Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this escalated quickly. The wolves howling for blood. I’m as disappointed as any of the posters on here venting their spleens but sacking the coach is really not on my radar.

It was a long day yesterday. I hate weekday footy. Getting home after midnight. Missing a meal. However the walk back to Flinders Street and the train ride gives you plenty of think time. And not once did I contemplate sacking the coach.

This is about the players. Always was. Always will be.

Two games in and we’re removing the coach?

Come on now.
We are not ‘two games in’.

This has been ongoing for years. The club has set a clear target of playing finals this year, history has shown that it is very hard to make finals from 0-2.

We have every right to start questioning his performance

Clubs that successfully persevered with their senior coach did so by having the appropriate support around them - and in Richmond's case, shaking those structures up after a comprehensive review.

We've been all at sea since Neil Craig left - and yes, it is absolutely possible to judge coaching performance from outside the club.
Yep. Looking back now losing Craig really hurt our coaching ranks.

Okay, will be sacked with our next loss
How is what I said different to what you said earlier? Posters can look at our results and coaching panel comparatively to others and make assessments.

Might aswell shut the forum down if you have to know the inner going ons at the club to comment.

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here, nice to be with you, and a serious topic for us passionate supporters to get stuck into!

Let's wait and see on Teague, end of the season is the appropriate time to make a decision, after seeing the balance of good (hopefully) and bad (we've seen it). A long season still ahead, and things could get much better or much worse this year, but by the end of the year we'll know, and so will the club. However, I agree with other posters that our midfield structures and performance have been sorely lacking, and unless a miracle happens this season, would very much like to see a gun midfield coach replacing Barker/Stanton.

In the short term however, a few on field changes have to be made, both to send a message and to lift the morale of the guys that toil week in and week out (Walsh, Weiters and a fair few others). Murphy has been a loyal servant of the club but has clearly run his race, it's sad to watch him just going through the motions, incapable of contributing at the required level, much less setting a standard for the young guys. In 2 games, Fogarty has already shown what we miss by having Murphy on the park. Let's bring in Stocker in his place next week and see how much the standard lifts.

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here, nice to be with you, and a serious topic for us passionate supporters to get stuck into!

Let's wait and see on Teague, end of the season is the appropriate time to make a decision, after seeing the balance of good (hopefully) and bad (we've seen it). A long season still ahead, and things could get much better or much worse this year, but by the end of the year we'll know, and so will the club. However, I agree with other posters that our midfield structures and performance have been sorely lacking, and unless a miracle happens this season, would very much like to see a gun midfield coach replacing Barker/Stanton.

In the short term however, a few on field changes have to be made, both to send a message and to lift the morale of the guys that toil week in and week out (Walsh, Weiters and a fair few others). Murphy has been a loyal servant of the club but has clearly run his race, it's sad to watch him just going through the motions, incapable of contributing at the required level, much less setting a standard for the young guys. In 2 games, Fogarty has already shown what we miss by having Murphy on the park. Let's bring in Stocker in his place next week and see how much the standard lifts.

Hi and welcome.
That is a pretty damn good debut post, and its hard to disagree with most of it.

Do not think things are as bad as they seem,We have an easy game next week for the boys to regroup and focus on, get some confidence back.

Sacking coaches every 3 years or so has been a disaster for this club, need to stick it out with Teague for at least 1 more season after this.

Club and its players need stability and continuity most of all.

Hi and welcome.
That is a pretty damn good debut post, and its hard to disagree with most of it.

Do not think things are as bad as they seem,We have an easy game next week for the boys to regroup and focus on, get some confidence back.

Sacking coaches every 3 years or so has been a disaster for this club, need to stick it out with Teague for at least 1 more season after this.

Club and its players need stability and continuity most of all.

Fair point, agree, we as a club should well know the pitfalls of moving on the coach before it's time!

Fair point, agree, we as a club should well know the pitfalls of moving on the coach before it's time!

I strongly disagreed with sacking Ratten in 2012. Proved a disastrous decision.

But I strongly agreed with Bolton sacking. His situation, in my opinion, was untenable at the time.

I really really hope the agitators give Teague all of 2021 to play out. This situation is not irredeemable. There are some positives in the first two rounds (but with plenty of negatives too).

Teague needs to do a Bill Belichick and adjust on the fly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I strongly disagreed with sacking Ratten in 2012. Proved a disastrous decision.

