News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 would definitely put him in the conversation.

We've only won 3 of the last 45 odd games.

5 wins in the next 11 would be turning water to wine.

Not really. I got higher expectations of what our players are capable of if they work together.
Five more wins for season considering how absolutely horrible season has been would certainly be an improvement but that is still 6 losses more. It is not going to have an untried coach the keys for good. Five wins would certainly lock him in as one of main assistants to keep his job for 2020.
Go Teague. Let's see what you can make of the rest of season.

So exciting to hear him speak, it is a real shame Bolton was so stubborn and couldn't see how paralysed with over coaching the team was. He should of worked that out and taken step back and reset the boys. Everything hearing from the club is the feeling around the place has improved massively.

Expecting a massive crowd.

It did seem like Bolton was trying to piece together a team that played Hawthorn’s meticulous brand of footy, which is fine when you’ve got GOAT players steadying everything, and a lot of experience on field who’d been working at Clarko’s gameplan for years, but it’s not conducive to our current setup.

I think Teague is making the right noises with regards to how we want to attack the second half of the year, and from the outside I think he’s sensed we’ve been acting against ourselves by being too fixated on the structures and tactical imperatives, which may be the root cause of our disconnection between our midfield and forwardline. There’s probably quite a lot of pent up frustration from his end, as he’s trying his best to get the forwardline to function, but if our midfield and defence are moving the ball too slowly and in the wrong directions, it’s impossible for the forwardline to just adapt on the fly. We trained all of pre-season to isolate our key forwards one-one-one, by being direct with our movement, and handballing to a player on the move at every opportunity, and that inclination (by design or accident) is no longer there.

Teague was highly regarded by Adelaide supporters while he was there, and he’s had a decent apprenticeship so far, so I’m interested to see how he fares. I’ve liked his personality in the interviews and Mic’d up segments. Seems to be pretty relaxed with the players, but has a good knowledge base, and remembering him from his Carlton days was a good clubman and always played with intent despite his limited talent.

Keen to see how he goes.

Not really. I got higher expectations of what our players are capable of if they work together.
Five more wins for season considering how absolutely horrible season has been would certainly be an improvement but that is still 6 losses more. It is not going to have an untried coach the keys for good. Five wins would certainly lock him in as one of main assistants to keep his job for 2020.
Go Teague. Let's see what you can make of the rest of season.

Our win rate is like 6.5% in our last 45 games.

If he wins 5 from 11 thats about 45% win rate.

You don't think instantly improving our output 7 fold puts him in the convo?

Just reviewed his coaching history.

He doesn't come from any of the predominant schools of thought (Thompson, Clarkson, Roos) doing his apprenticeship as a VFL coach of the Bullants before moving to be an assistant under Worsfold (WC), Watters (St Kilda), and Walsh(Adelaide).

If he became our long term coach, I'd be interested in seeing what he'd come up with, how he'd use what we've got in interesting ways. It's good to get ideas that aren't conventional in house.

Still believe we will have a better 2nd half of the season, but there will also be some poor performances short term

Let's hope the conga line doesn't start all over again

Understand where our list is at, any coach, ANY COACH, needs time

It’s not only time Arr0w, it’s a multitude of things complex business administration of a footy clubs, operators have different levels of skill and abilities, egos can get in the way so easily , so many factors its complicated like most thins in life.
I liked Brendon, his qualities are admirable and obvious to all and I think he has a fair go at CFC all things consider. Patience was just running out the media’s constant frenzy didn’t help either.
It was his destiny, Brendon will do very well in the football world and CFC is proud to have been associated.
Agree with you after the Bye , given Teague’s touch and the luck of better personal availability will see the Baggers do much better. Murphy and Jones to come in and perhaps some surprise Le Bois, TDK , DeLuca.
We love our Blues and things can only get better. Ciao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reviewed his coaching history.

He doesn't come from any of the predominant schools of thought (Thompson, Clarkson, Roos) doing his apprenticeship as a VFL coach of the Bullants before moving to be an assistant under Worsfold (WC), Watters (St Kilda), and Walsh(Adelaide).

If he became our long term coach, I'd be interested in seeing what he'd come up with, how he'd use what we've got in interesting ways. It's good to get ideas that aren't conventional in house.

One thing you can be sure of. After seeing how negative Pagan was when he coached us and how inflexible and defensive biased Bolts was , he knows those things in general are not the answers if you want to see players and a team develop properly towards winning habits. You got to kick goals to win, always have. We should be aiming to kick 16 goals a game and that be the offensive goal to develop as these youngsters learn to play together as a team.

It’s not only time Arr0w, it’s a multitude of things complex business administration of a footy clubs, operators have different levels of skill and abilities, egos can get in the way so easily , so many factors its complicated like most thins in life.
I liked Brendon, his qualities are admirable and obvious to all and I think he has a fair go at CFC all things consider. Patience was just running out the media’s constant frenzy didn’t help either.
It was his destiny, Brendon will do very well in the football world and CFC is proud to have been associated.
Agree with you after the Bye , given Teague’s touch and the luck of better personal availability will see the Baggers do much better. Murphy and Jones to come in and perhaps some surprise Le Bois, TDK , DeLuca.
We love our Blues and things can only get better. Ciao

Bolton may have been given time, but wasn't given the list.

