type pressure applied to us at the latter stages and again our game plan/style didn't stand up

Should we be in David's ear about coming back to us? It could potentially be a win-win-win for Roos-Noble-Us
Would there be enough room in our soft cap?

I understand why David Noble left and with the wisdom of hindsight I think he would have been far better off seeing us through to a premiership. I am sure he would have been a logical contender for the CEO role when Greg Swann decides to retire - he could still be!
Getting him back begs the question - in what role? Danny Daly is now the GM and appears to be highly regarded...I think bumping him out for David to return would be culturally dysfunctional. I think Noble's move to North has been a short-term mistake. However, if it implodes at North, I reckon he would still be highly sought after in the industry.

I think our footy has been better this year. I wasn't a massive fan of the way we were winning games last year.

Absolutely agree and the proof is in the 8-2 start and our %. We're also a few weeks away from having our three key forwards finally reunite - that's when the fun will really start.

Off field we're close to having state of the art facilities, just hit a membership record and were able to retain key AFLW players.

I just don't understand how it could be perceived that our development has stalled in either area.

Absolutely agree and the proof is in the 8-2 start and our %. We're also a few weeks away from having our three key forwards finally reunite - that's when the fun will really start.

Off field we're close to having state of the art facilities, just hit a membership record and were able to retain key AFLW players.

I just don't understand how it could be perceived that our development has stalled in either area.
The midfield has certainly stalled or players we were hopeful of producing more in there, just haven’t yet for whatever reasons.

I think it’s safe to say if Lachie wasn’t having a Brownlow year we would’ve lost another couple of games, especially early on.

With Zorko carrying injury and not spending as much time in there, as well as Lyons not producing as well as he has in the last few years, it has definitely not helped the situation.

I think one could argue, definitely individually, some of our defenders are down on form (Harris, Gardiner, Rich) but then Adams is also having an AA year to counteract that as well as Kiddy’s improvement.

I think looking at our win/loss as a guide to how well we are doing is overestimating the whole of the competition right now.

Other than Melbourne the rest of the comp all seem a bit meh to me. I mean we have Freo, Carlton and St Kilda as the 3-5 teams right now. All have played well to get there but do they really strike fear into anyone?

I personally think the whole competition right now is down and has been for a number of years. That could be the after effect of introducing 2 new teams and diluting the talent pool ~10 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble definitely seems to have taken a sip from the poisened chalice though the poor bastard. Conspiracy - the AFL is orchestrating the downfall of the Kangaroos so they can ship them out of Victoria. Watch for the recruiters who recently quit to get cushy jobs with the AFL :think:

I’m looking purely at our on field performances.

We’re still playing the same game style, with some refinement, reliant on the same core players, with a couple of changes on the periphery of the team.

From my perspective, it looks like we’ll continue down the same route until Zorko and Rich’s legs fall off and Neale is the dominant figure in our midfield.

Much like Geelong is all in on their style of play as long as Selwood, Dangerfield and Hawkins are able to perform.

Because we’re a very settled team, who have been playing this style for 5 seasons now, we’ll beat younger inexperienced teams, and teams with less talent. That’s to be expected.

Pretty much why I was angry about our losses to Geelong and the Hawks. We’re a better team. But they beat us because of the below.

Two aspects of our play really frustrate me.

First is our very slow, conservative ball movement out of defence, particularly down the line. We are inviting teams to to beat us around the ball. And when we do turn it over, they beat us on the spread with run. Our known weakness, which we still haven’t addressed.

Secondly our entrees in to the forward 50 are still garbage a lot of the time. It’s kick it to a pack, and let our smalls try and crumb a goal.

I would love to see a lot more creating space for one of our tall or small marking forwards to lead in to. Spread our talls and spread the oppositions defence. But more often than not, we’ll have two or three talls or competing for the same high ball coming in.

Some teams (Geelong, Melbourne and Richmond particularly) are very good at it. We’re garbage, unless it’s a one out forward leading to space because we got a fast transition from a turnover up field.

Noble definitely seems to have taken a sip from the poisened chalice though the poor bastard. Conspiracy - the AFL is orchestrating the downfall of the Kangaroos so they can ship them out of Victoria. Watch for the recruiters who recently quit to get cushy jobs with the AFL :think:
Interesting discussion from Caroline Wilson yesterday, suggesting Kane Cornes pot shot at Luff for his analytics based approach to recruiting, was the last straw for Luff and triggered him walking.

I did wonder how Luff would do as the head guy, coming from Champion Data.

Noble always had analytics guy when he was at Adelaide and with us, in an advisory role.

One of Norths (junior) recruiters is sometimes active on the North BigFooty board, I wonder if he’s provided any insight on their forum. I don’t have the time to go reading their board to dig through hundreds of pages on recent events.

I remember hearing years ago that a number of old Fitzroy fans decided not to join Brisbane and instead started to follow North I d assume that is because they wanted Fitzroy to merge with North.

Anyway, those Fitzroy fans must be having a dejavu feeling if that is the case which you described Lionheart182.

We haven't had the 3 big forwards up and running at the same time this year . Even so McStay and Daniher have been leading up to the wings on occasions when they played.

When we come up against say Melbourne it's imperative that our talls seperate and put distance between their marking talls and that we bring it in low to the lead or chaos bouncy, or penetratively over the back when we're close enough to get it near the goal line. If we're forced to come in higher and have the right match to a one on one.. And keep it away from Gawn.

Of course I'd be keeping it up my sleeve until a match that really counted. That's my plan. I daresay it won't be adopted.

I remember hearing years ago that a number of old Fitzroy fans decided not to join Brisbane and instead started to follow North I d assume that is because they wanted Fitzroy to merge with North.

Anyway, those Fitzroy fans must be having a dejavu feeling if that is the case which you described Lionheart182.
News to me. I don't know any Fitzroy supporter who decided to follow North.

News to me. I don't know any Fitzroy supporter who decided to follow North.
I dont know any personally, athough some of my old man's old mates who were all Fitzroy before he moved to QLD could have but I just recalled reading some time ago that some Fitzroy supporters couldn't follow an interstate team and either stopped watching AFL or joined North. Maybe I have it wrong, but sincerely, given how knowledgeable you are about footy and all things Lions ( I say that b/c I really like your posting and I am not being patronizing) I probably have it wrong. :thumbsu:

I dont know any personally, athough some of my old man's old mates who were all Fitzroy before he moved to QLD could have but I just recalled reading some time ago that some Fitzroy supporters couldn't follow an interstate team and either stopped watching AFL or joined North. Maybe I have it wrong, but sincerely, given how knowledgeable you are about footy and all things Lions ( I say that b/c I really like your posting and I am not being patronizing) I probably have it wrong.:thumbsu:
Na there could be someone McIvor. But to my knowledge every Fitzroy supporter I know or know of like me switched straight to Brisbane Lions or started following the amateurs where the Fitzroy club still played. And a few just gave up on the AFL. Of course as success became more imminent a lot returned as you saw from our turnouts in any finals match. Like any club really ,when you have a successful era they all come out of the woodwork.

Na there could be someone McIvor. But to my knowledge every Fitzroy supporter I know or know of like me switched straight to Brisbane Lions or started following the amateurs where the Fitzroy club still played. And a few just gave up on the AFL. Of course as success became more imminent a lot returned as you saw from our turnouts in any finals match. Like any club really ,when you have a successful era they all come out of the woodwork.
There were a couple of Fitzroy-North supporters kicking around on BigFooty back in ye olde days, but yeah, pretty thin on the ground.

Welcome to always winter Tasmania!