But I strongly agreed with Bolton sacking. His situation, in my opinion, was untenable at the time.

I really really hope the agitators give Teague all of 2021 to play out. This situation is not irredeemable. There are some positives in the first two rounds (but with plenty of negatives too).

Teague needs to do a Bill Belichick and adjust on the fly.

It's 2 games into the season mate. If we were say 2-9, than yes, questions need to at least be asked, but I think we need quite a lot more games before we can properly asses the coach and players and team.

It's 2 games into the season mate. If we were say 2-9, than yes, questions need to at least be asked, but I think we need quite a lot more games before we can properly asses the coach and players and team.
Yes, so let's see how things go from here for the rest of the season. If we don't make the finals but see plenty of positive signs, the playing group is fully committed and things look to be heading mostly in the right direction, Teague stays. If not then I suppose the decisions to be taken depend on how far off the mark we are, and where we think the major shortfalls are. I hope the win loss ledger will not look anything like 2-9.

Yes, so let's see how things go from here for the rest of the season. If we don't make the finals but see plenty of positive signs, the playing group is fully committed and things look to be heading mostly in the right direction, Teague stays. If not then I suppose the decisions to be taken depend on how far off the mark we are, and where we think the major shortfalls are. I hope the win loss ledger will not look anything like 2-9.

Re watch the first quarter. IE from the very START... and tell me that the playing group was fully committed .....

Agree sacking coaches often isn't great but equally you can't have a coach who does not have a strong defensive mentality. Look the board are just as much to blame.

Re watch the first quarter. IE from the very START... and tell me that the playing group was fully committed .....

Easy to say in hindsight, but maybe the players themselves took the Pies too lightly

I mean even with all their departures, they have been perennial finalists over the past decade, and they have still got some real quality in that team.

Not trying to defend or gloss over last night's loss but maybe The Pies are not as bad as we all thought.

How is what I said different to what you said earlier? Posters can look at our results and coaching panel comparatively to others and make assessments.

Might aswell shut the forum down if you have to know the inner going ons at the club to comment.

Having an opinion, sharing it is great for the forum. But surely some logic should be considered before crystal balling.

Can you actually see us capitulating to a point of finishing say bottom 4 or even 6, with this improving list?

While it's been made clear the expectations are finals, I doubt Teague has been told he will be sacked if we don't get there

My issue with Teague and co is that they keep playing players out of position when it's not working well. When it works great (e.g. Jones), when it doesn't, they don't move on.
SPS down back isnt working.
Setterfield on a wing isn't working.
Gibbons and Fisher up front, kicking goals but neither of them laid a tackle, which is half the job of a small forward.
Martin does his best work inside 50, keeps getting pushed into the middle.

Why don't we play players where the play best? Flexibility is great, but when it's not needed why keep pushing?

My issue with Teague and co is that they keep playing players out of position when it's not working well. When it works great (e.g. Jones), when it doesn't, they don't move on.
SPS down back isnt working.
Setterfield on a wing isn't working.
Gibbons and Fisher up front, kicking goals but neither of them laid a tackle, which is half the job of a small forward.
Martin does his best work inside 50, keeps getting pushed into the middle.

Why don't we play players where the play best? Flexibility is great, but when it's not needed why keep pushing?

*edifIKnow.gif

Don was good for ua at Adelaide up to a point and he did get us into a GF with a list that did not have a top 10 pick

The knick of Don is that is his lack of development of younger players however he is great at getting the best out of a more mature list

In the end Don wasn't the scapegoat, he became part of the problem with the camp and the way the club handles.it internally with the players and externally with the media

Im not sure how McGovern would feel about Pyke, a key reason for McGovern leaving was Pyle gave the player some home truths about getting fit and the possibility about playing him down-back.... McGovern got the shits and packed his bag

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need an outsider with some senior experience and I think Pyke had plenty to offer as a senior coach, but the timing was out and by the end of his tenure at Adelaide the club wanted to make some wholesale changes.

The camp situation was unfortunate, but the whole club was blinkered and Pyke had to front up one way or another.

Tbh McGovern's relationship with Pyke would be the last of our issues. Kind of sums up McGov though - still irks me how opportunistically he jumped onto an inflated, undeserved contract. Dumb recruiting too, with McKay and Curnow already on the list and showing potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back