Club may point to a lack of results, but he was sacked to relieve pressure on the club and other individuals. They blinked, something that I thought the club was over, yet it still remains

Like what i'm hearing so far from Teague.

Nice to hear him come right out and say we're lacking a small forward which is painfully obvious to us, that we'll keep some of our tall forwards closer to goal where they're dangerous to give us something to kick to, and that we'll aim get the ball in there quicker.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ca...e/news-story/e5a34391955b47b422ddebeab923f0bf

“We are going to change up things a little bit. We want to keep our tall forwards closer to goal. It is a challenge,” he said.
“Mitch has probably been so team orientated taking himself out of the game at times to give us a better system ahead of the ball, which hasn’t helped his own personal performance, but that’s the sort of player he is; I love coaching him; he always puts the team first. We need those guys to share the workload evenly together.
“We’re dying for a small forward, but maybe we’ve got one there, we just haven’t given them enough opportunity. I think we can score a lot more if we can get it in there a lot quicker.”

Let's not kid ourselves. There were serious issues with Bolton towards the end. If they kept going down the same path it was only going to get worse, not better.

The club made an informed decision to let Bolton go and I don't believe that was because of media pressure. I believe it was because they'd lost faith in Bolton as a coach.

At the time he was sacked Bolton's win/loss record for the season was totally unacceptable, his system was in disarray and his rhetoric was unbearable. On top of that he was doubling down on his game plan with more and more education, rather than stripping out or modifying the things that weren't working. Being a good bloke is not enough to keep your job under those circumstances.

If you want to know what was wrong with Bolton's coaching you need to look no further than what Teague says he will change, i.e.
1. Less analysis paralysis
2. Allow our talented list to play more on instinct and more to their strengths
2. Change the offensive system, not just the forwards the whole team
3. Educate the players during the week, but let them play football on the weekends

If Teague can get this team playing anywhere near it's potential in the second half of the year I think he's a coach/person we can all get behind long term.

Last edited:
Like the interview with Teague. I think he's approaching it the right way for the scenario, the players need to enjoy themselves for the second half of the year and start playing to their strengths.

Hypothetical... say he was able to pull out 5 wins in the second half of the season (a stretch I know)... do you think his name would start to be considered as the Senior Coach? Perhaps with an older coaching director alongside of him?

I don’t see why not. Clarkson, Roos and Lyon were all first time AFL coaches at one point.

So Teague wants to free the guys up and let them play to their strengths in the hope we score more. So..... what was Bolton doing this whole time?

Was he being restrictive to try and force our offensive players to learn how to defend all the time?
Were the players afraid of making mistakes by looking inside the corridor and instead went along the boundary?

If anyone has any coaching experience or analysis on how a coach can make such a difference i would love to learn more.

Met Teaguey the year after he won the John Nicholls medal one night out at Billboards. My mate was Captain Carlton at the time and somehow struck up a friendship with him and invited him out. Was just the 3 of us and really noticed at the time how he was the opposite of the typical 'look at me i'm a footballer' type attitude you got back then. Very humble and down to earth, didn't want the attention but was still polite and friendly to all. Wrapped he's at our club and given a chance until the end of the season.

Am really looking forward to see what Teague can extract from the players. As mentioned here he's certainly saying the things I think we all want to hear so hopefully the boys can back up the talk.

Last edited:
Would be very happy for Teague to realise his dream as CFC senior coach and we do well together, but just as happy if Ross Lyon is our senior mentor and coach, Ross's expertise and experience are invaluable to our team of youngsters.
Consider that end this year or next we'll lose, Simmo, Thomas, Murphy and Kreuzer with Ed Curnow close behind them.

Like Teague as a player, got the best out of himself.

Hope he can get the best out of the players in what is left of the season.

Best of luck

It did seem like Bolton was trying to piece together a team that played Hawthorn’s meticulous brand of footy, which is fine when you’ve got GOAT players steadying everything, and a lot of experience on field who’d been working at Clarko’s gameplan for years, but it’s not conducive to our current setup.

I think Teague is making the right noises with regards to how we want to attack the second half of the year, and from the outside I think he’s sensed we’ve been acting against ourselves by being too fixated on the structures and tactical imperatives, which may be the root cause of our disconnection between our midfield and forwardline. There’s probably quite a lot of pent up frustration from his end, as he’s trying his best to get the forwardline to function, but if our midfield and defence are moving the ball too slowly and in the wrong directions, it’s impossible for the forwardline to just adapt on the fly. We trained all of pre-season to isolate our key forwards one-one-one, by being direct with our movement, and handballing to a player on the move at every opportunity, and that inclination (by design or accident) is no longer there.

Teague was highly regarded by Adelaide supporters while he was there, and he’s had a decent apprenticeship so far, so I’m interested to see how he fares. I’ve liked his personality in the interviews and Mic’d up segments. Seems to be pretty relaxed with the players, but has a good knowledge base, and remembering him from his Carlton days was a good clubman and always played with intent despite his limited talent.

Keen to see how he goes.
I'm not sure he lacked talent. He was a super good overhead mark, but his huge Achilles heel was his lack of leg speed. Once the other teams started running off him his career was over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back